Is there any point in us reporting bugs?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pax, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Pax

Pax Registered

Hello All,

some two weeks ago I spent a few hours analyzing and reporting a bug (this one: Clio Gear Change Steering Force Bug), which I also posted about in the main Clio thread.
    The result is no ISI answer at all, not even an accept or reject - and now the bug is archived.

What I ask myself then is if there is any point for me and other users to continue to spend time reporting bugs, when there seems to be no one from ISI looking at them?

ISI, if you indeed look at the reported bugs, please at least post a one line reply that you have done so - and preferably also if you accept or reject it.

Thanks,

2. coops

coops Banned

yes..... and they will not always contact you... they are looking.. its the way they do things.

3. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Chances are that ISI has someone, or more than one someone that looks over the forums and finds the list of bugs to put into their internal database of bugs that need to be looked into. As posted in other places, if the bug is a game breaker it gets immediate attention, if not, it gets looked at in the order that they have established.

Yes it would be nice to see a response about the post, but I would rather they gather and work on the bugs more than they worry about responding to each and every bug report they find. Just keep an eye on the release notes for each release to see if they addressed the issue.

And to answer your question, yes we should continue to look for bugs, otherwise we may end up with a product that won't be to our likings when it goes gold because no one found the bugs.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehehe, coops beat me to it :)

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Yes there is a point to reporting :)

ISI don't have time to respond to every post, but they do read the bug reports. That's good enough for me.

Just because something wasn't fixed in the very next build doesn't mean it's off the list or they've forgotten. Simply report that the bug still exists in build xxx. It may be lower priority for the Devs than it is for you :) but telling them it's still here is way you can "un-archive" it ;)

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5304-Get-Started-Here-(how-to-purchase-faq-etc)

6. Pax

Pax Registered

I'm not asking to be contacted, but 30 seconds of the time of the ISI bug tracking coordinator to write a one sentence acknowledgement would be good so that you know that the report is in the bug tracking system.

7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hahah...welcome to the 'testers dilemma'. :) If we were getting paid to report bugs, then yes, absolutely, it would be our responsibility to report the bugs. However, we're not, so there's certainly no obligation. However, as we've all already bought the game, it's in our best interest to report bugs in the designated forum whether they get looked at or not. Tim has said previously that all of the threads in the bug forum do get looked at, though. To me, that's good enough to feel that I'm not wasting my time submitting. I would certainly encourage you to submit bugs if you find them, as I'm sure ISI and everyone else here would as well--even things that seem blatantly obvious. Whether you spend hours of your time to try to get accurate repro steps, however, is totally up to you--like I said, WE'RE not getting paid to test the game.

8. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I know this is not practical but in a perfect world it would be great to see the bug list but of course this is not practical and could also cause problems and I guess the only definite way to know whether a bug is on the list is when it's fixed LOL.

9. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

30 seconds, times the number of bugs (which in any BETA is usually pretty large) = time taken away from fixing said bugs. Add to that that once a dev does reply, more questions will be asked and more answers expected. Tim says they read them and take note so keep posting them.

As to the order in which they are dealt with, would (to me) depend on how large a bug it is and possibly how many people have the same bug, and whether it's a bug in their software or a bug in your/our systems.

To me what you have reported seems like normal behaviour in a FWD car, Torque Steer. (my opinion)

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I hope I have had a Belgium F3 Eve room up every day with 8-12 hours continuous rubber for 3 months for something :)

1. I been shot in the air 1/4 of a mile straight up out of my pit stall.
    2. Had one Ai carry another Ai for about a mile before it slid off the hood.
    3. Had a Ai do a perfect long jump of 6 cars in pit stalls
    4. Worked out if you hit the fence hard enough at right angle you can bounce back over :p
    5. Rubbered the track till saturated with Ai 2 wheelin' Eau Rouge

Seriously though :p yeah I think there is value in people doing it.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

+1 Pax.
    I raised this subject a few times also cause I also think it is not pro approach and additionally intentionally wasting of our time.
    Ones, ISI member has assured that ISI read all threads but don't respond.
    I suggest to not report things more than once. If they read this - they have it registered into internal tracking system. If not - let them dig in archive.

There are systems, called bug-trackers. Technically there should be no problem to expose issues for us. Even might be possible to expose only bugs which comes from some source (forum members) if some other informations are classified.
    Moreover there are plugins for this forum engine adding bug-tracker-like features.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2012
  12. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Too most of users, no. And probably not in here.

13. Jos

Jos Registered

My reported alt-tab bug has been fixed, nice :)

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

a lot of bugs has been fixed. So what?
    Jos, you are out of topic.

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This discussion is kind of funny. There are those here who purchased the sim just so that they could play it before release with no intention of reporting any bugs they find unless they were game breakers, and there are those here who actually are trying to help ISI find bugs and fix them so that the Gold version is a better experience for those that don't participate in beta's.

Everyone is going to make up their own mind about reporting bugs, and a lot of us aren't really worried that there is no feedback from ISI as we would prefer they use their time to work out the code and not chat on the forums :) No offense ISI staff heheh.

In the end, the decision is yours, if you want to try and help find and fix bugs, by all means report them, if you just want to play the game, ignore the forums and play the game.

16. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have seen problems report to fixed, so I would say yes.

However I have read that they focus on some area as they have not huge amount of people to be working on all areas at whole time and this then can result bugs at some area being fixed later.

Also with content it can be that updates to content are made, but they are not released until other updates are made to content.

Something like that, more or less, I guess.

For me, it is sometimes difficult to know which is bug and what is my own doing :p

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There are third group: people who are ready to test and provide feedback but in pro environment. Especially with ability to track issues.

We got beta of rF2 and we has been called 'testers' and being said we should be proud of being a part of development. But in reality with current ISIs approach it turned into pre-paid members only. It should not be surprising if questions like 'if reporting bugs does make sense' will be asked from time to time. With such ISI's approach, there will be less and less testers every day because no one wants to contribute, sharing own free time, without feeling of being taken seriously.

18. Alesi

Alesi Registered

+100500

19. AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo Registered

If you do what you do in order to be recognized then it's better not to do what you do. Do you realize how long it would take for ISI to respond to every bug submission?

I am sure ISI is looking at the reports. Otherwise, what is the purpose of a beta? You assume incorrectly that because your name is not in NEON that ISI is not looking at these reports.

Alan

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

5 seconds?
    They should mark reported issue as confirmed and/or fixed. Nothing more or less
    I'm sure they do that internally (Tim confirmed this once). But we are reporters of issues and we should know what has been reported or fixed already:
    - to not do the job multiple times
    - to avoid reporting the same issues multiple times
    - to get know if some issue re-appeared again

Currently it is some kind of trail-error type of development. They release some build and we are reporting issues. Often the same again and again.

BTW ticketing systems may track also ideas. it is better tool than using wishlist subforum.