1-2 fps after loading track

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Sergey Yashin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

It's a problem I have from when the beta released.
    With pretty much low video settings, after loading the track with 30 cars, I get 1-2 fps on some (not all) of the tracks...

with 30 cars after track loading I noticed that if I press ctrl+F, when I get 1-2 fps sitting in pits, I have 2 bars (one is green and the other is red). Green bar seems ok and it's 2/3 in length. The other bar is red and it's all the way to the right...

What does the red bar mean?

2. demik

demik Registered

If I remember correctly :

- Green bar is CPU availability for graphics, understand: if the bar is full it's ok. If it's a little less than full you are somewhat CPU bound and your GPU is likely waiting for stuff to do, but that's still ok. Less isn't good.
    - Red (Purple in fact) bar is for the physics engine. It should NOT be all the way to the right. The less the better.

It looks like your CPU is either too slow for the game, or something in your computer is eating most of its cycles. Whats your CPU ? I see Core i7 920 in your profile.

3. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Thanks for the reply Demik.
    You must be talking about the green and purple bars on the right side of the screen, when you press Ctrl+C..
    (mine is almost full green bar and half purple bar, during 1-2 fps)

I'm talking about the green and red bars on the left side of the screen, when you press Ctrl+F...
    I have full red bar and I think it's the answer for my problem, I just don't know the meaning of this red bar..

I have Intel i7 920 stock 2.66 Ghz

4. ethone

ethone Registered

Could it be that your VRAM or system RAM is entirely filled up Sergey?
    What track with what cars? Does the same happen when you only load the track with 0 or 5 AI cars?

5. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Hey Ethone, thanks for the reply and will to help..
    No, it only happens with large grid of cars (20-30), on ISI's tracks (Mills, Portugal, Malaysia)...

I have 3 gig of physical ram and during the 1-2 fps slowdown, if I look at the resource monitor on task manager, I have 89% used physical memory, 2746 mb in use and 321 mb available.. Is that ok?

My virtual memory: Total paging file size for all drives : 4605 MB

Do you think I should invest in more physical memory and it should solve the problem?
    I'm using Windows 7 Home premium 32 bit OS so it can only read up to 3 or 4 gig of ram.. I don't want to switch to 64 bit OS atm..
    What should I do?

6. demik

demik Registered

Oh sorry, I did not get it :/

Ethone got it right. The ctrl-f green bar is the amount of Video RAM available. I dunno how you read it, but I've read here that it changes to yellow or red if VRAM is full. The little red bar underneath, I don't know the maning, but i've noticed it with < 10 fps too.

Maybe some sort of loading/unloading texture stuff ?

On a side not I cannot get more than 8-12 cars at once on my rig (see profile) without going diaporama mode (< 10 fps). Can you try to lower the number of visible cars ?

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

8. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

I tried to free up as much RAM as possible, disabling Windows Visual effects and closing all programs..
    Memory resource monitor showed 79% memory used, 2437mb in use and 631mb available and still getting 1-2 fps after track loading..
    If there is still memory available why does it happen?!

9. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Is it possible that your computer expands the virtual vram to the pagefile? The red bar indicates hard drive access. It's ok when you start a session and all textures load into vram but after that the red bar should disappear.
    You need more RAM (especially for large fields on ISI tracks) and a 64bit Windows.

10. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Hi Sergey -

If the red bar under the green mem bar is always on, that means textures are constantly being moved into video memory. If it happens once in a while that's ok, but constant caching is not a good sign. What sort of video card do you have, how much memory does it have? BTW, rF2 will use up to 3GB of system memory on 32-bit Win 7.

11. Sergey Yashin

Sergey Yashin Registered

Joe, so is it a ram memory or graphics card problem when the bar is always red (ctrl+f)?

I have gigabyte nvidia gtx560ti 1GB

I think it's best to upgrade my ram memory cause it seems like it's too low..

12. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Yes when the bar is always red, you don't have enough video memory for the current scene. Your system looks OK, not sure why you are having such problems with it. I don't know if going from 3 GB to 4 GB will help that much on 32-bit Vista, since it will only use 3 GB per process anyway. Also, make sure your motherboard chipset drivers are installed, this will maximize performance of memory transfers from system mem to video mem.