Sanctioned Races / Skill Rating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow106, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Shadow106

Shadow106 Registered

Narrow minded was a poor choice of words and I apologise for it, I also played rF1 regularly, I guess I just hoped that rF2 would be more advanced in terms of not needing a league ect. Also you don't need to agree with anyone I don't feel that everyone has to agree with me for one second, I am a reasonable and laid back person in truth I just feel passionate about this subject matter is all.

I apologise for any offense caused in my previous comment.

2 people like this.
  2. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

You can have massive benefits and some draw backs from some basic tracking of users behaviour and then displaying that in game or having that affect there voting privileges and server access , But i dont think that its neccecery for RF2 to function to a high standerd for pick up racing.

I have said this before but by Simply having 3 official well configured pick up race( but community moderated) ISI servers set up in the following way would be a massive benefit to RF2 and I believe increase sales/ easily pay for itself.

ISI official server 1 ( base content public server)

1) 30 slot server
    2) All the base tracks that come with the game after each race it moves to the next track ( just does this on loop)
    3) Server would run megan trophy or equivalent car something quite fast but easy to handle
    4) 5 min qualification 8 Min race then moves to next track
    5) only takes 1/3 of the users in the server to pass a vote ( users cannot ban people but they can vote kick )
    6) ISI would allow for a voted forum member/members to have admin on the server and would have a sub forum for people to ask questions or deal with issues or help. ( also moderated by a community moderator)
    7) No damage

ISI official server 2 ( best of the mods public server)

1) 30 slot server
    2) A selection of 15 of the best community tracks ( every 4 or 6 months the forum votes on which 15 tracks to run)
    3) server would run a bas car like the megan or equivalent something fast but easy to handle with good braking stablity not to slidy.
    4) 5 min qualification 8 Min Race then move to next track
    5) only takes 1/3 of the server to make or pass a vote ( again no banning just kicking )
    6) again ISI alow community forum member or would have a collection of community members to moderate the server help with its smooth running
    7) No damage

ISI official server 3 ( vintage only)

same as above but set up with mid spec vintage cars and vintage tracks that come with the sim

.........................................................................................................................................................

Doing this ISI would not have to code much over what is already in the beta , users would know that there are at least 3 well configured servers for basic pick up racing , The races are short so any crash is not a huge issue and people that are abusive will just get vote kicked off the server.

Because the custom track server only changes its content every 4-6 months it will be easy to get all the tracks and manage rf2 it will also be exciting racing new tracks every 4-6 months and showcasing the best quality of the mod community.

Users will still set up other sprint servers but the point is to at a bare minimum have some well configured pick up servers that encapsulate a good proportion of the base content of RF2 and allow people to race on-line right away with little effort or hassle and then be able to repeat that experience whenever they want.

In many ways this would be like the RFC servers we had for RF1 , with a couple of key differences
    1) 2 of the servers only run stock rf2 content so no hassle getting files or getting it all working
    2) the custom server only changes tracks every 4-6 months so its not a pain getting the content
    3) there are only 3 servers so it wont dilute the player base over many pick up servers
    4) If those servers start to become full regularly ISI can add more
    5) they would be centralized and everyone would know about them with them directing people to ISI forums they would also act as fantastic introduction to RF2 for new drivers with the community moderating the quality of the content helping new and existing users develop a relationship with ISI ISI's products.
    6) because they would be the default servers it would be a place for people to go to chat with ISI community members and get help with configuring RF2 whast in game , and receive driving tips and car setups.

Just to be clear , league servers will always be best for proper racing but that does not mean ISI should totally neglect public pick up players or not offer them something consistent

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  3. Shadow106

Shadow106 Registered

That would work well I think, allow a bit more control over who is on the track ect, the system could still be open to abuse a little but but that in truth is unavoidable when players are involved.

4. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Its all good champ...no offense caused. It was just the way the post came accross. No problems here at all :)

I also dont have an issue with anything Jameswesty posted up.

I do think it still allows for prejudice etc and will require monitoring...but that in itself is not a reason to not attempt it :)

But where are they to be hosted?? I know I get bad ping outside of Australia etc etc

There are many things to be considered there, and by having them "official" opens up all type of conotations for "responsibilty". But again, no reason to not attemp it.

5. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

If it was up to me I would have it so that

USA had servers 1,2,3 ( as I listed from the get go)

Then Europe and AU would have one official ISI server in configuration 2 ( 15 custom tracks) the server would be set-up with the same tracks as the american server 2 and they would simply be called "ISI official AU" and "ISI official Europe" The reason for this is that Europeans can still connect to american servers and race without to manny issues , and that its important not to dilute the user base over many servers. However If the UK and AU servers were commonly full or there was demand then it would make sense to also duplicate the other servers.

What I believe would happen anyway is that users would see how well and popular these servers are and try to replicate them hosting other tracks and other cars. However for most users the ISI servers would still remain as the default place to go , due to users knowing that they will be set up in a consistent manor and simply because they are the official servers and the established default place for RF2 pub players to go.

6. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I really don't get where this resistance to some sort of safety rating is coming from. It really sounds like a lot of slippery slope, and my-way-or-the-highway "reasoning" being thrown around by the nay-sayers. Where's the harm in making it an optional setting? I imagine it will be used very similarly to 'No Damage'. Some people will use it, some won't. Or is Pastor Maldanado secretly lurking behind one of those screennames? ;)

7. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think the point is if you have a well moderated server ether through voting or though admin its not that important.

It would be nice to have a safty rating next to people on the time board as it can help inform admin and people as to if they are unsafe drivers but it can be quite a complex system to implement ( properly) and basic admin or voting can work well on its own ( so long as it doesn't take 95% of server to pass a vote)

Its also the case that the vast majority of serous racing in RF1 and likely RF2 will happen in private servers and leagues that are fully under admin control and people know each other .

The specific server set-up mentioned a few posts above would also not require a Safety rating system but would non the less allow for good pick up racing on a pub server accommodating users that want good quality pick up racing.

Evan with safety rating people still drive bad in i-racing

I think a 15min cool off time from when a user is kicked to when they can rejoin would be awesome as it accentually blocks out crashers , but does not punish a new user or someone that is accidentally or unfairly vote kicked that much.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  8. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lmao :D You discovered our plot!

I'm more like a Kobayashi, but close enough ;)

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd like to see an optional system for safety ratings. One where I can turn it on and off on my end. Also, one where I can enable or disable it on my server. Sometimes I make a server for me and a friend just for fun and we goof around and spin each other out or try to follow each other as closely as possible (and this always ends up the same way...) so when I do that, I don't want that going against my safety rating.

But sometimes I don't have a league race, but I'd like a real race and would love to have a safety rating and to go against other drivers who only rank above a certain safety level.

10. Legion78

Legion78 Registered

Everybody in F1 has to drive around the HRT's without taking them out, the newbies add to the realism

11. Shadow106

Shadow106 Registered

The thing is with the safety / skill rating, it's hard to do because you want to penalise the wreckers but not the novice drivers and drawing the line between them is very hard to do. It's not impossible but tricky to say the least.

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As long as you don't call them a "cucumber" afterwards.

13. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Lol indeed, Vettel was really furious..... He wanted to give Kartikeyan the finger (not the one he usually gives) so bad, that he almost spun/broke his car, because he pushed way to hard with a flat tyre.

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

we sure have some Vettels around servers...

15. SKD

SKD Registered

i don't think a safety rating is a good idea. I made my experiences with it in live for speed. When I bought the game and tried to use any other cars but the demo cars, I couldn't really use any servers. The servers had lots of destrictions. On one for example I could only use much slower cars and even though I was trying very hard not to get involved in accidents, I very often got, because there where only other people there who also couldn't drive. So there was no fun at all, no motivation. On most of the servers I got kicked the second I entered. Later on I tried some league racing, this was so much better. But at that time I allready had the feeling lfs was dead and also I didn't have the time for league racing.
    so I would really appreciate if there wouldn't be a safety system in rFactor 2!

16. Wheelzpin

Wheelzpin Registered

A safety rating system doesn't have to punish or exclude drivers to be useful. I think a system that generates reports could be a very useful teaching tool for both leagues and individuals.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Yould never believe how right you are.

I was just racing with Brabhams at Monza. Had a good quali, close to the fast guys.

Had a good start too, gained couple of places and I was following closely the faster guys into Lesmo.

I heard some shouts from downstairs, wife complaining she cannot stand the click-clack of my g25 H-shift and she had to sleep asap.
    Took of my headphones and replied that Ill be over in just 10min. (it was a 6 (?) laps race at R.M.Keenes server).

She just pushed down the main electrical switch of the whole house...

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol! :D

19. Shadow106

Shadow106 Registered

Oh man that is harsh... I am so glad my wife is much more understanding...

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

just stay calm when she isnt...I always do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012