How to enable Direct X 11 graphic features?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by eobet, Jul 6, 2012.

1. eobet

eobet Registered

I just purchased rFactor and the graphics for me look nothing like the screenshots and movies:

View attachment 3074

• Tree foliage are just flat green blobs
    • The sky is a solid blue color
    • All shadows are barely visible
    • Rear view mirrors are solid black (Edit: Fixed by 1.1 which I didn't know how to apply.)
    • Car tires are dull and flat looking
    • Gauges are covered in a solid grey fog

The VIDEO RES panel in the game tells me the following:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 4020MB (it's really a 448 core 1280mb card)
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30ghz @ 3.30ghz 7 GB (I really have 8gb RAM)
    Windows 7 service pack 1 build 7601
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904) (I really have DirectX 11 installed... patched Crysis 2 looks fine, for example)
    Video driver v8.17.0012.9610 (perhaps I should update this?)

Also, if the screenshot button would work even in the menus, the above would have been easier. :p

EDIT: I just tried another car and track... look at this yellow and green mess... something is definitely wrong!

View attachment 3077

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  2. GUBBA

GUBBA Registered

This game or beta is DX9 only at the moment, i don't think there are any DX11 plans in the pipeline
    just try the hdr and different resolution settings
    Sorry mate

3. zack

zack Registered

ctrl,alt,del

just joking :p

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

• Tree foliage are just flat green blobs - currently yes - since build 85 some stuff related to vegetation shading has been thrown out and will be back when it's done
    • The sky is a solid blue color - it more less is if you have clear weather. You will only notice difference closer to horizon (which you can't see on this screenshot due to buildings :) ). Also, I think sky looks better with HDR enabled.
    • All shadows are barely visible - I can see them quite clearily on your screenshot. The only thing is that you have more less noon, so sun is very high up on the sky, so buildings don't cast shadows on the road, because for that sun would have to be a bil lower.
      Also, enabling HDR should increase intensity of lighting (and therefore shadows).
    • Car tires are dull and flat looking - that's because it's noon. They're lit from above and you don't see bottom of tyres. Look at other cars - tyre lighting is clearily wotking. Of course enabling HDR should help, because rF2 looks a bit dull without it.
    • Gauges are covered in a solid grey fog - that's just beta. Materials haven't been set correctly yet. Hopefully they will, but nobody knows when and how much :)

So, enable HDR, check your graphics settings in game options, change time of day, change cloud cover in weather options.
    And remember you have separate settings for different sessions, so make sure you're setting weather and time of day fot the session you'll be driving.

5. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

I would look at updating the video drivers from www.geforce.com I know the newer drivers will fix some things .... but not all .. The game is still in beta so yes some things are broke or buggy right now with the video and the game.

6. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

The rFactor2 Beta is only DX9.

7. eobet

eobet Registered

It is enabled. Did you check my second screenshot?

8. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

That's a known bug. Be patient
    Do you have anti aliasing enabled on your first screenshot?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  9. MJP

MJP Registered

The mirrors have been broken since Build 85, the 60's 1.1 update doesn't fix this.

Try running dxdiag (START>RUN>DXDIAG), it'll probably tell you the same values.

You could always use the good old Print Screen key (or ALT+Print Screen to capture a window).

That tends to happen if you've only installed v1.0 of the Meganes, installing the Megane 1.1 update should get rid of it.

10. eobet

eobet Registered

Ok, that took care of the yellow glare, but it still didn't fix the fluorescent neon green grass, and the fact that the asphalt has zero rubber marks from tires. I mean, granted it's alpha and graphics can be fluff, but a racing grove at least is somewhat useful.

11. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

There is an issue with the colour balance with this build, the rubber build up is dynamic and it gets laid down over time but once again this is work in progress...WIP are three letters you will see a lot on this forum.:)

12. monkeysout

monkeysout Registered

Regarding neon grass ... I turned HDR off with my cheap setup, it looks like a cartoon when its on !

But i'm a newbie so 'pinch of salt and all that' ...