frustrated by specs required.

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by elbo, Jun 29, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

The config.ini has shown the wrong amount of video and system RAM in every ISImotor game I've ever played: GTR2, Race07, GTL, rFactor, rFactor2...

They all show incorrect numbers in the config.ini and sysinfo.txt

I have tried setting them to the correct numbers and did not see/notice any difference. I just let them be.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

True, but I get wrong VRAM performances due this bad reading. It's not just a wrong evaluation with a correct VRAM using (as you can read around game forums)... It's a bad evaluation and a incorrect using...at least in every rig I've tried.

EG: Dunsfold + 10 meganes get me a 50% VRAM usage in a 32bit OS...and a 80/85% in the 64bit version... Same rig, different OS partitions; average 46/55 FPS with all maxed out in the 32bit OS Versus 30/36 FPS in the 64 bit OS...

Same with rF1 (with higher fps values but same gap)

I can confirm that a manual config.ini editing do not solve at all...

3. elbo

elbo Registered

Well, correct me if I am wrong but ultimately isn't rfactor 1 and 2 coded for 32bit systems...so all our 64bit hardware is simply not used optimally and goes to waste, sort of speak.

4. MJP

MJP Registered

I'm sure I've posted about this before but from my limited testing (from before/after I increased my system RAM and on XP/W7) the amount of VRAM shown in the config.ini seems to relate to the length of the green bar (CTRL+F) ingame. In my case the amount in config.ini has always been more than the actual VRAM on my vidcard, in W7 64bit quite alot more.

I think this value could be pretty important, I remember someone posting that with 1 card the amount reported in config.ini was around what you'd expect. but when he put his 2nd card in the amount reported was something silly like 150MB and the game refused to run claiming there was insufficient VRAM.

As a test those who have config.ini reporting less VRAM than they have on their cards have you ever monitored your VRAM usage. It would be interesting to know if you can use all your card's VRAM or is it limited to the amount reported in config.ini.

5. Tuttle

I think this is not a rFactor fault (and I confirm that many other titles gets the same issue). The main problem is that when rFactor goes out of VRAM start reducing the texture quality (yellow bar) and sometimes you can get lowest framerates and/or FPS drops...at least in my tests in extreme conditions (a lot of cars with different liveries @ big tracks with a lot of textures)...but this is an issue I'm getting since the first W7 64bit install, years ago (and on different rigs).

I've tried the same stuff on the Windows 8 preview and the problem is gone...unfortunately the ATI beta drivers for the W8 previews are awful for other 3D applications (especially OGLs)...so I can't use it. :)

6. Tuttle

For my personal experience on my rigs, I can confirm the game is actually using the amount of VRAM writed in the config.ini - but if I edit the file nothing changes. The game still use the same amount of VRAM checked during the config.ini creation (732 instead 1536) and it's the same VRAM I can find into the DXdiag 64bit test...(maybe the config.ini is using the DXdiag value...i dunno)

(64bit OS)

View attachment 3066

(32bit OS):

View attachment 3067

Many people around tech forums are convinced that this is just a wrong reported value without real performance issue, but this is not the case for me. If I get the yellow bar, due a bad VRAM estimation, the game drops in performance and in texture quality and when I switch into the 32bit OS I'll never get the lack of VRAM.

Fortunately it's pretty difficult get a yellow bar with actual contents (unless I use a ton of cars with different liveries at full quality)...so I'm in a borderline zone, looking forward for Windows 8...:)

PS: until now I never get the yellow bar on rF2, just a empty grayed out bar (half to almost full green on 32bit)...but with rF1 it's a pain in the a**S..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  7. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Have you tried re-installing the operating system??? It works wonders!

I didn't think I was having a problem with rFactor2.

Then I installed Windows 8... I hate it!

Found out I couldn't 'restore' my system to Windows 7.

Did a clean install of Windows 7.

The problems I didn't know I had are now gone... What I'm trying to say is that rFactor2 and Aces High II, for that matter, they both run better.

I keep my machine as clean as clean gets (My avatar is My scoot sitting in front of my computer shop), and I was just amazed at how two years of use and only for gaming, my machine's performance had deteriorated over time.

Give it a shot!

Bryan

PS:back up your stuff!!

1 person likes this.
  8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Did that when I messed up everything some months ago Bryan and I was amazed by the difference!!!

Your scoot is...lovely. Im sad I cannot hear it...purr :eek:

9. Tuttle

Hi Bryan,

the 64bit partition is a fresh install but this is not a generic performance issue. It's the same on other rigs with very different hardware and is a well know issue with a ton of documentation. Look at this;

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2026022

No way to solve it with system cleaning procedures and as already said it's not a rFactor bug.. :)

10. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Actually,the recommended specs for rF2 specifically include a 64-bit OS and 4GB+ of RAM.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1056-Minimum-Recommended-System-Specs-for-rFactor-2

Notice it says "4GB+". So yes, even though rF2 is a 32-bit .exe, the game can use more than 4GB of RAM. Hence the 64-bit OS recommendation.

11. osella

osella Registered

rf2 is not 64bit application. So it doesn't use the extra potential our 64bit CPUs have (I'd dare to guess that 90% of us have 64bit cpu by now).
    Being able to use more than 2GB RAM (btw yes the limit is 2GB per application, not 4GB) is just one of many 64bit features, and btw you can do this with any 32bit application after patching the exe with this http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php .
    So there is 0% 64bit support from rf2 side.

The problem with 32bit OS is that the whole system can only use 3.25GB and if OS itself costs 600MB, there is only 2.6GB left.

12. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

For now Elbo, for now. Step by step when they will make all optimization and manage SLI machine I'll cry and you'll laugh! ;) If you're patient, we'll compare numbers later! ;)

13. eobet

eobet Registered

I am very surprised about this answer from a developer. A developer should know that 30 fps might be enough for slow moving games, but any time you have a fast moving object on a computer screen 60 fps in absolutely necessary in order to be able to take in the full movement and have split second reactions accordingly.

If you Google 30fps vs. 60fps, there should be plenty of sites and demonstrations on why this is the case and the theories behind what makes it work this way... but I suspect that the emotions overcame Mr. Angelo and he knows this already.

14. MJP

MJP Registered

You still get people claiming you don't need any more than 24fps (I watch tv, films etc.) so it comes down to...

1 - They don't what they're talking about.
    2 - They're blind.
    3 - Maybe they really can't tell the difference.

I'd love not to notice the difference between 24 and 60 fps, would save me a shed load of cash on pc upgrades. :)

15. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Mr. eobet,

1) i am not a developer nor a ISI employed

2) i started online sim racing with GPL, 12 years ago, and GPL was capped to 30 fps ... it was raceable i think.

3) My CPU is the minimum required and i am pretty happy i can run rF2 at 60+ fps the most of the time ... if for the first three mins of a race with many cars i have 25 fps i can live with them.

5) go figure, i ran 12+ months rF with a P4 1700 and a GF4, having 16 fps at race start ... i raced in several leagues at that time and i dont remember any incident caused by me

So,

I would love to have 60 fps everytime, but at 25 fps my rF2 runs smooth (no stutters, no laggy FFB, no slow motion troubles etc) so i can live with it, but you are free to leave any server where you find Max Angelo (or Max Angiolucci) if you think i am a danger for safe racing.

Thanks.

16. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Yes Mr. eobet, sometime emotions can overcome my rational thoughs, for istance when i read strange statements about me.

I would love to have the money for a fast PC, but sadly atm i cant afford it.

Life is strange, is it not so?

17. eobet

eobet Registered

Your posts say that you are. Am I the only one seeing this?

18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You probable are the only one that didnt notice that at Max Angelos tag, it doesnt say STAF but TESTER.
    and he is quite constrained most of the time :eek:

19. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Hmm?

Are you insinuating i am a liar, beeing a dev or an ISI employed?

If yes, Mr. eobet, you wasted your chance to be a cool user.

Or you are going to personal, saying i am a uneducated person?

Lets be positive, believing in an honest misunderstanding (not the first, because you missed completly the point of my previous posts in this thread) and going to say you I am an internal tester for ISI and, like other testers, we help to moderate the forum.

Internal testers do the job for hobby, friendship and passion, they are not at all ISI employed.

20. MJP

MJP Registered

I think he's referring to the 'Staff Posted' with the yellow ISI icon in your post headers that also appears when viewing a thread list.