How many of you bought rF2 for mods and have now changed your mind (about mods)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jun 26, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well that's not my quote. I never said those words.

So you are mixing the quote with what I said afterwards.... it's not an insult. <-- Those are my words, not the quote itself.

So there is the problem :)

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Enjoy the game mate...

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Guys...

Imo buddhatree was`nt out to cause offence to any modders, just give some credit to ISI for their stock content which I also think is very well done. That doesn`t mean to say I won`t be using any mods or that I have anything against modders...

In the past with rfactor I have been seriously impressed with some of the mods I`ve driven and have often wondered why such talented people can`t somehow do this for a living as they are that good, but then maybe some prefer to mod rather than work at it for a living and I also know it`s a very difficult business to get in to.

I`ve wished many a time that I knew how to do some of this stuff and I only have great respect for the modders that produce quality work... a lot of time and effort (and talent) goes into these mods and I don`t think that`s lost on any of us.

Just my two cents... :)

1 person likes this.
  4. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

In my opinion at least, some of my favorite stuff is the mods. Looking back to rF1 the best stuff was always the mods. Granted we haven't seen many mods yet but the WIP's look incredible. Plus Mid-Ohio by Vitrtua LM is I think the absolute best track available in every aspect. To not like mods is like buying counter-strike and not liking the multi-player.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I wouldn't be too concerned. Some people bought rF1 for the stock cars, etc, the stuff ISI included, but that's OK. It happens. It doesn't hurt anyone, and frankly, if we attract people to rF2 with ISI content - that might not have purchased otherwise because they don't even KNOW about mods - that's a great thing.

By the way, I'm not sure why, but I read your post in a Yoda voice, and it amused me. :)

6. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

OK then lets play the "Stupid Game": ......der no YOU seem unaware you are just one opinion.....no YOU do....no YOU are........ffs. If that little comment is stepping on toes, then get rid of your big-arse feet.

Stop being so precious. Tuttle came across as though he is speaking for everyone. He is not. No big deal. He is a big boy, yeah? He doesnt need you sucking him, no? And it was not an insult - get over it.

But I gotta say - some of you are a perfect example of what I am referring to. Precious, immature fanboys. ISI do the hard work here. If you think that most mods or "tons of them that are great in every category there is..", then you are part of the problem - because your standards are too low.

"Rfactor without mods is just not Rfactor at all." Yeah? Well mods without ISI and rFactor are......not even god damned possible. K?

And by the way - just a reminder - This is rFactor 2 (two). And you are hijacking a thread away from the original question.

Stay on topic. ISI have set the bar high for standards with recent content. Modders are going to have to aim high. As yet, there is NO modding content out that I find comparable to the recent work of ISI. I am not dissing modders in general AT ALL. But this is NOT rFactor 1, and this is not years after release.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  7. tjc

tjc Registered

Like has already been said, the point of this thread was not to knock modders it was to praise ISI.

I don`t think it`s very nice to come into ISI`s forum and basically say you think there stock content is crap and in the same breath ask when rF2`s going to be finished so the really talented people can get to work on it.

Imagine how that must feel to ISI staff.

I`m hoping the stock content will be improved as it`s early days yet but I still think much credit has to go ISI for creating what I think is excellent (beta) stock content.

If it was`nt for them the modders would have nothing to mod. :)

8. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Personally i'm looking forward to both ISI and Modders content,i think that there will be some fantastic stuff
    from both camps :).

And imho i think threads like this will always cause conflict, even though that was not the intention.

@1959nikos post 31 great post mate.I've no need to say any more.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Your right! Got in my mind! I tried to type in deeep and slooow voice but dont know how LOL

10. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

Exactly. Big nod to Luc Van Camp and the comments from feels3 and TJC.

If someone loves the content of ISI "like a fine wine", and that modding it is "like adding water".....good for them. You can be INSULTED by that? FFS how do you cope in real life?

11. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Modding in most games is a fact of life now. Some are good, some are bad, but they are all wanting to put stuff out to help others enjoy a purchased game. ISI has done a wonderful job so far with their content, and as they progress towards release I think it will get better. The modders right now I am sure are mainly porting older mods over to rF2 right now with some enhancements while they learn how to mod this game. If I am mistaken about that, I apologize to the modders :)

I have never modded but I can imagine the time it takes to learn the new game engine and learn how to best mod for that engine. I do know how to work in photoshop and 3ds Max so I can understand that those aspects are not going to change. I for one am using both current mods as well as stock ISI content and enjoying it all.

Might as well say my thanks here as well, good job ISI and modders both, looking forward to lots of great content from you guys :)

12. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

Exatly my opinion. :)

13. osella

osella Registered

Uhhhh...........
    Nand Gate and tjc, you said that there would be no content without ISI. I don't think theres anyone who does not realize this, this is as clear as a sky. But thats not what we are discussing here.

Obviously the main credit always goes to ISI because the sim itself is the most important of all. But we are talking here merely about the CONTENT. I would be personally perfectly happy if rf1 came with NO car and track at all, just the core, since I never liked any of those. I only played mods and modders tracks. That doesn't mean I don't the hard work put into rf1 by ISI.

Dont want to add more heat into this fire but I cant help it - if somebody says the rf2 cars are better in ALL ways than rf1 mods, he must be blind. Graphical quality is obviously worse than the best looking cars for rf1, which were done for free. Textures are quite basic.

14. tjc

tjc Registered

Imo the graphical quality is`nt all that bad atm but I would be the first to say I hope it gets very much better...

This is a beta after all. :)

15. osella

osella Registered

Well... can't disagree about that :p

16. Wheelzpin

Wheelzpin Registered

I think buddhatree's post is a valid one. I bought rF1 when it first came out and I didn't lay my money down thinking "hey, I bet there'll be great mods for this!" I bought it because I tried the demo and enjoyed the experience. Fact is, I didn't even consider adding a track or mod for probably six months because I enjoyed racing what came with the game. (I still love those original "Rhez" cars).

We all have different criteria for what we want out of a sim. I race mostly offline or with a couple of friends and AI to fill the field. I love good mods and appreciate the talent of the people who make them, but for me, only a small percentage of the available tracks and mods in rF1 have been worth while. I have installed dozens of really beautiful looking tracks and mods --and trashed them almost immediately because the AI were complete rubbish. I've also still got some in rF1 that frankly look like they were made by a colour-blind dyslexic in a dark room, but they provide the racing experience I'm looking for.

So, did I buy rF2 with the idea of all the great mods to come in mind? No. I bought it because I think it will be (and already is) a high-quality racing sim created by a company that truly cares about sim racing and it's products. I know there are some exceptionally talented modders and I hope there will be some excellent tracks and mods that come out of the community. When they come, I will try them and weigh them against my criteria for sim racing enjoyment, as will everyone else.

1 person likes this.
  17. DeM

DeM Registered

Give me F1's from the 1970's to late 80's and i would be very happy with the RFactor 2 moddrs or Isi to create would be my dream

18. relentless

relentless Registered

ISI has provided a huge improvement on the stock content provided and if anything I think it will spur the modding community to do even better. I can't wait to see some of the great rf1 cars converted to rf2 should the original mod authors still have the desire in them.
    btw will ISI allow modders to use the GTR model etc to create a street version(VR38DETT) of it?

19. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I am a newbie to net kar pro, but found it amazing to just install the sw and everything works and the mods while few are all great. I'll never reclaim all the time I've spent tinkering and sifting through terrible content to find the good stuff.

I would gladly pay for truly good mods (after being able to sample).

I am also concerned with the unlimited mods and tracks fragmenting the online experience because there are too many choices so there are only 2 or 3 people in a race vs more if there were fewer and higher quality mods and tracks. Leagues are fine but it is often such a hassle with passwords and translating web pages and problems with mod versions.

This is where I racing shines b/c there is much traffic the way they structure things. It would be interesting to see a hybrid with less passwords but with safety points if that is the reason for so many password protected clubs races.

20. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

Mixed bag for me.

I don't like to play online, so I use rfactor offline. I am mostly interested in the F1 series from the 70ies and the 80ies, including these tracks. I want to play whole seasons. I probably won't get that from Isi I guess. I like the fact, that they are about to make a great starting point for modders with the new tyre model, weather mechanics and dynamic tracks and on and on. And I too like the fact, that it seems they will give us examples of cars, for every period in racing - this will help modders a lot I hope.

In the end I want to play championships offline, with a passable AI.

If I get this from ISI and rfactor2 - I don't know, but there's hope. Right now I play rfactor 1 over rfactor 2 because of the mods. If rf2 never keeps up with that variety of Mods, it will be not played much by me, even though it is far superior. I hope this will be not the case. So:

I surely bought rfactor2 for the mods. Never touched the ISI content in rfactor1, but like the ISI content in rfactor2.