How many of you bought rF2 for mods and have now changed your mind (about mods)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Jun 26, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I love the opinions people keep it up :) But please let's not get this thread closed with personal attacks.

@ Nand Gate: Tuttle is not a "fanboy", he's a modder and passionate about his work :)

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

ISI content will be nice, I'm sure, but I want mods. I'm in it for the mods and only the mods. TBH, I wish ISI would work on completing the game engine only and just leave the job of creating content to the community.

3. rer8

rer8 Registered

TBH I thought the EnduRacers Endurance Series in rFactor was very good. I would really like to see that mod migrate to rF2. I like road racing and look forward to changing weather as well as night racing. Scaling time to allow a 24 hour race in an hour or so was great fun with the Endurance Series... bottom line ISI and high quality mods are a perfect marriage of art and science. I look forward to that "marriage" being consummated.

4. Alesi

Alesi Registered

+100500. agree.. ISI should finish the engine, all other stuff and mods community will make by them self...

5. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

You really don't want me anywhere near the code :) !

6. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

I hope not because ISI's content can reach quality impossible to achieve for some modders (real data, license ect) :)

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Then just send the code to me, I won't tell anyone ;)

8. osella

osella Registered

It hasn't changed my mind not even slightest.

I don't believe that official and licensed content is automatically better nor more realistic than mods, in many older sims it was often the other way round.

So far the rf2 content is very good though..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  9. tjc

tjc Registered

And an extremely talented modder at that... :)

---

There`s no way that I`d want ISI to just do the sim engine... their content is far too good for that imo. Keep up the excellent work ISI but don`t let LVC near the code...

:D

;)

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Seeing NOW what ISI can do? How many years we had rf1? And why that is going to change my mind about future mods?

Compairing payware to freeware is a tottaly unfair comparison imo for obvious reasons.
    Compairing commercial stuff that was made from a company with paid employees as brilliant as they may be, with people offering their spare time with only a "thank you" from the community as a reward (regardless of the final quality) is tottaly ungratefull too.

Very sad situation for me here.
    For many years I was amazed about these people, modders, wondering whats their drive, how can they go on offering such an incredible ammount of work for free.
    Well, their drive is the simple and incredible thing called a community.
    In all history people formed communities to help, if they can, each other and the result is proggress and civilisation, its as simple as that in all aspects of life.
    To achieve this, people communicate and exchange ideas in fora, like the one we are here rather than isolate themselves and decay.

So, wondering about the need for their existence is an unfortunate moment really.

Dark future I see here (lol).
    Fsx was a lovely community with tons of quality freeware stuff and then came Flight and changed all this, turning community to a bunch of fanboys Kneeling in front of the company.
    Main reason I deeply respect ISI is that it didnt take Flights path (btw there are people who are applauding the situation, saying that this is FUTURE, some future lol) oppening the game to modders from the start.

I wouldnt have a polite respone for this if I was a modder.

But as much I regret OP's opinion on this, at the same time it gives me a fine opportunity I always wanted, to say a big THANK YOU to modders.

Guys you are priceless!!!

2 people like this.
  11. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

ISI titles has always been about modding. Frankly, the majority of their stock content hasn't been all that great. The 60s Formula cars are a freakin blast to drive, but they're ugly as sin. The textures are low-detail, and the 3D models are also quite low detail. My other concern is that in the final game there won't be enough historic tracks to flesh out a single season with them.

So, no, I don't feel the same way. I want more tracks and better looking content. ISI have built a pretty good physics engine, but that's about where I stop being impressed. I know ISI could make it prettier, but they've chosen to focus on other aspects and that's perfectly OK; that's why this is a modding platform, not a closed box game.

12. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Right, I fully agree with you Nikos. I have lot of pleasure with ISI and with modders contents, and thanks a lot all this community, and I hope to see more of both worlds! :)

13. osella

osella Registered

Good post nikos!
    Sorry but no matter how you look at it it IS insult to modders.
    The comparison about wine is like saying "Please go f**k yourself, but hey - I'm not insulting you, just sayin.".

14. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I find it curious that so far, only the non-English speakers think that is an insult to modders.

Since 2005, if someone asks, "Should I buy rFactor?" the answer is always, "Yes. rFactor has lots of mods".....

Nobody ever says, "Yes. The stock content is worth every penny." rFactor was always about mods.

You don't think that could be an insult to ISI? Oh it's OK they get payed??? Silly! :)

Even with rF2, where the stock content is the best I've played in any sim, people still think of it as mod-shell.

The new tech page that Tim posted.... Some guy on VirtualR was angry because it didn't tell how to make mods. He didn't care about how ISI makes their wonderful cars.

This thread is more about praising ISI, not insulting any modders.

1 person likes this.
  15. osella

osella Registered

Im not native speaker but I have been learning english for 17 years (since I was 5) and can speak fluent so I dont think I misunderstood...

Yes I think its all about whether you get paid for it or not. Expecting the same quality from modders just isnt fair if an average modder goes to work 8hours a day, needs sleep too and in his free time he does mods instead of just playing them.

I respect your opinion, I know you totally love rf2 own content, well I don't. I just find it very good - physics side. Graphically its not even better than good rf1 mods!

16. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I bought it for the mods, haven't really changed opinion but I'm not certain how well having a gazillion mods will turn out in the end.. as far as multiplayer is concerned anyways, tried my hand at iRacing lately and I have to say it's very well put together but I feel the physics and graphics are already better in rfactor2, but they have a consolidated comunity, one which we will never have because of the mods, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Can we get a solid league with multiple daily races? perhaps hard to tell before any of the playermade mods is out, any of you guys who played rfactor1 might have more insight into this, just feels like this comunity is rather small in comparison and we'r so spread out.

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

You could do the former without acheiving the latter. But you didnt.
    And I speak and write english and I suppose the rest do otherwise we wouldnt be in this forum.
    You are suggesting different mentality.
    I dont think different mentality is a matter of nationality especially if you touch such sensitive subjects, like imo this one.

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I apologize. It was not my intention to insult modders. I tried my best. Perhaps my English is not so good :)

No mate I'm not suggesting different mentality. I'm only saying what has actually happened in my thread.

I did not make any judgments :)

19. osella

osella Registered

Maybe I can think of one disadvantage of having too many mods. There will inevitably be some very poor quality mods, especially in terms of too easy handling. These mods will appeal to non-negligible portion of players who will then race them online. Without these poor mods, these people would have to race stock content. On the other hand, these are the kind of people you wouldn't want to race with anyway, would you? Since they are more likely to be wreckers, no-braking drivers..
    so even that doesn't really matter lol.

20. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Well, the main problem of your OP is this;

This is called "Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta".. or if you like in english "who excuses himself, accuses himself"... or if you like in french "qui s'excuse, s'accuse"...and in italian "scusa non richiesta, accusa manifesta"..

So...it's not a language barrier problem..just a language problem. ;)