Rfactor 2 .....is there a release approx date target ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's great that builds seem to be coming on a monthly(ish) basis

I've never heard of a target for a general release

I.e past beta.

Roughly is it this year?

Obviously I know it would be dangerous for ISI to put a date on it as there are so many possible unknowns but I have no idea if it's lightly to be say 3 months or 3 years.

No doubt a stack of content to come from the decent modders, I guess as long as there is some base content but more importantly the software is very nicely optimised and generally glitch free then that's enough?

Not sure how much base content ISI wants to add for release in my mind a couple more tracks will do the trick but more importantly more optimisations needed.

Anyone know anything?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

They initially planned for a 6mo testing period. Various things mean we will go past that I'm sure (as that would be first half of July). But I haven't yet asked for another estimation (which when I post it - that's all it will be).

The devs have done the most difficult (the groundwork needed for further development) first, and really most of that is done. Now it's about tweaking, learning (we have had to learn about our own graphics engine, for example, during development), and adding new features, while refining (both appearance and performance) the ones already in place. We should be downhill from here.

Yeah we need to get it pretty glitch free, that's what it's about. Most of the people here use racing sims a lot, they understand us, they understand having to fiddle around with files, etc. We need to be in a stage where someone with only basic knowledge can come in and get rF2 running (which really isn't that far off, but it depends what order they do things as to how long it takes).

Regardless, I already asked once I knew 6mo was unlikely, and those of you who purchased during this phase for 6mo free online services (we said we'd give 18mo rather than 12mo to those who test), will obviously be compensated more than 6mo extra.

3. tjc

tjc Registered

Take your time guys...

Get rf2 spot on in every way. :)

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Thank you for explaining.

5. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I like a well developed game as much as the next guy, but the sooner the game is released the sooner modders will come in.

6. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

To true mate I agree a lot of stuff being held back by modders atm.

7. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

It's also importand that they stay. So no rushing ;)

8. 88mphTim

I understand that, but rFactor1 wasn't in their hands at all by this stage.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thanks for the explanation Tim, I'm in the "when its ready" group and feel it has some way to go yet, infact the longer it takes the more excuse I have to save up for a new PC so I'm happy take as long as you like!

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Tim

I really appreciate thhe response & understand totally.

Gosh I didn't realise that the ISI team were originally shooting for just 6 months, ok so depending on how things go then it looks lightly to be this year sometime I'm hoping for a late autumn / early winter ( but that's very rough ).

Think rfactor 2 is going to be around for a long time so this initial development time is just a small part of the equation.
    As a previos post, it being optimised to the finer detail is most important etc.

I do look forward to it being officially released to the currently ever growing sim racing community though.

Keep up the good work.

My regards
    Adrian.
    ( p.s ...dare I do a sneaky mention the front wing being added to the the wheels & suspension only view O-: )

Seriously cheers for a down to earth honest response

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, I wish more people would see it this way instead demanding top-notch graphics straight away :)

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's quite exciting really, remember the first release of rfactor one, pretty good but nothing like what it became,
    Rfactor one is now slightly dated but still very much alive and right up there with the top sims.

Rfactor 2 is showing such positive signs ( ISI seem to be addressing the current negatives/optimisations etc)

So hopefully very good things are coming

I hope this beta testing period is going well for ISI and they are achieving what they hoped etc

13. osella

osella Registered

Nice, thats what I wanted to hear, so as for me I dont care about release date!

14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Thanks for the info, Tim. It may not exactly feel like you're saying anything different than you have been, but at least letting us know that things haven't really changed is supportive feedback. Thanks!

For those who would rather it be sooner than later (for the modders sake): it's important that ISI puts as much as possible in engine-wise prior to going gold, so that once it goes gold our tracks and cars do not break.

15. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Not sure if you realize but the game has been in development for years mate

16. RafBR

RafBR Registered

ISI could release it full of bugs and start advertising rFactor 3 to sell it again. A few other companies do it.
    Thanks ISI for being so respectfull and professional.

17. 88mphTim

Indeed. Technically it has been in development since 1992. :p

18. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol Tim haven't you learned your lesson? :p

....... waiting for the first (serious) "What took you so long?" post....... ;)

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Strictly speaking, such question would be inappropriate since it uses past tense and rF2 has not been released yet... ;)

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

LOL, it took you some time...living is learning (Socrates)