Folks making Nascar based mods.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by freew67, Jun 24, 2012.

1. freew67

freew67 Registered

I will be heading to Kentucky Speedway this weekend with garage passes in tow. While I cant guarentee anything, I will have my cam with me. Is there anything anyone would like photos of? I might only be there for the Cup race, but I am attempting to possible go Thur for the trucks. Wont know till later in the week.

Just let me know.

2. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

I just started working on Daytona and have a rough shape of the Cup cars needing some attention. Would be cool to have some good refs of any Nascar car.

Is hard to tell exactly what to take photos. I'd say, try to take photos of parts we never see on Motorsport.com (in example) and/or parts we see more detailed on the sim.

3. ethone

ethone Registered

I got some track-related stuff if you don't mind:

I have a hard time with the safer walls. Photos you find are anything but 90° and perfectly aligned. Given that it'd probably be quite hard for you to get such a photo too I'd love some better reference pictures.

Other smaller stuff off the top of my head:
    - catchfence, most oval fences are a lot more "complicated" than say F1 catchfences
    - lighting system
    - PA system

Other than that, you're a track modder, if you see something worthy photographing, do it! :)
    When I went to Oschersleben earlier this year I spent half a day just photographing stuff for two days. As long as you don't let it disturb the racing you're there for, boy it can be fun. Track modder's playground! :)

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Dont know if these can help ethone, I was at Daytona for the 500 earlier this year. I took hundreds of photos but from a 'Fans' perspective not a track maker...however I did take some of the track, yellow lines, start finish line, pit lane boxes etc that maybe able to help you. Just shout if you want anything specific and I'll see if I have it :)

These are downsized for the forum, I have them at 4320x2432 if you want them in high detail I'll e-mail them to you.

P1000798.JPG
    P1000831.JPG
    P1000834.JPG
    P1000956.JPG
    P1010254.JPG
    P1010446.JPG
    P1010470.JPG

1 person likes this.
  5. ethone

ethone Registered

Those are quite helpful MarcG, thank you!

6. freew67

freew67 Registered

7. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

freew67, I remembered a interesting detail you could take pictures of.

Cars light decals as "flat" as possible for futher use on textures. It's always a pain to do them properly as they are "fantasy" versions of the real lights.

8. freew67

freew67 Registered

I will try to get all makes for you.

9. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

Cockpit pictures! Lots of them!

10. toebee

toebee Registered

+1 all the teams seem to be making their own dash boards now. Pics of the new Ignition/EFI stuff on top of the dash would be great to.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

there was a cutaway NASCAR at Daytona (got some pics of the engine, brakes, suspension etc too), heres the only one of the cockpit I took, not sure if it can help any but here ya go:

P1000983.jpg

12. freew67

freew67 Registered

To say this weekend was hot is an understatement. The first pic in the album shows what the infield temp was 3 hours before the race... yes 148f (64c) deg. It dropped down to a cool 132f (55c). So needless to say I didnt get anywhere near the amount of pics I wanted to. I got some of what folks asked but on raceday Nascar didnt allow us anywhere near the cars. I did what I could before my shoes melted. If this link doesnt work I will post them to Picasa. Please let me know if it does/doesnt.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.441135835918010.104345.100000647933038&type=1

1 person likes this.
  13. ethone

ethone Registered

Some great shots in there for me too, thank you a lot!

14. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

A LOT of awesome pictures! Thanks!!!

15. freew67

freew67 Registered

No problem, you all are welcome. I was down there figured might as well make myself useful. I might make another race this year, wait and see.

16. Shane

Shane Registered

Wish rF2 supported oval track racing. I saw in a post in another forum that they have no plans to work on oval stuff right now. No time. I'm not sure where these quotes are in this forum but I copied them from the forum I found them in. Not surprising. It will be nice to see an oval mod in rF2 though (I'm a dirt guy though...lol..). Good luck.

Tim Wheatley wrote:

"Oval rules are not coming (I think) until after the 'gold'. I have some major, major content for ovals that won't be coming until 2013. There's been some good discussion and planning also, I've even heard "dirt" mentioned."

Tim Wheatley from ISI forum wrote:

"I understand what you mean, but it's not possible really to be fair all the time to any particular genre of racing. I got a licensing deal this past weekend which has taken 10 months of discussion, and it went straight to the top of the development order as of today, regardless of it being the same genre of racing to other content which will come soon. On the other hand, I got a licensing deal done last week which took ONE DAY to get done, and it'll be second in-line. So you are going to have times when we seem to release all of one genre, then another time when we release a mixture, other times it'll be your genre. The signing process can take months, then we have to decide how best to take advantage of the timing."

The guys I feel a bit sorry for are the oval guys, because we are planning mostly road stuff first, but it has to work that way for us to have in-place what we need before we start the oval stuff... It does make sense, even if it doesn't feel like it as a consumer.

17. Golly

Golly Registered

Sob, so offroad or rally is way down the track then... Ill need a PC upgrade by then hahahahaha...