CHECK THIS OUT!! Future RF2 addition ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitt Wilson, May 29, 2012.

1. Nelson

Nelson Registered

I think completing current crash physics with basic tyre-to-tyre contact physics, little particle effects and maybe a texture layer to visualize contacts on the car liveries would be sufficient. But there a other more important things first, for sure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Why couldn't i just have concisely put it like that. :confused:

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

It will only be frustrating knowing how many people actually manage to do more then one clean lap in a row online. Especially, in the beginning when the track has no grip and tyres and brakes are still cold.
    I usually underestimate the torque of the cars and spin a lot until I get used to it.
    There is one thing however that I think should be implemented. It isn't very realistic if you hit the gravel in an open wheeler and just drive on. Even in GT cars it should be almost impossible to get out of there again. It should of course be optional. Not many people agree with me, I'm sure.
    I'm aware that I'm contradicting myself here!

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I agree with you. I like gravel to be like it is in real life for the most part, you get stuck and it's race over. However I appreciate it's not league friendly, dilemma! Game Stockcar has a the Santa Cruz do Sul circuit (from memory) which has it done well - perhaps it's due to the gravel traps being narrow so even though it slows you down as long as you have momentum you can get through it, but if you spin at the wrong angle and stop in the gravel it's game over.

So I think it's a fine balance of having appropriately sized gravel traps and its 'bog down factor'. However in keeping with track realism, you can't always define the gravel trap size so playing around with the 'bog down factor' is imperative for it to be a good.

In summary, ideally for me, if you have enough momentum you should be able to escape from the gravel trap but if you are going too slow or stop you should get stuck.

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

So where would I get the 'puter that would run this and a field of 32 cars, all heading for a pile up at the first curve-- online?

6. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

The Rig of Rods thing is really amazing, but as far as I know race cars are built completely diferent, they don't deform like that, they just break. A open wheeler for instance, has an "unbreakable" monocoque and all the rest just breaks apart.

If I remember correctly, in Indycar Racing 2 the damage would leave only the monocoque intact, everything else was detachable, I think that it should be possible to make a mod that does the same in rF2, as long as the internal parts are designed they could fly around the track in an accident.

* I wrote "unbreakable" because only in extreme situations the cockpit breaks up, like in the tragic Jeff Krosnoff crash, for instance.

Unfortunally in real life, speed = violence

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It is also possible with RoR mechanics, just a matter of adjustment. But also take into account that not all racing cars have an "unbreakable" monocoque (like you said, it can indeed be broken), many have tubular frames which can be bent out of shape, and then there are street legal cars as well. A real advantage of the RoR system is that it also takes into account chassis flex in a very real way, something which is a huge issue for karts, trucks, road cars and even racing cars in sims lacking it.

8. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

Hi, thanks for the info, I did not know it could be adjusted. Certainly, as you said, for stock cars and modified street it would be perfect and with adjustments, also for open wheelers. Can't wait to see what future has to bring to simracing!

9. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The system is made up of rigid rods, moving springs, and joints that connect it all together, at it's heart. The stiffness of the joints, the stiffness of the rods and the stiffness of the springs can all be adjusted, along with many other things.

10. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

I probably agree with the sentiment behind your opinion, but realistic crash physics does add a lot of realism to racing sims. Not overdone, realistic. Pretty immersion breaking to see a big pileup and no parts are flying around, very little noticeable damage, and half the cars just continue on their way.

11. Golly

Golly Registered

Yes its as simple as this really... You all want a simlike experience... ?
    Then damage both physical and visual needs to be at a level that is convincing yet practical as far as the game operation goes.
    Yes it would be great to see tyres rip to shreds and fly off when blown, but realistically its too much to process if a mass crash happens.
    A good damage model with good crumple zone visuals and partical damage would be very good. Damage to certain parts of the vehicles to make the car behave in a way that you no its hurt and you need to pit. Like it already does now quite well but more needed obviously. We are not crash kids requesting this to be paid attention to, just real sim lovers who want an overall feeling of the racing experience. We can only process so much of course as far as PC's go if you want to please the masses. But to have option levels on the amount of damage would be a good start so it caters for all levels of PC entrants.

You simply cannot have a "Sim" in the sense if damage is not factored into the equation as much as physics is, as without damage effecting physics its an arcade game not a "Sim".

My list of damage wishes..
    Good Partical Damage for replay effects and screenies
    Good crumple zone and panel damage (as realistic as we can get without effecting performance mind you)
    Damage to effect Physics, blown tyres, suspension damage, drivetrain damage, engine
    Good fire...smoke....sparks...
    Dirt build up and paint markings, scratches, very good for enduros and dirt/rally racing alike.

Just some requests that I dont think are too over the top, but add to the "Sim" experience. (No race car is shiny and strait the whole race unless your of god like talent hahah )

12. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Though the truck looks pretty awesome flexing all over the place, purpose built race cars are, and have to be a lot more rigid. The reason is due to keeping suspension geometry as predictable as possible and still being able to drive the car. If you have a look inside any purpose built race car, or even a touring car that has been modified for racing, you will see a huge roll cage. This is true for the most part, though high end open wheel cars are usually carbon fiber now a days.

The roll cage leaves no room for the chassis to flex, but does allow for energy absorption in a collision. This allows the suspension to do it's job without having to fight the chassis flexing and changing the angles that it has to work under.

As for realism when it comes to impact effects, it would be cool to see damage that is as real as possible with resulting effects on airflow and coefficient of drag as well. Realistically this is not currently an option as it would require way too much computing power to do in real time. Part of the reason for so much computer power is because every part would have to be created exactly how it is in the real world, with real world physics acting on it. This would increase the poly count of each vehicle by 100 times at least. Currently most higher end games allow for about 50,000 poly's per model. This would end up being 1.25mil poly's just for the cars in a 25 car race. Change that to 5mil per car and you can see how much more work the computer is going to need to do.

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Would be enough if crashing will be as realistic as possible - as well as racing experience.
    As some ones stated: damage directly affects racing style. If we want to do realistic races in simulation environment - damage is a must.
    Simracing is not same as for example RedBull F1 simulation. The goals are different.

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

While the roll-cage etc. does make the chassis stiffer, there is no material on earth that is perfectly stiff, so they will always have some flex to them, even though it might well be minuscule.

But that's not even really the point here. The system is totally configurable, it can handle structures that are as stiff as racing cars, they don't have to be wobbly. And more importantly, not all cars that are going to be included in rF2 are going to be modern racing cars. Many vintage racers are a lot more wobbly than you'd think a racing car could be, and there will also be street cars etc., not to mention that karts have no suspension as such, and rely on just chassis flex, which currently isn't implemented.

A system like this working properly would be a great thing for racing sims, but it'll have to mature a few years before we're at that level.

15. Skynet

Skynet Registered

we need soft body for karts.

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm really looking foreward to seeing what ISI will do to improve the damage model in this sim. One thing I really love right now is how the wheels deform in crashes. Looks brutal and very realistic.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Really wish we had official karts in rf2....period. :(

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Then we need blood flow simulations for drivers

19. Skynet

Skynet Registered

20. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I would really love to see something like this implemented in the sim.