DD's F3 ROOKIES - Changes to Room

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by DurgeDriven, May 10, 2012.

1. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

still connections lost

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  2. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Still server still running? You are a brilliant host DD

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Well I am in a sort of dilemma mate I like F3 Rookies as the place to be able to talk to rookies without upsetting people.
    I enjoy sticking up odd combos like BT20 and Indy.
    I like Mods that have about a dozen locations aka Historics at Historic Tracks v1.0 and Historics at Modern Tracks v1.0 which like Historics v1.0 has been redone to include Howston.
    I like to run longer sessions and race in practice in groups
    I like BB's just as much for single mods and the fun we have doing odd stuff :p
    I like the immersion of the bigger rooms in ISI Historics.
    I have to make a choice sooner or later.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

HISTORICS v1.0

I have had 7 joiners in this morning.

All you see is leave and join no message.

But when you look at dedicated menu it gives message car not configured.

I assume this is because I make all my mods v1.0 ............otherwise it would give you the same message in room which is normal.

If you do not uninstall any old Historics v1.0 and then download and install the new one it will not work.

rF2 will keep loading the Orginal Historics Mod which does not include Howston which means you get wrong vehicle selected

I will always put the name of car in the room name ie: F3 Rookies G6-Monza10K

If the room says F3 ROOKIES *Training it is F3

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

NEW MODS

Disregard these download from GET MOD if room does not let you in you have a older V1 version of the same mod, uninstall and delete it then join.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Can't get into my rooms

I notice today 4 drivers try to get in and fail , Ginger Bread and Corvette Driver among them

I edit version 1 mods I took Lola out because not enough had sound working so I made a sep mod.

Server says you have mod but when you join is wrong ;)

uninstall and delete rookies then re d/l is all you need to do with v1 only mods

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

GetMod would solve all your joining problems. It is super easy to implement. It seems that after people experienced how well it works on ISI's public servers that more and more admins are getting onboard.

Edit: BTW, when I say GetMod I am referring to component download not just the vmod.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I use Get Mod have for 2 years.

However I do not like making V1 v1.1 etc etc for individual mods.

I go to mas2 edit the existing mod and register it as v1.0 again, no update.

once you register it it will automatically go RED in mas2

You still need to uninstall and re-install before it goes green.

That way no one can use old mod versions either like my / the original "HISTORICS" mod is still v1.0 and I use it but it has all the ISI Historic cars in it now, no one can use the old one Eve-Spark "HISTORICS" .

That is reason Get Mod is a hassle if you make all v1.0 mods, some joiners will have old Historics mod already loaded and do not realize it has even changed, rF2 don't tell them , ergo they can't join the room and then when they try GET MOD it wont work because it thinks it is alreay installed . hehehe

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Like I said, I am referring to taking advantage of the "Get missing components" button not just downloading the vmod and also not referring to including all the content in the rfmod and forcing users to download a massive file directly from the server. Check this thread:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/15074-How-to-make-Get-Missing-Components-actually-work

Just read the first post in that thread and then skim through looking for the video I posted which demonstrates how to repack a rfcmp to add a working download URL am then what you do to host and register the cmp. It sounds a little confusing but it isn't that bad actually. Once setup people can join your server with a fresh install with zero content and it will automatically
    Download the vmod which then has URL for each component and then they just click the "Get missing components" button and it downloads everything they need. They don't have to hunt around for dependencies or refer to this thread for details. It is totally dummy proof. It works flawless with Dropbox so you don't even need a paid webhost to do it.

10. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

because of these wall texts i cannot host a single race now with a particular track...

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What I find more frustrating is you get 80% of people try to join or get oval mod and fail.

Why isn't Joesville v1.0 and Orchard Lakes v1.8 ( included in Nascar Mod ) up in mediafire list , they are ISI tracks.

Have great fun in oval mod but you barely get a handful can get it installed.

12. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Also, when you edit a vmod, why don't you just increment the version number. A simple way is to use the date like this 14.0118 for example. Then you don't have to keep track of what version numbers you have already used. Then when people join it will not get confused and think they already have the mod.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I tried the repack with F3 mirrors and then Lola.

Someone would need to show me this with pictures. lol ;)

Sounds good but.

I still think vmod is the best thing that happened in early days people could not see long term just have a look, petition to ban it lol oh dear

Like I said back then one day you will download a mod with tracks and everything will be pre-configured , season, weather, wind, temp. time, , rubber, yadda , yadda

be cool

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't use increment numbers, never have, easier just to rebuild v1.0 for mine.

It automatically de-registers ( in a sense) the previous v1.0 from use.

P.S.

You are aware you can't de-register mods anymore so if you say make Rookies v1.1 to v1.9 there will be 9 mods floating about still registered for use by anyone.

That makes no sense to me. :)

My way there would be 9 v1.0 mods floating about but only one would be registered and useable.

15. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Is it really that much harder to type in a new version number while your at it? It's only a few key presses. I am not talking about making an upgrade. Just incrementing the version number while you in there. The registration isn't even needed any more so you can skip that step if you want. If you increment the version number then your users don't join just to get a miss match and then have to open the modmgr to uninstall and then rejoin. It is a "rookie" server so minimizing the confusion can't hurt.

You should still check my thread though. I think your still misunderstanding what I am really referring to in regards to full use of GetMod. What you are referring to is GetMod for the rfmod. What I am referring to is GetMod for the rfmod AND rfcmp's.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

If I did it that way they would still have 2 or more mods err "increments" whatever installed right ? What then ? eventually they would uninstall and delete the unused one........ right ?

My way just forces you to do it sooner then later is all, if you a first time joiner GET MOD will work and I tell people now what to do if old mod does not boot.

1. Uninstall one mod 2. delete 3. GET MOD

Other way ......... 1. GETMOD 2. uninstall and delete older increments sooner or later.

Yeah still sounds messy to me. :)

HISTORICS and F3 ROOKIES mods will only ever change now with official content updates and every man and his dog knows when that happens don't they. :)

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

No. It doesn't work that way. The new version overwrites the old one. They never need to uninstall old mods or delete them from the packages folder as long as you use the same file name every time you increment the version.

Basically the system was very well thought out. The version number is there for a reason. But people tend to hack around the system rather than use it the way it was intended. Unfortunately there isn't a single place with full documentation so the only way to fully understand how it works is to do tons of testing and trial and error or read every single post that is at all related to packages so you can gather up all the little details. And the MAS2 tool is junk really. Can't wait for some better tools. Or even better, give is some APIs so we can write our own tools. Oh well.

18. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

Now, I'm confused(which is not hard to do). Do I need to uninstall then reinstall a different version? I sometime get in but it's the wrong track which is when I get booted off.
    Thanx,
    CorvetteDriver

Last night I tried to join and I kept getting the wrong track loaded. If you all were at Belgium 1966 my computer would another track then I got booted off

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
  19. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

DD,

Last night I tried to enter your server... 6 times. It didn't give me any cars to select from.

You really ought to consider doing the one track per vMOD thing.

In all reality, the only person that finds your vMODs easy to deal with is you, and that's fine for those who mainly race offline... Online it's tough.

***Thought***

*** There must be a different version of something, somewhere.. or maybe I'm missing something... but, it let me in the server... I don't have a clue. ***

I'd have to get rid of your past "HISTORICS" vMOD, check each track's version or uninstall them all and get the newest versions just to find out what is different. That will never happen.

If you insist on using multiple tracks per vMOD, perhaps not re-using the name "HISTORICS" would help... At least give it a number.

I don't understand why it should be so hard to enter a race at Brianza or Belgium.

Just trying to help you keep your server populated.

Bryan

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
  20. Chefmark

Chefmark Registered

WOW, great info DD. That helps alot to us noobs.