How to open GMT rf2 ?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Radar, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Radar

Radar Registered

After exporting the GMT files into the new rF2 format, I can't seem to open them again.. Am I missing something ?

Also would be nice to look at some of the ISI tracks, trees, stands, animation whatever.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Actually, for what I know, there is no a new 3ds max plugin to import rF2 GMTs...and I think that some ISI contents are encrypted.

3. Radar

Radar Registered

Doesn't surprise me that ISI content is encrypted, shame as rF1's wasn't and many including myself would use their grandstands etc to avoid people 'taking' from others without permission.

After I import the GMT (GMT Converter v2.45c) and then export under the rF2 GMT Converter v2.52h, you can't open your own GMT's afterwards. I'm assuming it's because it adds the new shading / textures etc but then it might be that it encrypts the file on export.

Either way, I can't seem to open the files afterwards. Curious how others are doing it, maybe the process / setting I am doing is wrong.

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Why are you trying to open the GMTs after exporting? Am I missing something, don't you already have everything you need in the Max scene file? GMTs are supposed to be an end format, not a working-file format.

5. Radar

Radar Registered

Yes I have the max scene file created. It's the first time I've used Max so I'm just getting my head around it all.. One thing I am doing is working on each GMT file (some of them) and improving the objects, some I am moving and others like the chopper I am animating, so it's nice to see these GMT's separate (as it's the program I am more familiar with) and making sure the new location is correct, the textures are correct etc.

Even the Win32Viewer is having problems opening the scenes, so my guess is I'm doing something wrong.

6. ethone

ethone Registered

When you work with material from five years ago and might or might not have had to switch harddisks .gmts might just be the best thing you have to work with.
    In another case I have had to split my working .max file into two branches, one of which I had to branch again. Now I ran into a situation with my far-distance treerows where I had a small mess on my hand and couldn't figure out which I had exported from what branch of my working files. A quick re-import would have let me check that very quickly.

And of course being able to look up .gmts from other tracks allows you to see and learn techniques for building certain objects or how to texture them. Personally I've mostly gone beyond that stage and know most of the boundary-pushers good enough to just ask them. But I well remember the times when my skills and knowledge were far less developed and being able to look at finished tracks gave me a lot of pointers.
    Have you seen the threads in the track modding forum asking how to set up pit lights/glows? How many polys to use for certain objects? Stuff like that would be quick lookups if they could import finished gmts.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

you can't open rF2 gmts after they have been made. 3D Sim Editor and the GMT 3D Max Importer tool are both for rF1 content.

I don't believe that ISI has made any decisions or at least announced any that said their content would remain locked. I'm not sure it's their place to create a backwards working importer. as people like 3DSimED will make it later anyway. and like was said before, it's an end format. I appreciate what you mean by using them to learn processes or to improve the model, but that will just have to wait I suppose.

I would imagine that last GMT importer is very similar to what will be needed now, just lacking a few key elements to match up to the rF2 format.

remember there are tutorial max files that show you the shaders and processes that were used by ISI.

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Win32Viewer won't work with rF2 .gmt's. You have to use Developer Mode through the rF2 launcher.

So would have loading the track and going free-cam :D. But in all seriousness, I totally understand that--but that has to do with rF1 .gmt's. Radar was asking about importing rF2 .gmt's:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
  9. ethone

ethone Registered

Just seeing them doesn't tell me which ones I used for exporting - unless your free-cam has magic abilities mine doesn't. Far off treerows sadly lack the geographic proximity features to conclusively tell apart which ones I exported. They are walls floating in space and I'd like to see you try to determine whether it's the original ones, the ones I moved up 10m or the ones I moved back 25m. ;)
    But in all seriousness those were rF2 .gmts so I fail to see how I failed to grasp Radar's point.

10. Radar

Radar Registered

Couldn't agree more ethone.

11. Radar

Radar Registered

Cheers blakboks.

It would be nice to look at the ISI tracks at some stage, I like the animated blow up tube on the side of the track (Mills) but as said, to learn from them how they have done files, pit lights etc to bring our tracks up to decent standard.

I like what Feels has done with Croft, but I feel for me at the moment, learning from other GMTs or Max files is the best way to achieve such results, and or annoying people in here or other forums on how to use Max :D

12. SchumiBCN

SchumiBCN Registered

Yeah, I've also learned investigating other's .gmt files and I think that's the best and fastest way to learn, obviously, reading forums or just searching in the net is necessary at many points to understand some issues at all.

So, while we can't open rF2's .gmt files, I won't move into it and stay in rF1, also, because I wanna finish a mod before moving into rF2, that's why I haven't even installed rF2 yet.

Regards,

SchumiBCN.

13. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

This is simply ridiculous, they made this PAYED beta for modders understand modding capabilities of RF2, people with less experience or lag of tecnique are strugling through the process..... the ideia i have is that RF2 is only for the elite modders, who wants to learn will have to wait....

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It is also ridiculous to resurrect a very old thread and make a comment that has nothing to do with that thread. Very bad forum etiquette, and annoying too. Oh, and your post is also incorrect.

15. Tiago Guerreiro

Tiago Guerreiro Registered

Why ridiculous??!! Ridiculous is your atitude in giving me a infraction for telling what i feel about this situation, in fact if my post is incorrect please prove me i´m wrong rather then of being abusive in your authority.....

I started doing some stuff in RF2, started few days ago researching and add some content in devmod, it seems that the situation steal the same, impossible to import to 3ds RF2 GMT´s, Shaders still encrypted etc etc etc..... so please tell me what is incorrect??!!

As some one said, i always like to learn with the best, in this case ISI content is something i would be intrested in take a look, i learn to do mods in RF1 that way. My opinion is simple people with no experience are loosing interest, trial and error method is to much time consumer for 90% of beginers like me!!!

And another thing, do you really think answering to a 4-5 month old thread is bad forum etiquete??? For your information i´m 3+ years waiting for RF2, please you must review your timings!!!

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

As I said in the post above, your post had little to do with this thread. Your reply now does, but the one I gave you an infraction for, did not.

How long you have been waiting for something, is really nothing to do with this. You have the choice to not do what I have asked you not to do, or find another discussion forum.

If you want to make a comment, or a post, reply to one where your reply fits - or - make a new topic. Don't resurrect threads, and try not to be off topic completely. Thank you.

17. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

The beta is for modders, mainly for those more experienced. And it was said from the beginning, what to expect from the beta period. What you are complaining about, is something that was known from the beginning.
    You can always wait for the gold release

18. erale

erale Registered

Importing gmts won't teach you how to model for yourself. If you want to learn modeling look in the internet. There are more then enough tutorials out there that teach you how to model a car. If you learned how to model you can look into the forums and even ask questions how to export your models and get them to work in game.

If you want to learn: ask!

Also why would you need to look at the shaders? What exactly could you learn from them to make a better car mod?

19. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I agree it doesn't help you on modelling, but it can give pretty nice general idea of how models should be constructed and with what quality. But for material and shader properties GMT imports can be essentially useful. You can easily check out how for example windshield material should set up. It doesn't really make any sense trying to invent the wheel again and again. Sure you can ask these questions from modding forums, it is also useful as someone else can read up that information.

However, no one has still not answered how rF2 windshield should set up, even you can clearly see nice material properties in original ISI cars. Same with wipers, headlights, shadows and whatnot. With simple GMT importer there would not be any problem to check these out.

So yes, there would be much use for GMT importer in good and in bad.

20. erale

erale Registered

Well you could open the GMTs in an hexeditor and get the information needed. It's a bit complicated but it will work.

1 person likes this.