Chase USA (some helluva cool stuff)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Johannes Rojola, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I did write long post, but it can't be seen for some reason, probably I did something wrong again.

I have looked now NHRA data, thx, mostly CR and cam lift seems to be there that can sometimes help to verify other sources.

Horsepower is not simple term, there are many of them and it is not always clear which is in question.

For example I have here few numbers from august 1969.
    hp 250 @ 4400
    torque 355 @ 2600

I know every bit of engine as I have all the data, from bearings to carbs etc. I have put data in and I get:
    View attachment 4089

Now it was 71/72 when SAE gross ratings changed to SAE Net ratings, either of them is bit different from SI horsepower that rFactor uses. So 17-23% is correction to SAE gross, however in some cases 25% is needed, that can be because of taxation etc. However what I get is too much for being SAE net and too little to be SAE gross.

I did some testing and 325bhp 400cid Olds 4-4-2 engine requires around 25% reduction from SAE gross rating to be near correct in rFactor.

It always takes some experimenting, curve itself is pretty close, so I usually use Dave Purdy's editor to make engine file, then use hp scaling feature to get curve down to proper level, after that it is just testing and new adjustment to direction or another. Of course if I find real dyno curve, I use that, but also in those hp is not exact, so always some testing is needed.

As I know 30-70 acceleration times, I can then do some testing to get it close, of course transmission is what it is and it does affect some and need to be accounted for, total gearing must be known etc. So it takes lot of testing and verification of test results. comparing etc. to have engine that really performs correctly.

But sometimes I just keep bit of fun and drift Vista Cruiser at Monaco, it is quite tight fit in few places. also as it is so big and heavy, it is very easy to control, not much fun on big track, but at small narrow track there are some challenging situations as such vehicle needs a lot of space ;D

Reminds me when I saw such big 'boat' on this kind of racing, poor others, they had no way to go:

2. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I wish I was born in Finland that sort of racing in beat up old POS cars looks like lots of fun, maybe we could get a mod of these one day?

I take it that the Finnish commentators are never ex F1 or rally champions as those guys would be lucky to say one word per race ;) Maybe they are only very efficient with their sentences when speaking English, but there's nothing better then a post race interview with a fin. I loved Hakkinen, Gronholm and Raikkonen the most short to the point and very funny most of the time.

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I started working on a suitable track for the mod. This is loosely based on Florida Everglades area. It will have lots of fast roads, some bridge jumps, and other hazards. Will feature traffic-like AIW that drive right side of the road back and forth.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ErikT

ErikT Registered

Yesyesyesyesyes!

Looking really fantastic this mod, and that idea of a track Johannes, yesyesyesyesyes! :D

5. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Looking good Johannes, cant wait. :cool:

6. Johannes Rojola

Thanks guys! I've been working on traffic-like AIW and it is working very well. I have to prepare more track scenery and I think I can make some sort of driving video of the mod and the track. I suppose I need to start new thread for the track project too.

7. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Nice, but I think I want the flying car mod too :D

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Shhh, that's from his "Harry Potter" mod.....

9. Johannes Rojola

10. Yarach

Yarach Registered

* fapfapfapfapfapfap *

11. SouthPawRacer

SouthPawRacer Registered

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I might have to get another hat in order to look good in that pink "T". I don't think I look ritzy enough to sit in it.

13. Johannes Rojola

And we have a new friend coming :)

[​IMG]

14. lbird

lbird Registered

AMC Pacer?

15. Johannes Rojola

AMC Gremlin, '70 or '71 :)

16. JGraf

JGraf Registered

remember back in the day when people were stuffing V8's were into these shopping carts...

17. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I remember a couple of guys who "stuffed" a big one in a "Henry-J". They took out a bunch of fence on the initial run down a country road.

18. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Might need to stuff sticky tires and big motor into it then :D

Haven't been able to start dev mode since 118, next patch is probably due next week, so then can do more stuff again.

I have attempted to create TGM editor with C#, I have got loading the file part figured out already, would only need to figure out how to save geometry lines at exact locations now.

19. Johannes Rojola

20. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Rojola, you sure are building the expectations high. Keep a goin'