Exporting Track/Race Surface Portions

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SmokinJo65, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

I'm not there yet but I'm getting closer and I am not sure if I have seen this any where's. How do you actually go about breaking these track/race surface portions up into gmt's?

And once you do break these up can you still edit the track surface like widening it or getting rid of a partial section or would you do this before you broke it up because I doubt you can put the pieces back together?

I also notice that it probably is not key what it's named because ISI tracks use the name RaceSurface**.gmt but some other tracks I have seen in RF1 are Track** or RoadOut** or something else.

I think once the actual surface area is done adding objects will be a breeze compared to this.

Once again thanks for your answers...

2. freew67

freew67 Registered

In rf1 the names of the gmts really didnt mean much (minus a few key words). Racesurface** is what the track needs to be named if you want to use the Real Road toy. Then it also has to be setup. If you needed to edit, you could always attach all the track sections back together. I normally dont break the track apart till I know Im 100% done with editing any aspect of it. Granted, the pit road on your track is longer then most of the tracks I make.

3. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

You still didn't tell me how to break it up Jeff..lol

I'll be on teamspeak later tonight if you want to drop by or if anyone else wants to chime in..lol, I'm in no hurry really just thought I'd bring the question up since I brought it up last night when I was talking to DesertRat.

The only thing I can think of is probably selecting polys and exporting those area's?

4. freew67

freew67 Registered

Poly select - detach - name

Select section - open gmt tools and adjust proper settings - export

DesertRat - ugh! :)

5. freew67

freew67 Registered

And leave me alone! I was at (not in) the hospital till 3am... everyone is ok but sleep hates me I think. I will hop on TS tonight for a laugh.

6. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

lol..

DesertRat sounded like he was drinking last night, had slurred speech..lol

Think i'll do the same tonight with my Yukon Jack & Mtn. Dew

7. ethone

ethone Registered

To add to your question about if you could still change say the width - you could if you can deal with manipulating the split road segments or after re-attaching them all into the same object (select first object, right click on free space in the viewport, "attach", click those segments you detached earlier).
    Preferably you would want do do those things on the level of your initial loft of the race surface (with conversions that probably isn't possible though since you're unlikely to have the initial loft) - and preferably you wouldn't want to do that at all, as it can mean your road and curbs/grass/verge polys don't like up perfectly anymore.

8. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Sounds like a pain in the butt, I'll just make sure that I get everything I want done first before I break them up.