Getting started with a new track, few questions.

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Sam Moss, Jan 16, 2012.

1. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

No, I change alpha manually.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Edit: Ok, scrap that then.

Have you added any vertices, cut a poly to create a new vertex, attached another object?

1 person likes this.
  3. freew67

freew67 Registered

edit: What ethon said, basically if you added a vert it could mess things up. I would suggest to try this...

1) Select object
    2) Menu-Tools-Channel Info
    3) Select the Alpha line and click clear
    4) Adjust alpha again.
    5) Export
    6) Fingers crossed it works

1 person likes this.
  4. feels3

It works :)

Thank you.

5. feels3

I have another problem ;)

This time with shadows. Look at tent, it cast shadow only partially.

Is not fully sure but I think that was working ok in the previous build.

[​IMG]

6. mianiak

mianiak Registered

To cast a shadow it needs a top and bottom, a 2 sided material is becoming a thing of the past, try to avoid it when you can.
    With the tent, try this,, duplicate the faces, extrude the duplicated faces inwards about 0.005 local normal, then flip them and detach the elements as needed. Now it should cast a proper shadow.

7. ethone

ethone Registered

Yep, that's probably it. I've found that you don't necessarily need to extrude the faces, just duplicating them and flipping their normals did it for me.

8. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

I personally try to avoid the cheap 'duplicate and flip normals'. After flipping the normals, I try to give the poly/element a realistic width, even if it's just 0.001m sometimes :) . It's technically advisable to avoid letting two polys share their existence. In odd, unwanted and unforseen situations, you might just end up with a bit of shadow flickering on the flipped side.
    A tent fabric/plastic material would have a +/-0.003m width in real life. You've already had to create the poly to get a correct shadow, so why not spend the extra few seconds making it technically more correct if you can :) ?

Also, you could consider chamfering the outside edges of that tent, which would come at the cost of roughly 30-50 tris for all sides. They're worth spending in this case because they greatly define the outline of the object.

9. feels3

I did as you said but I have problem with flickering no matter of distances between flipped faces.

I tried to set distance between faces to 1mm, 5mm or even 5cm and flickering is still there, especially when I drive in front of objects.
    I also tried extrude the faces but nothing changes.

10. Gee76

Gee76 Registered

Maybe try it one of the faces marked as a decal.

11. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Check to make sure it's not double sided.

12. feels3

It was double sided. Now it works great.

Thanks guys.

13. feels3

And it's me again, I hope that you are not bored :p

I have question about gdb file and lighting settings.

Is it working in the same way as in rf1?
    I tried to change "Time-of-day lighting" values but I don't see any difference on my track.

In dev mode all lighting settings seems to be locked to default.
    I mean direct and ambient light for sunrise, midday and sunset.

14. Luc Van Camp

No, those values are not used anymore.

15. feels3

Ok, thanks Luc for reply :)

Those values are visible in dev mode but now are locked, it would be nice if we could control them manually because now light colour is the same for every time of day.

BTW. in dev mode I see a lot of interesting settings but I can't find a way to save them and use in track.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I have some serious questions about trees and vegetation for my Dunsfold track...and I would like to get some reply from ISI staff (or everybody knows...);

I need to better understand how to realize new trees/vegetation for the new wind technology. The Tech pdf it's a bit vague in this section...so before start to modeling all this stuff....I want to be sure to follow the right way.

For now I'm using just far treelines but the first line/side of track trees should be detailed and realistic. The wind effect could be a nice touch for realism...

For what I can see inside new ISI tracks...seems you ISI are using far flat treelines, billboards and 3D mesh for the s.o.t. trees. I think this is the best solution for my track as well...and I like new ISI trees, so I'm interested to know the generic polycount used for these models.

Thanks in advance..

17. Luc Van Camp

The ISI tracks indeed use flat treelines, covered with bollboard trees. A few 3D trees are placed in key areas, where it makes sense to add them. The Joesville section Max file is a good example of how they're used.

Wind coefficients should be determined inside the software. The values define the maximum amount of movement. The only thing I can recommend is to play with those values in Dev mode until you get something you like; write those numbers down and enter them in the Exporter. A table containing ISI examples is listed in one of the appendices of the PDF. Perhaps you can use these numbers as a guide when experimenting :) ?

18. Tuttle

Thanks Luc but I really need more infos;

1) There are specifications on mesh modeling for the wind fx? (I ask you this because I've done some test without results and yes, I'm using the GMT exporting settings as the Tech PDF...)

2) What is your generic polycount budget for side trees? (I'm referring to 3D trees and consider that I need to put about 100 of these...)

Yep, but my experiments with my actual tree models doesn't works...this is why I'm asking. :)

Ty.

19. Luc Van Camp

It could always be that wind effects are currently not working :) . It's been a while since I last used them myself. There are no specs or limitations to wind effects meshes. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that they'll be applied to polys (quads).

Tricount budgets depend on the track you are building. In the end it's the entire picture that counts. If you want to plant a lot of 3D trees, then you may have to compromise elsewhere. rF2 is designed to be quite scalable, so there are no real tricount limits I can give. If you have the hardware you need to run a million 3D trees, then you can do so :p . At this time, I recommend doing a few export tests with the 3D trees you can find in the Joesville_Section.max. There's a handful of 3D trees included if I'm not mistaken. Billboard technology should effectively halve the tricount of your 3D trees too :) .

Oh, and you certainly do not want to use alpha blending on your 3D trees :) .

20. Tuttle

Ok thanks for the reply.

Some stuffs;

You said that wind FX is currently not working...but in devmode it works fine on Joesville... Maybe it's off inside the game but if in devmode it's working... I could start to program my trees for the upcoming wind FX...

In Joesville_Section there are not 3D mesh. Just flat billboard/stamps.

I don't know if it's possible...but would be a very useful thing to have a original ISI/rF2 3D tree (to take a look inside it).

Tnx again...

EDIT:

I'm using just chroma color blending for leafs on quads...