Antialiasing injection - fxaa - smaa

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by bigtabs, Jan 12, 2012.

1. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

That's cool, I'll have to try it out tomorrow. I usually find FXAA combined with SSAA works nicely, and is a fair bit cheaper than using MSAA combined with SSAA.

2. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

with some trouble i made it to work finally. Just placed all files both in core and rfactor2 folder. FXAA works great, looks 10 times better than AA in game. Color saturation works too but needs some tweaking. Nice tool:)

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Do you mean the FXAA that InTheFade posted? Because the AA in that was lackluster at best from what I saw.

4. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

Won't work here the game just won't start.

5. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

yep. Its not bad. I compared it to AA in game and its better for me.
    Anyway I had some fun with this program. You can change with this program a little bit how game looks: saturation, gamma, bloom hdr etc.
    View attachment 819 View attachment 820

6. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

That looks pretty nice, could you maybe share your settings? I'd like to try them myself. The defaults were really overdone and I currently don't have time to spend on tweaking them all the time.

7. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I turned off hdr in game. In Injection tool:
    HDR: both sliders on 3
    Bloom: all sliders on 3
    ToneMap: Gamma on 8, Exposure 5, Saturation 3, Bleach 1, Fog 5 (only Gamma and Saturation makes something positive, rest i set just to do nothing)
    All other effects are off. You can try Sharpen, it looks cool in replays and screenshots but somehow looks strange and disturbing while playing so i turned it off. Haven't tried Technicolor but im guessing its something like sepia, so probably useless.
    Couple more shots:

View attachment 823 View attachment 824 View attachment 825 View attachment 828

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

How about the AntiAliasing settings, I'm guessing FXAA Quality to Max Quality, Contrast and Darkness Thresholds to Strength, how about Blur?

EDIT: Tried your settings, looks pretty nice. The AA though simply doesn't do anything useful, merely blurs some high noise edges. For example my main annoyance, the wires visible on the starting straight of Mills are totally unaffected by it. Using the regular LVL3 AA fixes them nicely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  9. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I just turned AA on, didn't change anything in settings. I use AA from injector instead of AA in game (i used level 2). I think it looks a bit better than level 2. It definitely works but there are still some edges here and there so if you are looking for something better then don't know how to help you. I know nothing about all this different types of AA that are now available and don't understand how they work:)
    I know those wires on Mills, they where annoying me too. The only way that was making them look better was going all up to 1900x1200 res., but now i play in 1400x900 and stopped bothering with them. I will wait till game gets optimized/finished for better AA.