Lack of Sound FX

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by jefcam, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Hello,

I downloaded... and extracted the file to my rFactor2 root directory and still don't hear anything from the tires in F2 or F3 cars.

Am I missing something??? I did as it said to do in the readme file.

Thanks

2. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Ok... I had to take the mas file itself and put in my "my documents/rFactor2/installed/sounds/tmtires/1.0b folder.

This is for Windows 7
    Hope this helps

3. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

As of now , the 60's F1 have nice exhaust sounds. BUT, no exhaust sounds as well as average to boring engine sounds for the other cars..why is that. ?

GTR3 is probably gonna win the sound design war here unless someone gets serious about sounds as they are with everything else, because frankly, bad sounds = poor immersion. case closed.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Its a BETA......

5. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

we shall see...

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

7. Yutja

Yutja Registered

to be honest... I fear the engine sounds will not be improved very much and I also find them pretty "boring" and not beeing able to catch the excitement of the real thing.
    I expected sound improvements (I know reverb and some other stuff is there, but I am talking about the pure engine sound, exhaust sound) like the guys over at pCARS are aiming for. Whether SMS is able to achieve it, time will tell....

8. faderone

faderone Registered

How to fix the sounds:

- make a backup of TMTires.mas in your "\installed\sounds\tmtires\1.0b" folder - location might differ according to operating system and installation method
    - start mas2.exe located in your "rFactor2\support\tools" folder
    - open the "TMTires.mas" with mas2.exe
    - extract (right click on filename->extract) 4 files - you need a scrub_ex, scrub_in, skid_ex and a skid_in, it's up to you, which of the included (maybe even external files would work) files you chose
    - rename the 4 extracted files to:
    TYRES_ASPHALT_SCRUB_SEMISLICK_EX.WAV
    TYRES_ASPHALT_SCRUB_SEMISLICK_IN.WAV
    TYRES_ASPHALT_SKID_SEMISLICK_EX.WAV
    TYRES_ASPHALT_SKID_SEMISLICK_IN.WAV
    (for example: you choose "SCRUB1_DRY_EX.WAV" for scrub_ex sound, extract it, rename the extracted file "TYRES_ASPHALT_SCRUB_SEMISLICK_EX.WAV")
    - add files to mas archive "TMTires.mas" in the location mentioned above
    - save the "TMTires.mas"
    - optionally: delete the four .wav files
    - done

When searching the reason for the missing tire sounds, I found several lines of code in the .sfx files, that seemed to be wrong/missing/look a little bit strange.
    Regarding the missing skid/scrub sounds, the sfx files used links to files in the tmtires.mas that were not included in it.

The manifest system did successfully block the changed sfx files.
    At the moment the specific sound files for the official mods are not stored within the \core\sound folder and the manifest within the \installed\sound folder accepts changed .mas files.

Enabling tire sounds via sfx=forbidden
    Enabling tire sounds via \installed\sounds\tmtires.mas=allowed

So in this point the manifest system allows changed mas files, which offer an (unfair) advantage.

That made me think:
    What about the "unfair" advantage of raising the volume of the tiresounds by changing the related values in the .plr?
    Should or shouldn't changes like that be restricted, too?

Regards,
    faderone

9. kchojaczyk

kchojaczyk Registered

Hi guys,

I'm on Win7 64bit, 5.1 audio through HDMI to a home cinema system from nVidia gf570.

Skids in Renault car are very very quiet. I can't really tell if im breaking well or not and what is happening with my grip :(

Also I'm missing all crash sound effects and a lot of other sound effects all together.

I tried switching to stereo thinking the 5.1 mix might be broken, but that didn't help.

Cheers,
    Chris

10. faderone

faderone Registered

Hi,

for raising skid/scrub volumes open the player.plr file located in your userdata\player folder and edit it with a texteditor

For the scrubbing sounds:
    Vehicle Scrubbing VolMult="0.0000610352"

For the skidding sounds:
    Vehicle Skidding VolMult="0.0001220703"

The higher the values, the louder the sounds.

Regards
    faderone