rfactor 2 setup management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by (fGw)cabo-2, Oct 26, 2011.

1. (fGw)cabo-2

(fGw)cabo-2 Registered

Hallo all,

First i'de like to say that i really can't want for rfactor 2. My clan and I are still organising rfactor 1 championships at http://fgw-team.com. But we really need a new game.

My current problem is that when i don't have a good setup (if nobody sends me one) i can't compeet at the front.

So my question is: Will there be a setup tool to make setups a bit easier?

2. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

thats swerving it towards arcade imo, setting the car up is part of the fun of a sim.

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

There are already a lot of setup "tools" on the internet... what you are looking for is car setup guide. That's all.

4. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

I've been making my own sim setups for 15 years, but one thing I have never understood is why the default setups that come with so many sims are so useless. It would be good for everyone (cleaner racing) if rF2 would provide decent, stable setups for those who are beginners/novices, or who are just poor at creating their own setups. That said, anyone who runs autos sims should definitely learn what the different settings mean in the garage, how they affect one another, and take the time to create setups which match their driving style and hardware. The default setups should be stable starting points.

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

It would be great for beginners if rF2 ditched the 'basic' setup screen/tab and instead had some pop-up tips with info about each and every parameter of the settings.

6. guod

guod Registered

Yes, setups are a critical element in all racing, but there is one compelling reason for fixed setups. Time. We've had good success by mixing our events/series with open setups, while other events/series use a fixed setup. The fixed setups are created by volunteer "teams" who are more savvy with setting-up cars. Some active, enthusiastic drivers simple do not have time to develop good setups for each event, so they benefit from the different "setup teams" knowledge. For several of our drivers it is the difference between participating, and not. Even in the fixed setups we typically allow multiple free settings for individual tuning.

7. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

I think of NR2003 when I hear pop-up and that was extremely useful. They had what the setting did and it's impact on other components.

8. DeDios

DeDios Registered

yeah, great idea :)
    For beginners, what you need is a good setup guide :)
    Best one probably is the Raceralex F1 guide (but not for rFactor).
    Main points here:
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbarnett/SetupMatrix.html#Controls

9. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

All these issues can be solved by a simple "Lock Setup" option. This could be handy expecially in one make races, the organizers create a good overall setup, then lock it for everyone. So it's all about racing and fun. For people who saying "arcade" well it's NOT, it's just a common sense option you can use when you need a quick race without wasting time on the setup.

10. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Locked setups can be done through rF1...we do it sometimes. You can even set it to lock a majority of parameters and leave one or two open for adjustement.

11. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I dont see how that's going to work. Setups are so personal and dependant on driving styles. One driver would want something totaly different then another and locking the setups will limit the field allot.
    I can understand why a league or group would want to do it but it doesnt solve any of the issues mentioned above i think.

12. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

You are completely missing the point the locked setup is just for quick races, not for a championship, just for fun, same car, same setup, and go. Period. People back from work lunch the game and race. You can also keep the default settings so no one get advantage of a particular setup and I know people from GT5 that even limit themselves without the advantage of this thing so...

13. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

How true, fast drivers have there own prefrences for car setups, its not hard to make setups anyway just trial and error, some people just want to win without the effort...

Its like reallife, some drivers have a better feel of the car and what to change others rely on mechanics, its the diffrence between fast and slow drivers.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Ok.

Where exactly did OP ask for setup tips because he was only doing quick races?

15. RacerXtc

RacerXtc Registered

I love fixed setups.. hence "IROC series" there all the same and the fast guys are still fast.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I liked the popup info in N2003 too, it's possible you'll get some good documentation, but I don't know if it'll be in or out of sim. I'd actually like to see some setup tips, per car, filling a section of the Wiki.

The issue with rF2, of course, is that the track you start on won't be the track you finish on... It's not really going to be easy to find that perfect setup.

17. theother5

theother5 Registered

What issue ... this sounds fantastic!!!! :lol:

18. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

Nice idea :)

19. Drifter

Drifter Registered

I dare say that over the course of the Beta, some good baseline setups will emerge from those taking part.

20. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

It would be great the possibility of creating an customized "default" setup, in order to, no matter how track you enter, rfactor2 load your customized default setup.