rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 23, 2011.

1. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I screenshot that! :D

2. dworsley

dworsley Registered

I think that last quote is the most important... these screens are looking great, though. I don't think it is over-done at all, and I look forward to tweaking the settings a bit like everything else.

3. lazaro1717

lazaro1717 Registered

One Question, Does the trees in the track move in game?

It would be more immersive to the experience. The HDR looks great, awesome.

4. DeDios

DeDios Registered

yeah, i hope yes! :)

5. shum94

shum94 Registered

I think it's time for a nice video.

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Why bother? You'll just be overly critical regardless of how good it looks.

7. shum94

shum94 Registered

You might be surprised but i might like it.

[​IMG]

I liked this screen despit the low poly for the gmt in the background. The atmosphere is really nice.
    I like to see headlights and tail lights with hdr, cockpit shot at night with a car upfront.

It's not complicated to do but we dont get to see it.

Anyway the open beta aint that far away.

8. bleco

bleco Registered

These new wips looks fantastic!

Thx Tim!

Bleco

9. sg333

sg333 Registered

I assume thats just JPG compression

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

great shots Tim thanks.

Particularly intrigued by the track map, does that change depending which track you're driving at I wonder? :)

11. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Hi Tim

First I want to say that I'm surprised about graphics level. I didn't expect that. It looks really good!

But I wonder about Clio suspension. Why it's so low suspended?

There is no space between wheel and wheel arch on last WIPs but on the older renders everything is ok.
    I don't see any place for suspension movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2011
  12. LRT24

LRT24 Registered

I'm curious to see more daytime shots. After all, that's when most races take place. In this one,

I think the cast shadows aren't strong enough for what looks like a bright sunny day, and the tires look too light in color.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I disagree, but that's what the community is about. I've seen plenty of black tires look that exact shade of grey in the sun.

Some more shots available for a first look at RD:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1086-HDR-Screens-at-RaceDepartment?p=13234#post13234

14. Dave Schnare

Dave Schnare Registered

I agree with ya...this would make 2011....or at least the end of 2011 good ending to a very upsetting year for me.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Above is a good indication of why Tim said you'll be able to configure HDR profiles; lots of people have lots of different opinions :p (I'll concede those two comments were referring to different time-of-day)

You always see disagreement on this stuff because there's confusion about what the eye can do, and the way images/videos restrict its ability to do it.

People take photos with their cameras and find they get washed out areas, or extremely dark areas, but when looking at the same scene directly they can make out detail in the bright objects (sky, clouds) and in the dark areas (shadows, building interiors). It's true that our eyes have a better range, but it's not that much better; if you try to 'look' (indirectly) at a bright object while looking at a dark one you'll find that, actually, it does get quite washed out. Of course when you actually look at it your eyes adjust and you can see the detail - and, similarly, if you indirectly look back at the dark area/object it's now very dark and muddy.

It's a little like watching 3D video of actual captured scenes (rather than generated images) where you sometimes find yourself looking at an object that's out of focus. In real life your eyes would focus on it, but because the camera didn't you don't have the option. (same is true for 2D, of course, but it's less noticeable when the object doesn't appear to be sticking out of the screen)

So, the problem you have with images such as these screenshots is that you're presented with what the game gives you. You can't make the dark areas brighter just by looking at them, nor the bright areas more defined. One person looks at 'highlighted' cars and black shadows and says, "it doesn't look that contrasty in real life," while another person sees a mid-grey shadow and says, "an actual photo/video on a bright day has darker shadows." They're both right in a way, but also wrong ;)

Personally I think it's good that it'll be adjustable because of this divide in opinion. Maybe at times it could lead to perceived advantages if you turn the effects down, but the same could be said of shadows, and a lot of effects (smoke, rain/spray) that are/will be adjustable to cater for differing hardware capabilities. I'd probably lean towards setting it on the side of less contrast, because in real life you have the option to look wherever you want and have your eyes adjust best to that spot; it may look less like a photo overall, but I'll just adjust the profile if I want to take screenshots or capture video.

Curiosity gets the better of me again... which gmt?

16. RedLineRaceR

RedLineRaceR Registered

17. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Great post Lazza!
    So games should have an eye-tracker, to track where we're looking at for adaptive exposure control!

I especially like the HDR in cockpit-mode. I think it really ads to the immersion to be blinded by the low sun, although it means you cannot read your instruments in the cockpit (which may be realistic).
    For the external views only the daytime shots look realistic to me, the others are far to extreme.

I think there are two ways to go: Eye-mode and tv-mode.
    - The Eye-mode has some effects for cockpit-view, like adaptive exposure control. The game 'decides' where to look at (at the road in front of us).
    - TV-mode (for external views and maybe cockpit) produces an more balanced (less extreme) effect where it shouldn't matter where you look at.

18. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

These screens look fantastic, very happy to get some nice updates!

Thanks guys!

19. sg333

sg333 Registered

20. Alesi

Alesi Registered

yeah... once more pictures.... another day, another year, and we still looking only on some pictures... and dreaming (or not) ...about the game...