driving wheels

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by fd3, Jan 6, 2011.

1. fd3

fd3 Registered

i have a microsoft force wheel, i cant get it to work with windows 7. i have tried to all paches with nothing.
    what is the best driving wheel to use for this game if i can not get this one working.

2. Frank Geyer

Frank Geyer Registered

It is hard to say which wheel would be the best, cause it is all a matter of liking ... but many people I know using a G25 from Logitech or the Porsche 911 GT3 RS from Fanatec and they recently released the Porsche 911 GT2 but haven't heard much about this one so far cause it's pretty new to the community.

Cheers
    Frank

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I would get the G27 over the G25 though. the G25 has only two buttons on the wheel, the G27 6 buttons. for me this was a big deal as i use them alllot.
    The G27 is one of the best wheels but i have to admit that i dont know much about the latest wheels. prize wise it would be a better option, new wheels are generaly more expensive.

4. intakexhaust

intakexhaust Registered

I have had no problem with RF and the old MS Sidewinder wheel and use MS7 OS. I also started fresh new with RF and a Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS wheel as I wanted the triple pedals, various shifters and many custom button features, but it does have a minor issue.

The Porsche wheel works perfect on many other sims I have including the old GPL. It also works fine on RF but when I wanted to use the LED features option by adding the PorscheWheelPlugin.dll those features did in fact function but the FFB is chaotic and not tuneable. I must turn off the FFB to use this wheel when using the .dll file.

The RF porschewheelplugin.dll file is not the ideal fix and needs to be corrected. I found it better to remove it and sadly skip the fancy features of a superb driving wheel. I believe there was a thread somewhere regarding this same issue. Hoping for a better solution.

5. michael1

michael1 Banned

logitech GT

6. beatnik

beatnik Registered

I use a Driving Force GT and love it.

7. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Check out this bad ass looking wheel.

8. GTFREAK

GTFREAK Registered

I wonder how expensive that sucker is gonna be. I'm gonna guess around $400 with that Elite FFB package. Maybe even more. hell of a wheel though. I still have a Porsche GT3 RS V2 wheel and clubsport pedals that I don't even use.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Why don't you use them? That's exactly what I have and although I'm not 100% happy with the wheel I love the csp's.

That wheel will be at least 400 I think.

10. FakeThinkpad

FakeThinkpad Registered

As CdnRacer posted I would wait until the Fanatecs new lines of products are released, their Clubsport pedals are amazing value, and the new wheels use the same type of technolegy as Frex wheels wich is over 2000$ (Fanatecs will be around 400-500), its a long term wheel with all interchangeble components and cross platsform support on some models.

Sure, they are still expensive, but look at it this way, spending money on a hobby is well worth it in the end, if you are a simracer its something you are going to use alot and the difference between wheels is huge. every sport or hobby costs money, its all down to personal priority.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  11. Tripp

Tripp Registered

This post start with this question can not someone help tell him why not microsoft force wheel not work ?
    Instead of start talking about g27 and other things ?

In this forum things are turn away in another direction always
    I not now why your wheel not work with win 7 fd3
    i now it can be something that this wheel maybe is to old and not support win 7.
    Like some old scanners just support win 95 ?
    I have no clue,did it worked with xp i should use that instead to buy be a new wheel.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Tripp, fd3 already said they (he?) tried 'all patches' with no result. Unless someone has specific experience with that wheel (and if someone does they aren't saying) we'd just be taking guesses - like you did. And the second part of fd3's post was 'what is the best driving wheel ...' so people are just answering that question with ideas.

And on that theme, I think the MS Force wheel is a fairly budget one, if you want to stay/be cheap you could go for a Logitech MOMO (I'm assuming they're still around, probably not much over US$100) which'll get you a half decent FFB wheel and pretty dodgy pedals... or the G27 is a good step up in quality (and price), but I only have personal experience with Logitech and there are likely lots of options. If you dig around a bit you should be able to narrow it down, but it does help to have a price range before you go in.

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I don't know where the OP is from but I'd be willing to give him my momo and pedals for shipping.

14. mikem

mikem Registered

If you know Frex Simwheel, you know that unlike any Fanatec wheel including the upcoming CSW which despite the improvement is still belt driven albeit with stronger motors, the Simwheel on the other hand is based on proprietary system. Here's the quote from ShingeT, the owner and inventor of Frex, explaining the technology behind Simwheel:

"That will not used a Gear nor Belt.
    I faced limitation of the gear and belt because of their backlash, noise, loose, energy loss, too much complicated...... I knew that is not a suitable mechanism even if we tried most expensive planetary gears.

Mysterious?
    Yes, the company also supprised the usage of the mechanism never used like that he said in spite of who is a industrial leader of Factory Automation"

"I confirmed this is a innovation design and aware necessity of take Patent because we confirmed it is only a mechanism that can realize real car wheel feeling that is not available so far. No backlash, No grindy feel, quiet, multi turn, mechanically adjustable lock to lock, hi efficiency, can install upside down for formula type tub, slim shape ....."

You can not turn in corner with 25cm Wheel with 100% power setting.

We couldn't get good price depend on our previous design which needed to use expensive unit inside.
    So we had started redesign the internal mechanism built into plate and frames of the wheel unit has same mechanism by each functional parts built together.
    Functionally, out looking are same nothing has changed.
    We will start test on the new one very soon.
    The new mechanism let get the price down a lot.
    But still many expensive parts we have to use into the unit to realize the real steering feel but getting closer to the price for the market not only for a enthusiast or research laboratory.

I am glad that I could invent and bring on this mechanism(EU,US.JP Patent.P) has No backlash, No grindy feel, Low mechanical drag, Stronger and faster force feedback which you can feel a tyre in game is made by rubber like a real car."

ShingeT is Japanese ;)

If you look at the innard of Simwheel, you'll see something that look like a huge drill shaft. I won't even attempt to explain how it works since I don't own one (a Simwheel) and I'm not technically inclined.

The only mechanical similarity between the upcoming CSW and Frex Simwheel is the fact that both wheels have a Quick Release system.

Personally, I'd be happy if I can upgrade (hopefully this year) from my 3 year old G25 (still going strong) to the Thrustmaster T500RS. While the motor of the T500RS is half the wattage of the CSW, it's also cheaper and best of all, I can walk into a store and pick one up.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  15. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Nothing mysterious ;-)
    There is a worm gear, that's all.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Logitech, Fanatec and Thrustmaster are manufacturers we tested with a lot and will be including profiles for.

There was an issue (hopefully being fixed as I type) with Thrustmasters drivers becoming overloaded by our FFB, and subsequently requiring a slower FFB update rate (otherwise the driver eventually takes 100% CPU and drops the software out of realtime). We did put in a hack to fix this, but hopefully there will be an updated driver from them to fix this.

17. Grubby

Grubby Registered

Good news that the Logitech wheels seem fine :)

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm glad to see they've done alot of testing with fanatec wheels as they often get neglected by devs. I'm curious if rF2 has any hard coded damping in the FFB or if all settings can be manually set by user.

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... you can set all that in rF1, I can't see why they'd lock it down...

20. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

In the UI?