Why are the free online tracks so bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BorisK66, Mar 2, 2024.

1. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I have no idea why there is even a debate. Some of the free tracks used in Race Control are out of date from a technical standpoint and we have been talking about this issue alot. And I wouldn't blame that on the end user and tell him to ignore the big differences in quality. Computer games need standardization and consistent quality control, simple as that. We don't have the player numbers of iRacing to get away with polygonal trackshapes and tracklayouts from 2010 costing ten bucks. Sadly that ship has sailed and I wouldn't bet on any of the free tracks getting an update. With LMU there is the opportunitiy to get this right this time though and learn from mistakes made in the past.

2. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

Calm down, relax :D

I tell you what, Belgium, Italy, Monaco are not the best eye candy, I have never said otherwise.
    However they got more terrain and feeling in their little toes then any ACC or AMS2 circuit I ever driven.

P.S. That goes for all online free tracks as well.

3. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

No, they were licensed by Engineering Consulting for use in rF2. The IP for those tracks is also owned by EC.

Ayrton de Lima likes this.
  4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

That would be my definition of a third party work. Sorry, I'm confused. o_O

Thanks for the information anyway.

5. wowbaggr

wowbaggr Registered

You're not the only one.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This all went a bit sideways when 8ball started defending all 3rd party tracks when someone was complaining about the ones on Race Control. As usual we really need diagrams to keep track of things at this point.

7. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

The nuance here is that this party was in direct contact with S397 and at the same time developing the Tatuus cars in collaboration. But yeah it depends on your definition of third party. For example, is Reiza a third party too in this context, as in their case too they own the licenses and the IP for the content they added to rF2?

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I might call entities like Reiza, 2nd parties. 3rd party I would reserve for modders/individual users.

Marcel Offermans likes this.
  9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The way I understand it, first and second parties are S397 and us consumers. Third party is anyone else adding some value to the product, rF2 in this case.

So Reiza, EC and modders would be third party. The main difference for me is that Reiza and some others are selling their mods, while most others including EC are offering them for free.

10. wowbaggr

wowbaggr Registered

I believe the important part is that the creators hold a license from the rights holders which legally allows distribution and use with rF2.

pkelly and Marcel Offermans like this.
  11. doug484

doug484 Registered

So, without even understanding the context of what I was responding to, you chose ignorance and typed out an aggressive response of your own? Trying to start a fight over nothing, eh?

12. wowbaggr

wowbaggr Registered

Well, that is your take. I already explained and apologized for any misunderstanding on my part.

Your response seems to be the one looking for a fight. <shrug>

DJCruicky likes this.