After update I can't downshift in GT3 cars.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kgriffall, Feb 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

Found my Problem: my shifter was in 4th gear.
    Then (with shift paddles) at stillstand, the gear shift prevent system prevents to shift in any gear (even to 1th or 4th)

(solved)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    Bidle, Corti and davehenrie like this.
  2. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

What is this problem all about?
    It's been fixed in LeMans since patch 1.
    Then, since LeMans has been released, some will probably come back to rFactor2 and there it is very annoying.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rF2 doesn't have 2023 cars.

I think everything else was said above.

4. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Ignored...

The_Bad_Fasterd and 8Ball like this.
  5. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

So, what's about that, please?
    Its so nice, that the developer fixed it in LeMans but not here.
    You see, no another Simulation has it.
    No iR, R3E, AC, ACC, AMS1+2, bNG, DR2, WRC or LeMansUltimate.
    If its real, please, then fix all another things also, that are not real.

6. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Let's start with the cost of racing. Once that is in place, I'm sure most other things will also happen quickly!

7. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

Check GAMEPLAY that "Repeat shifts" is disabled.

I don't think you understand the proposition.
    rF2 is languishing at 70+% positivity in Steam.
    Simply because every single ungrateful type makes it a mission to make negative comments.
    Go read the reviews the little right hand column and tell me those 5 negative comments make any sense at all

These are the most recent ones after all patches !
    I mean what a bunch of losers !

That's right they are utter garbage and lies from people could not steer a boat in a bathtub
    What would you buy for your first sim one @ 94% or 74%
    Sorry but it is people like you have screwed ISI.
    If people that like it reviewed it then maybe sales would have risen enough they could address your every whim and fancy.
    Cant have it both ways.

imho was a concerted effort to bring ISI down
    That is after they helped bring you many sims for decades
    We all supposed to be simmers.
    Unconscionable !

Rant button off

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    PedroJ and Ayrton de Lima like this.
  8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

In all honesty jumping from any Sims I own to RF2 requires adaption every time i have to drive a GT3 because of this downshift protection
    Its not that bothering me but when you add up other annoyances the Game has it can kind of ruin the experience

Which is really a pitty because oh boy physics are great and FFB is 2nd to none on a DD wheel
    And with some Reshade tweaking i applied it looks gorgeous
    S

Kickbox likes this.
  9. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

That's the point!
    You start the game and after a few metres on the track... Ahhh, no! That's the downshift protection thing and you stop it, uninstall and load AMS2 or ACC.
    I don't understand why the downshift protection thing doesn't have an option. It's the same as a driving assistant. If you want it, you switch the option on. It doesn't bother anyone. But you can't switch this really annoying thing on or off like an assistant. LMU doesn't have it, please give it to rF2.

I mean it's only good for rFactor2 and I would like to enjoy it as there are great cars and tracks that would be a shame to lose. Especially the Cup Porsche on the Nordschleife is a dream. But this pain in the arse downshift protection is really annoying. And I think the programming effort is significantly less than the benefit for the driving experience.

Please, to the developers, take up the cause.

10. redapg

redapg Registered

I know it's not the best Solution, but you can create Updates (also for DLC Cars), with that the Gear Protection can be completely disabled.
    If there is an Interest and someone doesn't know how to do it, i can offer to create it.

Kickbox and Corti like this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Or,

You just drive the thing the way it needs to be driven. Are you a driver or a diva?

It's the same for everyone. IMO that's better than an option, which would be... crazy. I mean, actual downshift protection - stopping you downshifting too early - avoids some performance gain, so it wouldn't be a benign option. The inability to downshift when accelerating is less about performance, though being able to keep power on while downshifting could be a stability and/or pace advantage if you could disable that.

If you drive the same cars elsewhere, just treat the rF2 version as a different electronics configuration, and this is how you have to drive it. Refusing to change your driving despite driving a different car? That's not driving.

JEmilio, jayarrbee36 and Bernat like this.
  12. redapg

redapg Registered

@Lazza I don't have much Time to drive a few Laps and i especially like to drive on the Norschleife, because i did it in real Life Years ago.
    And i have to say, that i don't mind to disable Gear Protection in the Car that i use to drive there.
    For me, the Fun is the prior Point and Gear Protection, not to be able to shift whenever you want, is a Fun Killer for me.

davehenrie and Kickbox like this.
  13. Corti

Corti Registered

It would be as simple as adding an option with a keystroke, as you do with the other options that enable or disable aids.

Kickbox likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think I understand your point.

This is rF2, a lot of how the cars work can be modified, you're even offering to help people do it. So they can do that.

That's not the same as asking for the original car to be changed because you don't like how it is. There are onboard laps from real GT3 cars that completely match the behaviour forced on you by the current protection implementation, which doesn't mean all GT3 cars have the same, but could indicate that at least some of them do. So, if that's how the car they've modeled works, isn't that how we should drive it? Otherwise why play sims?

Driving different cars with different technique, having different steering ratios, learning to use things like DRS, all that stuff is what makes it interesting. If they all drive the same what's the point?

15. redapg

redapg Registered

@Lazza As said, MY prior Point is to have Fun.
    And only because of a deactivated Gear Protection, all Cars drive the same?
    Interesting Statement.

Kickbox likes this.
  16. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

This is very interesting and I would like to have a solution on how to decrypt, open, change and close vehicles. As I only drive offline anyway, it doesn't bother me and I don't understand why I have to adapt my usual driving behaviour, even though it's not solved in the same way for "everyone else". So it would be great if you could customise the files. I know a bit about this as I have experimented a lot in the past.

17. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

I don't want to change my driving style because it's fine in all other simulations.
    Why are you trying to re-educate us?
    It's like telling a novice driver to take the bus first, to learn.
    Whether the comparison fits or not, I would like to drive the car without this "interim solution".
    In all other simulations, this downshift protection ONLY comes into effect if the engine could over-rev due to this action.
    I agree with that and I don't want that either!
    Why I am concerned that you must NOT touch the throttle when downshifting.
    That's the point I'm trying to make.

We may have misunderstood each other the whole time.

nolive721 likes this.
  18. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Please, I don't understand that. Translated by deepl, it also don't make sense for me.

19. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Possibly also the thought, if you annoy people with something like this, as a game that has only 500 people in the last 24h in the Steam statistics, I think it's counterproductive to drive the last ones away with such a very small unpleasant part.

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

a: There is no one available to make this change even if they wanted to. All resources are focused on LMU.
    b: users like @redapg can often create an upgrade to give you what you want. They 'fixed' the Caterham and Mini already.
    c: I never realized how much hand-holding other sims did for their users.

Ayrton de Lima likes this.