Does RF2 have plan in improving/tweaking their slip angle physics?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by johndc, Mar 2, 2024.

1. johndc

johndc Registered

Hello. I have observed how rfactor 2 has some slip angle physics issues. Many pro sim racers and real life racers have said that rfactor2 slip angle is excessive and not close to realistic game mechanics.

Thanks for the devs hardwork and I hope this update would come to rfactor 2 soon.

avenger82 and Taranta like this.
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

So just for everyone else's benefit, this also got posted on Discord and basically the same thing on the LMU forum regarding LMU.

There's a bit of assumption going on, plus some confirmation bias, and some lack of understanding of how the game does its physics. Whether there's an ongoing issue with car dynamics rests, IMO, on how people are driving them in order to compete at the highest levels.

It's probably too early to call in LMU, perhaps someone has some input on recent rF2 cars in competitive league racing / RC? (where at least replays are readily available without jumping through hoops, when they work)

3. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I have a friend that's driven many track days in some very fast cars; he says no simulation is realistic.

If you want to convince dev's to change the game physics, try using factual data to prove your point.
    I've heard it works much better than opinions do.

4. johndc

johndc Registered

This is not to press against LMU and Rfactor2. I am doing these posts because I want this game to improve and probably be the best sim racing game out. This issue in Rfactor2 is not a myth and this issue still persists in LMU. The game is already good but being good doesnt mean you should just stay stay there the whole time.

Lots of players who reviewed it, including pro race car drivers including gt racers that has enough experience with race cars with advanced downforce technology. Its just a general representation of the specific classes. These cars have a basic behavior that should generally react close around a certain benchmark. I am not sure if the devs sees this as a less important detail in the game but I was just recommending how important this is in my own perspective.

One thing I know is LMU as a serious sim racing game, its has probably the best spot right now in sim racing platform. There are enough great sim racers and real life pro racers that are willing to give their honest inputs to improve the game. They themselves say they are willing to listen to the community and these specific people are the best source to know what is the best way to replicate the game closer to real racing physics.

I might have just taken this out of proportion and maybe I dont have enough scope of the complexity of achieving and developing these specific type of physics but If its possible I hope the devs would look into this and get more inputs from real racers that drive these specific cars.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Taranta likes this.
  5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

You do realize that many Real-Life racing teams use rF2 (pro version) for testing purposes. While the technology / data is used in very specific ways, the basic physics model in use is much the same. Should that not account for something?
    AC is also used for training purposes, yet these two simulations are very different in approach to modeling physics / tires.

Quite a few Pro Race-car drivers also point to iRacing physics as being quite flawed. We can find cases in almost every racing simulation where [Professional drivers + Sim-racers] either celebrate accuracy of physics or rant against them.
    Ben Collins (Race-car driver /Test driver / Former Stig / Pcars2 handling consultant) once stated in an interview (when asked about racing sims), "All Racing Sim's are Rubbish". Who's right? Who's wrong? How do we know? Why should we care?

The mere fact that even Pro Race-car drivers who also sim-race cannot agree on which title does physics best should give us a clue. Human judgement of the real-life vs virtual racing worlds is clearly prone to errors within the translation process.

Sure, it would be nice to have a definitive answer to the questions of physics & tire-model accuracy for once and for all but, unless you are a Real-life race car driver / team using simulation for training purposes, does it really matter?

6. Taranta

Taranta Registered

Oh yes ...:)

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

All the significant error aside, I would be wary of equating rFactor 2 with rFPro. They are entirely different product lines, and any professional teams using rFPro are running their own physics parameters (at the least), or their own physics code - including for things like tyres.

8. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes, thank you for that clarification. My memory module may be a little slippy these days. ;)

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

To answer your question in the post title : I don’t think so. The devs have so many long standing core issues to solve and the one you’re describing is one of them, but I guess it has low priority or hard to solve (or both). for the foreseeable future they will be busy patching and working on LMU. If the fix is in the common code the there’s a chance it will eventually be backported to rF2. But I’m not on the official Discord so I may by wrong.