Car .cam editing

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by 3377, Feb 9, 2024.

1. 3377

3377 Registered

Does the devmode editor is the right way to edit car cameras in devmode? I managed to only add track camera. Maybe I missed the option for car cameras

I imported a car in blender (the skipbarber for reference) I added the cameras positions from the .cam file (including the y-z switch in the coordinates) as objects.
    However doing this, the objects representing the cameras were oddly placed. For example the cockpit camera located at (0;0;0) being at the world origin.
    I assume for the car cameras, the origin is the center of the driver?
    Or maybe the body mesh center?
    Does somebody has an idea about this?

Editing the position of the cameras on the .cam file would really be easier than going on develloper mode to do it... (If it's possible in dev mode)

Thanks

2. redapg

redapg Registered

The "PositionOffset" Values are related to the Eyepoint Position, that is defined in the Cockpitinfo.ini.

The Skip Barber has the Entry Eyepoint=( 0.0, 0.66, 0.17), so when the Camera has the PositionOffset=(0,0,0), the Camera is located at ( 0.0, 0.66, 0.17) too.

For the Cockpit Camera there is a separate Entry in the Cockpitinfo.ini: CameraTarget=(0.0, 0.55, 0.35).

So you have to calculate the Position of a Camera by using that Values as the Base and the PositionOffset in the Cam File is what it is called, an Offset to that Value.

3377 likes this.
  3. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Great explanation, Chris…..why to not add to your useful and “unique” RF2 online tools another smart cam editor, with which uploading cockpitinfo.ini and cam files, that, once imported, may give and show easily the positions of cam views, knowing the exact their “start” point in cam file.
    It could be useful especially for changing the view angles in pitch or rotating…..commonly not easy to make in a “blind” way.
    Personally, editing cam file, for me, means to make a change in file, starting RF2 ( mod dev ), and see the effect…..This work, considering errors or adjustments for all the views inside a cam file, means opening, starting and then shut down RF2 a lot of times ……therefore, a lot of boring times to get the final right cam result.
    If there is a quicker please, let me know.
    Many thanks

4. redapg

redapg Registered

Hello Nicola,
    i fear, that this is the Way, in that i do it, too. :D

I also thought about a Tool but then i didn't found it helpful, because we have to work with the Offsets in the Cam File, so that to have the "full" Position doesn't help.

What we would need, is a DevMode Editor, that goes to the Position of each Cam (origin from the Cockpitinfo.ini+Offset) and allows a "live" Editing then.
    Unfortunately, we can not create that. :)

5. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Thank You:)

6. 3377

3377 Registered

Thank you for the explanation!

It's sad that this info is not really clearly mentioned somewhere