FFB harshness over kerbs and rumble strips

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Gary_S85, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There’s a ffb file in the rf2 folder
    Easy to find

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's no kerb FFB settings that do anything, unless you make them.

Haven't we had this discussion previously?

stonec likes this.
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I’ll check later & report back
    I use to personalise my ffb all the time -things could have changed but I’ll check , these is a (/was) a dedicated line for curbs

4. stonec

stonec Registered

There was and still is, but they only apply for rF1 style curbs. In other words, curbs that are essentially flat but have baked in fake bump effects. rF2 tracks use 3D curbs and AFAIK no popular track has those fake effects enabled anymore.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

What a shame
    Thanks for info stonec

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The controller profiles don't have them enabled. They can still be enabled and will be applied on top of the physically-generated FFB, but no one will have that happen unless they manually make that change.

And just so Alex doesn't take this the wrong way, I'll say - again - that although the resultant FFB from running over kerbs is (presumably) completely calculated from the physics, that doesn't mean it's completely realistic in nature or magnitude - due to lack of compliance, at least.

7. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The question remains why some complain and some others don't. Is there really something wrong in the physics for the curbs? Does it happen because some play with overpowered FFB? Are they being too whiny because they expect curbs to be more like rumble strips like in other games?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

'physics for the curbs' is the wrong way of putting it.

There's play in real life, a little movement in all joints, a little give in all connectors and connections, all the way from the wheel (that holds the tyre) to the wheel (that the driver holds). That's not in rF2. I would lean towards that contributing to harsh kerb feeling, and overly noisy/abrupt general FFB that DD wheel owners damp out with their settings (manually or done by the wheel drivers for them).

You could certainly argue tyres don't interact with exact kerb shapes, as the ttool doesn't run the tyre through a nearly infinite combination of bump sizes and shapes, but how much that would impact on tyre vertical (or, indeed, horizontal, affecting the rotation around the kingpin and therefore the steering rack) force transmission is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, unless we have any budding tyre engineers around here, and someone who knows how the current ground geometry is applied to the tyre in realtime.

Maybe some just accept it's probably right and don't question it? There's really no way to answer it for sure, we can theorize and play the "which is more likely" game, but we don't know.

avenger82 likes this.
  9. Comante

Comante Registered

I think there are a bunch of problems there, apart the correlation with reality that Lazza pointed out : in real world every component has an elastic module, and in the real world cars can break into pieces over kerbs.. but the problem with high end FFB wheel could be that maybe user keep it too raw and limitless, maybe for fear to filter out some details, this is ok in normal circumstances, but in extreme ones, like kerbs, the spikes it can generate are excessive. I don't think the problem is the simulator per se, but for sure the integration of high powered wheels shoule be done with care, and there should be some failsafe here and there, but I suppose their place is in the wheel software or settings. I've read that you can limit a lot of parameters in the output, and I think it should be standard practice for every condition that exceed "normal use condition"

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Curbs can even break cars, in particular the sharp anti-cut curbs that are now common on some tracks. Article here from a couple of years ago in F1, so there has to be pretty strong forces involved.

There is no special physics module in rF2 that triggers when you drive over a curb versus just a bumpy road so the whole "physics of the curbs" concept does not make much sense to me either. What is generally missing is some kind of simulation of the power steering and how it impacts or dampens forces.