Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Allwin20200

Allwin20200 Registered

Hi!

Regarding the Safety Rank. I usually am very cautious and don't make any contact in race, but I never achieved the three green up arrows in my safety rank update. How can I get them?

Also, I see a problem with these rankings. Is hard to promote to Silver/Gold ranks, which I think is fair and OK, but once someone achieve high Silver/Gold ranks... can they drive 'dirty' for some races without too much penalty in their SR?
    Example: someone managed to get a high Silver SR, he can afford to take some cars out in the next races without having a lot of negative impact in his SR. He will still be in Silver SR.
    Does it make sense to have more penalties like:
    - when having a race with negative SR: grid penalties in next races (not a fan of this solution TBH)
    - if having consecutive 2/3 races with negative SR: demote temporarily his SR (from Gold to Silver or from Silver to Bronce) for a number of races (2, 3, 5 races?)

It can seem a little harsh, but otherwise the SR won't matter once you build some high SR and you won't be punished for driving carelessly...

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The three arrows are only given to the person who gained (or lost) the most in that race.

SR is dynamic. It's not locked in just because you have high SR - it can go down just like it went up. The fact it tends to go up, is (hopefully) an indicator that people generally are pretty safe.

Allwin20200 likes this.
  3. JRS

JRS Registered

Not numb. I'm the same way.

If I understand what you are getting at correctly, I don't think you should get duplicate .rfcmp files. The ones from the workshop move with the rF2 install location. They do not stay in the default STEAM installation. In my scenario, i.e. I put rF2 on a dedicated NVMe by moving it from within Steam to the new SSD and drive letter. It moved the \workshop\content\365960 folder to the new location as well so all the .rfcmp files for the workshop go there. When you uninstall the existing .rfcmp files will go bye=bye. A reinstall should re-acquire.

To my understanding, and unfortunately, when you sub to a Workshop item, <Your Steam Install>\steamapps\workshop\content\365960 the .rfcmp file will download, stay and use up space. If you remove, I believe folks have tried (Arma does the same thing), Steam will re-acquire the files. I have 290GB of this stuff wasting my space.

You can use symbolic links to redirect the workshop content. It's still using space but at least the rF2 location, if on a separate drive, has more actual space for cars/tracks. This is my next thing because of the goofy 290GB referred to, which really is wasted space. My actual car/track folders only use 285GB. Equal to the actual workshop .rfcmp files. :confused: Really a waste of space.

Hope that clarifies or answers?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
    atomed and nolive721 like this.
  4. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Yep that’s the issue I am talking about

I have this concern too because my STEAM Simracing titles are on a 1tb nvme and with RF2 workshop items and AC mods I am close to full

anyway I am away of my rig for more 2 days and I also need to test exhaustively a new VR headset I bought a PICO4 so not sure I will have time this weekend for this reinstall topic

thank you very much in any case for the details
    It’s much appreciated

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  5. JRS

JRS Registered

No problem.

nolive721 likes this.
  6. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

hello

just to let you know that this also worked for me. Thanks so much

JRS likes this.
  7. Stefan Minkoff

Stefan Minkoff Registered

Ok now, the Driver Rating was totally miscalculated in my last race. The Targets were met but the system did not record them right...
    - I qualified 2nd, target was 2nd, but i was told that i was 15th ... last actually. I lost points because i was in the lower part of the grid , but I started 2nd and finished 2nd.
    So i did 2/4 of the objectives that were expected from me, where i actually did all of them ... so i gained just a few points...

This is not really great experience. You drive so you can climb the ladder and the system does not quite know what is going on ... ? So you just loose your time if this is happening....

8. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

Maybe someone can explain a bit behind the logic of the driver rank,
    negative even if the overall result was ok and improved over expected.
    View attachment upload_2023-12-29_0-54-28.png

1 hour race with 30 driver, should have been something like 3 splits.
    It is what it is, but bit odd with negative result.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  9. Bernat

Bernat Registered

As far as I know the expected position doesn't mean much. It's your performance compared to the performance of the others that counts. Like the ELO in chess, if you end ahead of someone with more rating than you you will gain more rating. But if someone with less rating than you beats you will loose rating. That's how I think it works.

The_Bad_Fasterd and Wergilius like this.
  10. Allwin20200

Allwin20200 Registered

mmm yes, but I thought that your predicted position was your ELO, so if you gain positions means that you are ahead of some guys with more ELO than you... the picture attached has no sense for me, tbh (unless there were a lot of DNF and DNFs are not taking into account for ratings)

11. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think the predicted positions are calculated before the race.

12. Esplomer38

Esplomer38 Registered

Hello,
    Can someone explain why I get a penalty after finishing race or the classifying laps if I press Esc ? Any sugestions welcome. Thanks!

13. Wergilius

Wergilius Registered

I was also thinking that the expected should result in more or less, unchanged rating. In the race from the picture there was a few DNF as expected in a 1 hour race but it was both behind and ahead of the total 30 drivers.

Compare to iracing, in general you need to end at or above middle to gain rating with some fluctuation depending on your current rating compare to the drivers around you.

I'll take a look at the result again, maybe the drivers behind had lower rating in general then it would make some sense.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

More numbers overall (which I'm guessing might be the case with iRacing, at least in popular series) would mean you have more drivers near you in the same race, so finishing towards the front would more often reward you with a gain. If you have fewer drivers in an event (iRacing or rF2) it's going to correlate less to your finishing position in the field, and more about how your rating compares to other drivers.

And by that same token, if your expected position is 3rd, that presumably just means when the drivers in your split are sorted by DR you are the 3rd best. The DR adjustment you get afterwards will depend on how you did relative to each of those other drivers and their DR; it's not straightforward, and actually showing the 'expected result' is probably only confusing things despite trying to be more transparent.

15. Ciarfe

Ciarfe Registered

Hi all, yesterday I try to do my first race with online system, everything was good in practice, but when it finished I was kicked from the server, but my connection was good. I tried to rejoin, but I was kicked out again and I give up. But today I saw in my stats that was counted as a DNF, but I haven't take part neither in race or qualy. Is there a way to have this removed from my stats?