Released rFactor 2 Q4 Release Candidate - New Online Experience

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Alex Sawczuk, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Beginer sprint races can be bloody good fun and eventful to!

2. diegozippo

diegozippo Registered

Nice Paul, very nice. Former rfactor 2 users deserved this moment

DanRZ likes this.
  3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The crash in the last turn looks so realistic even without body deformation... it's scary.

The races are intense. There's lots of mistakes in the beginner races but it makes it interesting.

4. Comante

Comante Registered

Yes, it is a good occasion to learn patience and where put pressure on the driver ahead can make him mistake a turn. A good learning field. I even improved my laptimes following a faster driver.

5. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Guys, what you're talking about was already there for a long time. Nothing really new in terms of enjoyment. Before RC it was majorly present in leagues or privates events ... not mentionning LFM who did a great job on "enlarging" rF2 players population ...

Now everybody can enjoy that from the native game !

The ratings are not that important anymore when you understand that. They become pure match-making parameters to enjoy even more the game.

Thanks S397 to have kept rF2 to its roots ... ;)

Emery, Bernat, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  6. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

And by the way, @S397, please don't go too far on putting too much enphasis on ratings, or it will become more attractive than pure enjoyment, and will surely ruin the spirit.

That's what is happening on a few well known simracing games and it's called farming ... playing for pure ratings ...

atomed likes this.
  7. atomed

atomed Member

Problem with focusing too much on the ratings makes the racing more "violent" and prone to crashing one into each other. Incidents lead to reports which means extra work on the staff reviewing all of them. That relation between engaging with the players via rating adiction and clean competition is always something to take into account.

8. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Sure. Competition should be valuated only by serie and car and not on pure performance on any car/serie.

If rF2 doesn't introduce series and championships, with their own ratings, competition will only be based on base ratings ... That is a BIG weak point for the future imo !!! People will gradually get back to organized leagues and leave the native RaceControl ... Also getting back to old mods less "hyped" and way more enjoyable.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Mate it just gets better every time I go on! And talk about intense, this one was clean enough, but so close there was that much paint swapping it could have been sponsored by Dulux!

codeREDsim likes this.
  10. codeREDsim

codeREDsim Registered

Well done Studio 397. Having been on iRacing for 2 years, this update has got me to download rF2. The online experience has been superb, with close racing. A few HUD improvements wouldn't go amiss but the physics is an improvement on iRacing IMO.

Looking forward to getting more converts and building the community!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
    Sean_S36, justposted, S-AMG and 2 others like this.
  11. r00b Driver

r00b Driver Registered

Yeah the HUD needs a bit more than a 'few' improvements :D

Best off with Racelabs or Simhub :)

codeREDsim and S-AMG like this.
  12. SuperMelon

SuperMelon Registered

anything to run racelab/simhub/custom hud in VR at the moment? I'm using OpenXR Toolkit and it works pretty awesome with rF2. However HUD is indeed pain in the core system.

Sean_S36 and codeREDsim like this.
  13. justposted

justposted Registered

I don't think so. Unless you run via SteamVR.

Which HUD are you using? You know you can download different ones, right? There are a bunch in the workshop.

14. stuboyle

stuboyle Registered

Well, I learned the hard way what happens when you "spectate" a race! You are really a participant, it shows you finishing last, or nearly last as a DNF and you take hit to your driver rating! :(

Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
    Sean_S36 and Balazs Magyar like this.
  15. SuperMelon

SuperMelon Registered

yup, there are some decent in Workshop. I'm using 379 HUD Lite Delta which gives nice compact info.
    I get used to some compromises in HUD - and after all I think it is ok with what we have. Unless someone in Studio 379 someday makes a permanent update, just as they did with online racing.

They f.. killed my iRacing excitement. Can't enjoy it anymore. Fu..k. The better is the worst enemy of good enough.

atomed likes this.
  16. Binny

Binny Guest

you can make your own hud.

17. SuperMelon

SuperMelon Registered

that was not the point. Current hud system is outdated, vr overlays do not work - that was the point.

Sean_S36 likes this.
  18. atomed

atomed Member

@SuperMelon , I use
    @Slow Motion ´s fantastic SMG Huds (#27 is my favorite), but SimHub does a pretty decent job at overlaying their huds in VR. I´ve never spent too much time on them but they work perfectly and I think they´re a good alternative.
    P.S. Same as you, rF2 killed all my iRacing enjoyment with a single blow :p

SuperMelon likes this.
  19. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Mmm, went to use my PC last and found that it had updated to the new build. However, it requires a new account - what's that about please?

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

shouldn't have happened unless you haven't used rF2 for like about the last 8 years or so. What it is probably asking for is your Real Name for the Online Racing, which will be tied to your Steam ID #.