Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

Definitely not in offline mode.

2. JRS

JRS Registered

Defender disabled to make sure. Listed that earlier on.

3. JRS

JRS Registered

Foremost, nobody should be apologizing.

I've some other ideas and things to try. Already tried moving the installation back to the default Steam install / location. Didn't help.

I'll keep plonking away on this. Something has to give me hope of ditching iracing. Nobody truly knows how much I loathe that thing.

Thanks again all.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Wow :eek: I'd assumed it had probably resolved itself.

There's no rF2 stuff in your documents or elsewhere that could be overriding it? It seems frankly impossible that newly downloaded rF2 files would contain the old main menu.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

what drive letter is your STEAM install located on?

6. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

It’s ok I will be patient until it’s official

too many things to try and not enough time for hobby

especially considering I upgraded my 4K lcd tv to an oled this weekend

and testing couple of VR headsets in paralllel

so honestly offline RF2 will do for now sorry bothering you

7. redapg

redapg Registered

@nolive721 @JRS I did make a quick Test, where i extracted all new Files that come with the RC and pasted it into a "None" Beta Installation.
    That seems to work here (i didn't deeper test the new Online Function, because i have no Account for it yet).
    If you want, you can try it out (at your own Risk of course :)).
    Download THIS zip File (rF2RC.zip) and extract it directly into your rFactor 2 Installation Folder (overwrite if asked).
    If Problems appear, please post again here.

nolive721 likes this.
  8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

I am a brave man,I am giving it a try right now and will report back later as its close to 10PM over here in Japan

9. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

10. redapg

redapg Registered

That is more than strange now.
    When you extracted the zip File, have you been ask to overwrite 50 existing Files?
    And did you agree to overwrite it?
    If needed, i can record a Video, that shows that it works here.

Do you, after the Extraction, have 26 *.jar Files in the Folder ..\rFactor 2\Bin\Bundles, that have the Modification Date/Time 20.11.2023 08:45?

11. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

yes to all that
    again i don't want to waste your time so lets ignore my issue

i just spent an hour in VR and it was superb

i will wait patiently for the public release

redapg likes this.
  12. redapg

redapg Registered

It's just that it interests me, what causes this obviously seldom Problem.

13. redapg

redapg Registered

@nolive721 One last Question: the26 *.jar Files with the Modification Date/Time 20.11.2023 08:45 don't have (1) in their File Names?

nolive721 likes this.
  14. JRS

JRS Registered

My Steam install is on D:\ so rF2 is was on that, in the tunneled in usual place.

I moved it with the Steam tool to its own dedicated NVMe. Drive R: :D

Moved back to drive D:\ during troubleshooting. D:\ is mechanical. I'd prefer to keep it off of there.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The R:\ may have been an issue, rF2 is so old that they never contemplated having storage letters that high in the alphabet. But moving back to D:\ should have overcome that hurdle. I agree about wanting to use the NVME device, I have one as my main storage C:\ and that drastically speeded up rF2 track loads.
    One thing that worries me, you have stated you will wait for the Release Candidate to go final. From what I just read that will happen tomorrow Nov. 21. But the process of updating to a new version seems to me to be exactly the same as swapping between release and final options. I sure hope whatever is blocking you won't continue.
    let us know!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  16. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

yes I am the same, I want to fix things. but here I have no time for deeper troubleshooting.
    yes the files didn't have (1) extension.
    I am back to None in the Beta tab and running File integrity check right now but it will take a while(my install is 172gb big due to numerous Workshop tracks and cars)
    I am reading just above that S397 is rolling out the RC to become public today so lets wait and see

redapg likes this.
  17. JRS

JRS Registered

Here's what I did to fix this.

1. Used a free trial Vice Versa to replicate my rF2 Installation\Vehicles and Installation\Locations to a location on my network to preserve my 'Local' non-Workshop content.

2. Backed up my entire Player folder.

3. Uninstalled rF2 using Geek Uninstaller. Really good free software that also does a deep clean after removing leftover folders and registry items.
    @nolive721 This is particularly important. You mentioned doing a reinstall and nothing changing. I'll say with 99% certainty, you had something left behind so a reinstall reassumed the problem.

4. Exited Steam.

5. Reboot

6. Installed rF2
    Installed mine to a dedicated SSD Drive - Drive R:\. (Optional)

It will download / install all your purchased and subscribed workshop content. First run, it will chug through all the content, installing/updating. Takes a while depending on how much content.

After, I copied back the local cars and tracks that I had added outside of the Steam Workshop. Thankfully those folders are copy and paste and the game recognizes them. You don't need to reinstall from .rfcmp files.

I now have an Online menu.

I was able to put back my player.JSON file and my Controller folder/file and all my customizations are still there.

Files from an updated system with an operational Online Menu still did not work. So something content / software was breaking this even though it seemed to update and was reporting correct version numbers.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2023
    nolive721, Spyro and Emery like this.
  18. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

thanks a lot for the write-up because I came back Home an hour ago to find that the update was being rolled out, installed it and indeed absolutely no difference it made to the issue I am facing.

I will try your method over the weekend as I am traveling from tomorrow.
    Just one question as its been a while since I looked at that, my Installed/Locations and Installed/Vehicles folders are huge in size as it captures Workshop items that I have in high numbers

Do you still think best Option is to backup these 2 folders and copy paste over a fresh RF2 install?
    the reason I am asking is because I don't think I have ever installed items that were not coming from the Steam Workshop, so my thinking was that installing RF2 with basic content is enough as it will automatically download and install Workshop items no?

19. JRS

JRS Registered

I just did that to 'catch-all' everything so I didn't have to go through content manually. The method I used also retains file stamp info. permissions, etc.. Habit as an IT nerd in case those things affect anything. Later, moving stuff back, I was then selective about what non-workshop content I wanted back.

All your purchased and workshop content should come back, yes.

This was an opportunity, I suppose, to clean up. My install was a migrated install from pre-Steam that has been since 2014 ish... ?? :)

This is the first big problem I've ever had with rF2. I'm actually a bit embarrassed to say how many cars/mods and tracks I have installed. :oops: :rolleyes: :p

20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

makes sense so I know what I am going to spend my weekend at:p
    plus its actually a good time to unsubscribe to some mods not really enjoyable to lighten up my RF2 install.
    one thing I am worried though is getting the rfcmp files duplicated on my NVME during the reinstall process in Steam.
    Am I thinking too much or is that a thing and how to prevent this from happening?

sorry for sounding a bit numb but I am a bit NVME space conscious:oops:

JRS likes this.