Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think they should remove or reword that message because it's misleading. It doesn't matter which place you were expected to finish, the rating is calculated in relation to others' positions and their ratings.

Since I think it's based on laps, the race will have more weight. I'm not sure knowing all the details would improve anything.

Yes, some way to see the progress in the last race. Some colored bar or something.

I'd like to see DLC tracks in the beginner's series. It should always contain races with free content, I agree with that, but I think it could include some races on DLC tracks too.

I hope they evaluate using some mod tracks which don't require licensing or maybe could be easily licensed.

I guess there are many more things waiting to happen but it will depend on how successful is the new online.

Rapala likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I can't think of any real world modded tracks that would pass the legal sniff test. There is always a chance any circuit would allow the use, but even such groups as Historical Societies that have control over the naming rights to an out of use track could demand royalties(or more likely a Cease & Desist letter)
    Fantasy tracks that are NOT from other titles would the only avenue that would be safe and even then ONLY with some sort of legal agreement between the mod author & S397.(which requires lawyers who strangely can't work unless first fed Money.)
    I'd love to see Bullrun from Nascar 3 and I'm sure there are plenty of users who grew up with Forza or GT that also would suggest tracks from those titles...just can't when the Race Control is a commercial enterprise.

3. justposted

justposted Registered

Personally I disagree with you on those three points. Well okay, number 1 I understand. They are clearly still working some of those details out. It would certainly be nice to have be reassured that you haven't lost DR when you are just a place or two off the prediction. I assume that isn't what happens, but it would be nice to always see at least that single green arrow when you know you've driven well.

On 2 & 3, I don't really want to know. I think that is what they are going for. Qualify as best you can. Race as best you can. Let the system worry about your Elo in the background. You can tell how you are progressing by seeing the splits you end up in and how well you do in those. For me, that is enough.

I play quite a lot of online chess. It can stop me playing if I see my rating tank because of a few bad games. I start to see playing as a risk, even though it obviously doesn't actually matter. If that sort of feeling can be kept out of my racing, then I'm all for it.

4. justposted

justposted Registered

One thought I've had when looking at my progress in online races is that we can't see results from other splits. It would be nice to be able to review my results in split 2, say, then see what the other split results looked like to compare best lap times and so on.

It would be even better if we could replay those other races to see how the faster drivers do things, but that's probably a bit of a stretch. Mind you, the replay files are pretty small, so perhaps S397 could host them somewhere and make them available via the Watch menu.

pkelly and elgagon like this.
  5. elgagon

elgagon Registered

I think that store all the replays of all races of the online system will be difficult, due to the amount of space required, but if they could keep the replays from the last 7 days, for example, it would be very useful.

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I think that would be too much. Also, in real life it would be considered cheating. It's like stealing information from the other drivers. I think it's already possible to do for the split you're in though and it's useful to know what happened in an incident.

There's already streamers sharing their races and other information, I think that should be enough.

7. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

During Quali sessions my crewchief always thinks theres more people on track.
    Is that CC or RF2 sided?

8. Comante

Comante Registered

It's because they ARE there, just that you can't see or collide them. Every third party spotter see them.
    They should be instructed to see if a session is "private".

9. The_Bad_Fasterd

Is that something I can do myself?

10. Comante

Comante Registered

No I think it should be the plugin developer to do the magic.

11. The_Bad_Fasterd

Thanks, might send him a message...

12. Big_T

Big_T Registered

Firstly I am very impressed with the new race control system and it breathes some much needed life into RF2. It was a crime before having such an amazing Simracing game with so little online gameplay presence. Good Job Studio 397 you now have a real iracing competitor!!!

My suggestion for Racecontrol would be to add more variety to the tracks. The one thing that always bothers me about iracing is the week long slog of the same car / track combo. I have limited time to play over the week and would find myself on weekends actually loading up .. gulp..ams2 just for some variety and quick gameplay.

Also it might be just me but it seems that the same track / car combo is scheduled for the same time slot everyday? The last 2 nights I could only play at 10pm PST and it was the same combo. At very least it would be nice if the rookie 3 car/track combos switched up the start times for those with limited time windows to race.

Anyway I am excited to see the future of RF2 with this new online system implemented.

13. JRS

JRS Registered

How does one get this 'Online' menu?

I've set the steam properties to 'release candidate'. Didn't work. Set it back. Logged out of steam. Logged into steam, set it back. It updated accordingly. Ran a file validation. Run rf2, no 'Online' menu/button.

???

What next?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It sometimes takes people a few (I mean, up to 5 or even more) cycles of doing exactly what you're doing (release candidate, then back to None, and back...) to get it to 'hold' properly.

It may or may not help to delete the UserData\player\LocalSettings folder.

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

After you change to the Release Candidate, is this what is shown in Steam/Preferences/Updates?
    Build Id : 12701137. Keep in mind, the update can hang sometimes. Mine said 100% complete and then another 15 seconds of download occurred. Give it time to complete the process.
    View attachment upload_2023-11-17_16-29-38.png

16. JRS

JRS Registered

Yes, it shows that Build Id: 12701137. The version is v1134. It lists it in my Library as the 'release-candidate'.

For a second time now, I've reverted back to the current release. I've run another integrity check. Exited Steam completely. Rebooted. Opened Steam. Run rF2. All ok. Exit rF2. Switch again, to the 'release-candidate'. Run integrity check. Exit Steam completely. Rebooted. Power cycled my internet connection, and my router. Made sure time sync is correct. Opened Steam. Backed up, then, removed my player.json so it builds a new one. As well, tried deleting the locationstorage folder in the player folder mentioned elsewhere.
    Last, tried removing the player folder all together and let it rebuild.

Run rF2. No joy.

The menu shows; Single Player, Multiplayer, Competitions.

No Online to be found. Idk.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As I said above (but, unfortunately, no guarantees) people have had to switch 5+ times to get it to work. Forget all the other steps, especially player.json because that's not involved. Just switch back and forth a few times (of course, letting the download happen each time).

Did you try deleting that LocalSettings folder too?

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Could you post a screen shot of your main RELEASE CANDIDATE menu? The menu just after the CLICK to proceed movie screen.

19. JRS

JRS Registered

[​IMG]

20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks, that is INDEED the old menu. (what folks who still have NONE selected would see). something is getting in the way of your update process....