Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

maybe it's my advanced years, but I can't figure out how to actually get my car to the starting line. I register, practice, and then with the "clear the grid" announcement I get bounced out. Results show that I dnf'd the race. Seems to be happening to others as well. Can someone provide a step by step procedure so I can see where I am going wrong?

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

you have a very short time, a good practice is to not use all the Qualifying time. Get back to the pits with about a minute left so you can adjust your race setup and be ready AS SOON AS the announcement occurs.

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I was confused by this at first. There are practice and race servers. When it's time for the race you have to disconnect from the practice server and connect to the race server. You will be kicked out the practice server if you don't but still have to press the "join server" button to connect to the race server. In the race server there's a short practice time only meant to give plenty of time for everyone to join.

4. Ricky Law

Ricky Law Registered

What are "the splits" and where can I find out such things?

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

splits are separate races at the same track with other users. So if you have 200 users on a track that has pits for 25 cars, you would need 8 splits. The 'system' is supposed to do that automatically.

6. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

how do you login on a different PC, it only has an option for create new account when you select the new online, thanks

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Not sure how it works, to some extent your steam account is linked so in theory it should pick that up rather than getting you to create a new account (removing game files still leaves you logged in when you get rF2 back up and running). I asked on Discord and that's about what I got.

Does going to create an account let you follow through on that, or does it pick up your account at some point? (or if you enter the same details...?)

I won't tag Jimmi yet in case you resolve this soon. If you can't work it out he might be the best first contact. (and if you can get on discord, the online channels and especially the online-support would be a good idea)

8. Vance Le Garde

TBH Lazza it was using a different Steam account so I will have to try on the other steam account and see if it is linked , thanks

Lazza likes this.
  9. justposted

justposted Registered

Before you click 'join race' look up a bit. You can click on the 'participants' word and it will tell you what split you are in. The higher your driver rating, the higher the split you will (or should) be in. It's a way of keeping the races reasonably close rather than mixing slower drivers with faster ones.

I don't think it is as simple as 'the fastest 20 drivers are in split #1', but that is the general idea.

10. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

hello

I finally came back from Europe this week and fired up the Game but its still not there, even after doing a file integrity check

It is suggesting to remove \rFactor 2\UserData\player\LocalStorage but before doing so, does that delete my Users settings like Graphics and controllers?

thanks in advance

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The controller profiles are stored inside the UserDatar/controller folder. You can just rename the entire Player folder and that will allow rF2 to create a new UserData folder. Then you can copy your controller profiles from the original folder to the nice fresh one.
    Also, to get the new Race Control version of rF2, you have to choose the Release Candidate option from the Steam library.
    Right click on rFactor2, choose Betas, then select Release Candidate.

12. Vance Le Garde

needs a login and logout option so that the account isnt linked to the steam account ;)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think the steam ID is basically the user identifier, so things like bans etc work from it. TBH linking it to steam seems to make a fair amount of sense to me.

davehenrie likes this.
  14. Vance Le Garde

As long as you haven't made a competition system account/profile on a beta that is linked to someone else's steam account...hoping that once its out of beta then it will be reset maybe so we can make a proper account again on our own account

15. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Why would you make an account on any other steam than your own though?

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

At least one person here posted that the Devs on Discord said they were NOT going to reset.

17. Nicolas Cortes

Nicolas Cortes Registered

One thing that I can't understand : Why races in rookie level in the official system are full of people in America's afternoon and there were nobody in LFM races at the same time ?

Official system is interesting by the fact of entering from inside the game interface despite that from the LFM web, but for the moment the official system is poorest than LFM in statistics, given information, and variety. For me is a mystery why LFM have no people yet. Is true that servers problems in the endurances and other races have done a big damn, but I don't think LFM system deserves this.
    Aniway welcome this RC system. I have now races in my time zone and I'm happy about this.

Maybe RC can consider to use some top quality mods in adition of the official content.

18. elgagon

elgagon Registered

In my case, I've had the dirtiest races in LFM in almost 20 years of online races.

19. Rapala

Rapala Registered

My feedback so far:
    • Rating system looks a bit odd. If my expected position is 1 because I'm the highest rated driver, I certainly shouldn't get a negative rating if I were to finish second. In races with many splits, the difference between highest and lowest rated is arbitrarily small anyway. Similarly if I'm expected to finish 20th and come 19th, I shouldn't get a positive rating. If I'm wrong about how this works, then it should be made more clear what's happening
    • It's not clear the weights of various ratings. There's quali and race mentioned in both ratings so at first glance it looks like you're being judged on quali and race equally. Not sure what the actual weightings are but of course race should receive the greater weight. This could be fixed by assigning the actual number of rating won/lost
    • It's not clear how much rating you've gained or lost by looking at your race result. You have to look at previous race, remember the position of the bar and then look at current race result to see how much you gained/lost
    • Having a lot of fun, but concerned the track roster is going to start feeling stale pretty soon, especially for the beginner races restricted to free tracks. It would be great if the races were opened up to modded tracks. There are some amazing mods out there, who wouldn't love to race the Radical or open wheeler at Mosport or Bridgehampton?
    Tldr:
    -Allow modded tracks!
    -ratings could be improved by using actual numbers.

20. atomed

atomed Member

Modded tracks have legal and licensing implications, so I don´t think that is going to happen.

Edit: I agree with you that the more location opportunity the better, but also believe that even official tracks get too used at a certain moment, as it happens in iceracing. That´s why I love the idea of fictional tracks to be pushed to add some colour into the racing environment.
    If it was my choice I´d add more fictional and also "2nd tier" tracks with less pricey licensing that would add much more originality to the spectre.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023