Introducing the New Online Experience for rFactor 2: Powered by RaceControl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bernat, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Bernat

Bernat Registered

2. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Just had my first race at Mores in the tattuus, was super fun.
    I really hope people jump onboard so rf2 can finally pick up some traction.

Its looking pretty promising so far imo, good job guys!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    atomed likes this.
  3. Binny

Binny Guest

A long time coming, but this is the game changer they were talking about i believe.
    This sticks it str8 up IR just what was needed in the sim industry.
    Hats off to all of those involved, hoping its a huge success :D

justposted and atomed like this.
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Might be time to dust off the wheel and show a few people how to drive...

... badly :p

*Oh, and stabilise horizon - yay. That took WAY too long.

nonamenow and Binny like this.
  5. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Awesome news!

6. speedo59

speedo59 Registered

Good evening to you all
    Well done for the job, a few bugs but for a first,
    Thank you for the time we've been waiting for a real multi, affordable for all, I look forward to ULTIMATE,
    (TRACKIR makes the game crash) at least for me.
    Thank you again for your efforts, finally an alternative, a real simu
    Patrick Pomares

7. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Really nice job !!! Love it ...

Where is the suggestions post ? :D

8. Jan Cato Larsen

Jan Cato Larsen Registered

This is good. Very nice clean racing in the first tatuus race I must say. If it by some miracle keeps going like this......
    UI looks good, setup looks good. Works as it say on the tin..... now, just keep the races interresting, and often. I'll be about.

9. The Grigs

The Grigs Registered

Connection to the server shut down when going from practice to qualy and then never returned. I believe there ar connection issues running.

10. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Tried the tatuus last night too. Worked great, quite clean race, but a bit confusing joining practice 5 min before event, and 5 min in the event server shuts down and then when rejoin only 4 min qual left. would be better if, either its not possible to join a practice server before session start or that this server switch to qual automatically.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  11. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

First time testing the new build. I tried joining a race today.
    Does not work for me unfortunately, I get an error message.

I've posted my log if that helps.

Attached Files:

12. Comante

Comante Registered

Check your PC time with a online service, our PC clock tend to drift out of sync and this mess up with Rfactor 2 online system.
    There should be a workaround for this, or a way to sync PC clock to that of RF2 servers within the game.

13. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I had this many times yesterday. I think they commented it could be that the server is too busy or full. I kept trying until it connected. We have to keep in mind this is a beta and participation is pretty high.

DJCruicky likes this.
  14. The Grigs

The Grigs Registered

still no luck for joining rookie events on the daily races. It somehow doesnt load the practice server and sometimes shows the timeout error. Ill try again later, really hope it works. I always wanteda that rf2 had a native ranked and carreer mode.

15. The Grigs

The Grigs Registered

Same for me, 2 days in a row, sometimes it didn't even shows the practice server is up. It keeps loading endlessly. Have already checke my local files integrity, but even after that it keeps the same.

16. Oldgamergazza

Oldgamergazza Registered

Dam, i misspelt my email address and cannot change it, obviously cannot verify my Email address:(
    Any idea how to fix this?
    If i correct it it does not stay corrected?

17. elgagon

elgagon Registered

18. Binny

Binny Guest

Frequently Asked Questions
    How do I access in beta? – rFactor2 Online is in beta phase. To access the new experience, you need to opt-in to the release candidate branch via properties in Steam.

How do I create an account – Open rFactor2 and navigate to the Online button – a notification screen will appear with instructions how to create an account.

How do I change my name/email/nationality – You can do this in your profile by clicking on your name on the top navigation bar.

How do I Delete my account? – As detailed in the privacy policy when you sign up for an account you can do this through a request here.

I signed up, now what? – You’re free to register for any of the scheduled daily races and special events. Build up your driver and safety ranking to compete in intermediate and advanced races. You can also try out hosting a server and race anytime with your friends.

Do I need to pay to use it? – Everything we’re releasing today for rFactor 2 online is free to use for everyone who owns the sim.

What if I don’t want to register for rFactor 2 Online? You can still access community servers in the online menu > servers > community servers.

What content comes with it? – By registering for rFactor 2 Online, users will be gifted the BMW M2 CS to their workshop. Users will only be able to drive content they own, but can still race others they do not own.

Did someone say Career mode? – We are intending to develop a more in-depth league system (that we are calling “career mode”) but it does require more time and certainty of an expanded online player base for the sim.

Do I need rFactor2 to use it? – Yes, rFactor2 Online is only available for players who own rFactor 2.

Can I access any of the RaceControl information outside of the game? – Right now we don’t support this but in the future we aim to have a separate hub for this information.

How do I increase my Safety Rank? – Your Safety Rank (SR) is dynamic and changes either up or down depending on how cleanly you race. Rating increases with clean laps and will decrease with collisions and penalties in qualifying and races.

How do I increase my Driver Rank? – Driver Rank (DR) is calculated by your recent online race results. The system uses an ELO algorithm to determine your performance versus other competitors. Your ELO score is then translated into a rank you can see and then used to calculate which split you should be racing in.

Can anyone race in a special event? – Different special events may have different entry requirements based on on your safety rating.

Can I race with my own custom livery? – No not currently, you can only race online with official rFactor 2 content. We may explore this feature for potential future updates.

Can I still race on my friend’s server? – Absolutely, the primary rFactor 2 open server list is still open to access through the online menus. Simply navigate to ‘servers’ to see the open list of official and community servers online.

Can I make my own server for me and my team to practice on? – Yes, you can now host an online server through rFactor 2 Online. Time tokens can be purchased through the game or via the rFactor 2 steam store and redeemed through the ‘Host a server’ button in the server menu.

pkelly likes this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Nice to know that Electric Light Orchestra will determine our rankings! ;)

justposted, Manfredk2 and MikeV710 like this.
  20. RNelson

RNelson Registered

Well my first experience was a bust. Signed up for the 4pm Pacific time race at Mores. 17 plus minutes sitting waiting for the server to start and I bailed. I also saw that I bad a dnf from yesterday for a race I registered for but had to miss. Chalk it up to growing pains....