After update I can't downshift in GT3 cars.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by kgriffall, Feb 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. kgriffall

kgriffall Registered

The new GT3 cars seem to have some real issues with downshifting on a regular basis. Not sure if it is just me but I have a Fanatec DD2 with the M4 BMW wheel and when I downshift, it quite often won't work at all no matter how slow I go. Very difficult to drive. I use auto clutch but nothing else. Is this an isolated problem? It doesn't happen with any other cars in Rf2 or in any other games.

Kickbox likes this.
  2. kgriffall

kgriffall Registered

After looking through a few posts and figuring out that you can't have any throttle at all during a downshift I fixed the problem. I adjusted my throttle pedal to have a bit of a deadzone at the initial travel, turned off autoblip and auto clutch and now it works fine as long as I don't put any pressure on the throttle during a downshift. A little too sensitive in my opinion. Especially since a lot of Sim Racers don't have precise pedal travel.

Bidle, Kickbox and davehenrie like this.
  3. John_GEAR

John_GEAR Registered

I agree fully with kgriffall. The gear protection is far too sensitive now. I also can barely downshift and almost have to come to a stop before the gearbox allows me to downshift.

I'm used to blipping the throttle on downshifts, so it's kind of weird to fully release the throttle to fix the problem. Never driven a GT3 car, so I don't know if this mechanic is true to life.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Why do folks insist on driving a modern GT3 car like it is a 1960's roadster? You do NOT need to blip, you do NOT need to clutch(once underway of course)..Doing that can be FUN, but it is not necessary. If you are having shifting issues remember three things.
    1. Zero throttle before a downshift will be accepted
    2. This includes the actual fly by wire throttle being under 20%
    3. Upshifting does require some throttle.

Many users have been surprised their high end pedals leak a tiny bit. Building a small deadzone into the initial travel of your pedal often solves all the issues. The current parameters allow up to 5% throttle but one should assume 0% for best results.

5. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Based on what rF2 developers say regarding the authenticity of the GT3 shifting behavior, it is like RL GT3 cars.
    Something to consider: How GT3 cars work in other titles may not be accurate, or developers may simply build-in greater shift margins to make things easier for more players.

The_Bad_Fasterd likes this.
  6. Kahel

Kahel Registered

We'll have to agree to disagree... again.......... just because 'it is not necessary'... doesn't mean I should be prohibited, forced... to do so...

Not to mention situation... where it's not about it not being 'necessary'... like being in a 4th in a corner that need 3rd... mostly thanks to this F-ing Gear protection BTW...
    Already a shitty spot... but then I have to compromise hugely my speed... by releasing the throttle fully... to be able to FINALLY get the DAMN gear I need...

Yeah those kind... love those now... a delight...

But then again... to each their perspective... I'm, at least, glad to see more and more people... voicing their concern...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    Kickbox and davehenrie like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It really has nothing to do with your speed. You can downshift to nearly redline, so the RPM doesn't need to be super low either. Just basically no throttle (<5%). Of course the game not having an inputs meter doesn't help.

@Kahel until someone with experience can tell us definitively, none of us can really say what's right. We could trust the devs, but other games do it differently and people trust some more than others. I will say though: if a car requires a certain technique, (real) drivers learn to use that technique. It's happened in countless cars in real life. That's part of being a driver, and should be part of playing a sim - but yes, only if it's accurate.

8. Kahel

Kahel Registered

Everything you said make sens @Lazza ...
    And...I do... trust... that devs did this implementation... in good faith.

But you just have to check onboard vids with telemetry... to see at least 3 type of input... real GT3... or even Porsche Cup... can do... that we can't with the current implementation...

Again... feels like I said the same thing dozen of time by now... :)... I'm sure this 'implementation'... exist... and is realist... but that's not the point... the main point being... Why choose this one... way to hardcore... in the sim context...

Especially for content that some on us own for maybe 7 years... it's not like it's new content... at some point... content in 'existence'... for so many years... kind of... also... belong the community... using it weekly... on leagues... etc... not just the 'owners'... at the very least we should be welcome to speak out...

Hopefully what I'm... saying... trying to at least... isn't total nonsense... too...

Kickbox likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I do understand, but I also found videos of GT3 drivers with completely zero throttle every time they downshifted. So it's not clear (to me, us?) which cars might impose which limitations. That goes both ways of course - if people can find GT3 driving where they are leaning on the throttle and downshifting, rF2 will seem wrong even if it's right for the cars in it. So some technical explanation of that would be good.

The aspect of changing content, yeah, that's a bit of a thorny one, I can see that. (somewhat like when the controller-users were in uproar thinking they couldn't get the same controls as they'd been using for years, and re-learning would take a long time). As someone who's only rarely driven these cars it's perhaps not so important to me, or I should say I'm not jumping on track to drive the same way I have for years and now it doesn't work for me.

I would say, though, after spending ~30 mins looking at onboards of GT3s at various tracks including Nords, it seems to me there are very few scenarios that would require maintaining some throttle and downshifting*. For me, again from a "do I want to be a good driver?" point of view, blipping isn't an issue at all - it should really take only a few minutes to learn to not touch the throttle when downshifting. But I lean on the hardcore side of sim, so I'll tend to be less lenient with these things. I acknowledge that.

*just to explain: a complaint is the need to keep throttle for car balance, and then you can't downshift. It seems to be quite difficult to find a real driver doing this, and for the one or two parts of a track that might require it, isn't it possible to have already downshifted previously, or to simply not downshift and stay in the current gear?

Kickbox and Kahel like this.
  10. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

I checked the onboard footage of Kevin Tse and he doesn't seem to hit the accelerator when downshifting.
    I can understand the opinion of sim racers, but if "realism" is emphasized, it is important to review the way you run.

11. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

It feels wrong. In all another simulations, you can drive "normally" but here, you can't down shift in so many situations.
    Realistic or not, it destroys the fun with this game.
    GT3 are, this time, useless.

12. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Then they can put in an option in game menu.

13. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

No it doesnt. Theyre perfectly fine if you know how to drive actually.
    If you want fun over simulation I suggest playing Need for speed or something…

14. Wayne S

Wayne S Registered

I seem to have the same issue as John, Its not that I'm on the throttle when I'm down shifting, its that it wont downshift unless I'm basically stopped. I can be in 5th gear, and come take my foot off the gas, and as I try and down shift all I get is the downshift protection beep. I keep trying to drop down to 4th (no throttle been applied}, and just beeps. It will only down shift once I'm practically stopped. (I'm using Fanatec CSL DD 8nm with a clubsport formula wheel and clubsport V3 peddles)

15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Try building a small deadzone to the throttle pedal in the calibration screen.

16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Surely, we are adaptable enough to learn some new driving techniques. Hardware limitations aside (Dead-zone), a little practice with the shift-nannies will make us more versatile (and patient) drivers in the end. A little patience goes a long way, especially when down-shifting, let the rev's drop lower.

Who's to say the other Racing-sim's have the shift-limitations represented accurately?

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

+1!

18. John_GEAR

John_GEAR Registered

Just to be save ... check if you're not spiking with the throttle.
    Now that I know I can't blip and have to take my foot completely off, it is somewhat workable, but I do not feel as if I'm controlling the car, I have to do what the car wants on the downshift. That sucks.

19. Wayne S

Wayne S Registered

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make a point of checking

20. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

I tried to drive 2023 Porsche Carrera Cup (Great Britain) but I can't get into any gear
    (shift paddles My fault: shifter was in 4th gear)
    Car sticks in Box, not able to drive (.. only in (very) poor automatic driving mode).
    .. all is updated, but shift prevent system refuses to shift any gear while standing.

Did this implementation fail?
    What’s wrong with driving in Manual Mode?
    Where is the function off switch or is there a work around?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023