Best car mods to use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilAUTO, Aug 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Hi,

I want to be more open to CAR mods. I use actually almost all official cars.

I have mostly done without it in recent years because I wanted to focus on quality, especially in terms of "realism" or credibility in driving if you prefer (garantited by official cars).

However, I used some that I considered very realistic like Palatov D4, D2, GP3 and F3 slow-motion group, MR1 and a few others here and there.

I want to try new car mods but there are A LOT !

From a "realistic" driving perspective especially, what can you suggest ?

THANKS.

2. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Not sure how realistic they can be, never drove any of them :D But personally I like the URD Moyoda Hypercar 2021, and the URD Glickenhaus SCG 007.

pilAUTO likes this.
  3. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

You can try out old ISI mods they are were devs before S397 .
    The Honda NSX Type R (Road car) is one of my favorites, seems little bit floaty and sluggish compared to real car by looking at videos....but overall solid car.
    Marussia MR01
    FISI 2012

One thing i keep in my while browsing for 3rd party mods, i generally don't go for cars that are too complex IRL like F1 , LMP1. These cars have very sophisticated tech which generally can't be simulated (yet) , and on top of that there is practically no data available on these top secret race cars. So i stick to simpler cars.

pilAUTO likes this.
  4. green serpent

green serpent Registered

AKR and pilAUTO like this.
  5. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I have been racing the new VRC Formula Alpha 2023 for AC and that thing has some serious stuff going on with It. The new URD Darche 992 GT3-R 2023 for AC Is pretty awesome too.

6. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

Surely if modder is good then cars will feel good. but in general this is my rule of thumb.

MikeV710 likes this.
  7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I remember this one blew me away. Aussie Legends. Unfortunately they stopped on developing their pack. IIRIC the only issue is that they did not take in account bottom setup range tire pressures pace, so cars are possible to have much too fast than they should be, but I have driven them a bit too long time ago.

There were a few more car mods that could be considered to belong in hall of fame car mods of rF2 (in my opinion), but sadly just a few outside of mods developed by official developers.

Some that came close were: C9, T280, Celica GTO, AE86 club...

pilAUTO likes this.
  8. AKR

AKR Registered

It is on steam, cannot find the link right now, but one of the most fun mods in rf2 I think. Also search on steam for RR superkart.

9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Thank you for these recommendations.

Look forward to hearing more!

For the moment I use D2, D4, F3 and MR1 from SlowMotion which are of high quality.

The 2 endurance mods 1954 and 66/67 from @mantasisg and @woochoo whose physics are very interesting, with pleasant sounds and graphics.

And recently I had a lot of fun on the Trans Am Golden Age 1968-1972.

The same modders made an endurance mod with the hypercars and the GT3 (some complementary to the DLC), I use it for the grids on the Nurburgring.

I use a few other mods of course.

In circuit in mod I only use the Targa Florio which is fabulous, Ibarra when it will be updated maybe.

But in track I'm still on the Nurburgring Combined or almost.

I don't have in mind the other car mods I use.

10. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

BTCC 90'S from Cyril Cherry - 5 great cars so far with very good BOP

Xzanman and pilAUTO like this.
  11. Xzanman

Xzanman Registered

Usually (but not always) if a mod has 4-5 stars on steam it is at least worth giving it a try.

pilAUTO likes this.
  12. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Apex modding content
    Any
    It’s awesome

yoss and pilAUTO like this.
  13. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I only found the C9 from AC ?

The AE86 looks good but on the Nords it is (seem) not very suitable because it is not powerful enough.

I need to try longer.

The T280 looks great and you really are THE person to judge (your 1966/67 endurance mod).

The Celica GTO also looks great to me.

Thanks for these tips.

Not yet tested Aussie Legends.

If you have others I'm interested.

I will try the other mods that have been suggested by others.

Thank you.

mantasisg and pascom like this.
  14. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

2012 GT3 have good physics but some big bugs (AMG for example).
    Hope this one will be updated, I think it deserve, and yes I think apex modding is a good modding group. Do they made karts from kartsim?

15. Mitch9

Mitch9 Registered

IMO for most of us there's no "realism" in sim racing, only "convincing".

You might find there's something wrong with a car, like the downforce gains when knocking out the front bumper of the alpine when it first came out, but other than that there's no way to assess the "realism" of a car mod unless you have access to the car or plenty of telemetry from it, which is very unlikely since most mods depict racing cars not road ones.

avenger82 likes this.
  16. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

You are welcome. C9 is part of MakCorp C group mod, but I think C9 is superior to other two cars from that pack.

There are many things in life which you can't simply just "know". Naturally we have a bar at which things are just convincing enough. Fortunately and also unfortunately many things can still work while being false, and sometimes even absurdly false. Especially so when false is more attractive to accept. In my opinion the ability to simply see real footage, real pictures is most reliable source of "getting convinced", the only limiting factor is observer. Data is good, but it also can be flawed or misinterpreted, misused. Real drivers are also observers, and they can have highly helpful and accurate things to say, and the opposite as well.

Sadly it is quite undesirable to discuss physics. Maybe it gets too technical, maybe it converges too much with criticizing stuff, and disagreements are inevitable in online world where "like and agree" means everything. Maybe some simracers wants to forget that reality exists, and simulation is not a substitute to it, and will never be.

To end on happy note. We are good as long as simracers still choses right thing, and doesn't push good stuff to the shadows.

17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

(apologies for long rant)
    It's not the most scientific way to asses things, but if I take a long break from rF2 and then jump back in, it's kind of like trying it again for the first time. It's subjective, but some cars just feel "wrong". I can't really get into a nice flow with them i.e I'm struggling to place the car, to hit apexes and just generally drive them well (again, this is getting straight back into it after a long break - almost every car feels okay once you get used to it).

However, even after a long break from rF2, some cars feel right straight away. It's like the transition from real life to simulator is more seemless. This is not to say that all the other cars have bad physics or whatever, it's simply that for whatever reason I don't click with them instantly as I do with the others.

This is not a thread about physics so I don't want to derail the subject. But, for whatever reason some cars feel like the front is a bit more planted into the road surface as you turn the wheel. You can feel the grip of the front tyres better. However, other cars, as you turn the front wheels around the corner, seem to have an on-off-on-off feeling to the ffb. I interpret this as the front suspension/tyres skipping across the track surface as they struggle to maintain complete contact with the road surface over bumps. Not sure if that is correct but that's to me what it feels like.

The mods and 1st party content that I enjoy the most are the ones that, at some point while turning the front wheels, the ffb has a solid feel to it. You apply pressure to the wheel, and instead of it skipping and scrubbing the front tyres, it pushes back in a satisfying springy but solid way. IDK if it's just me who has experienced this sensation. It feels like the front contact patch is really digging in and resisting your input, and you are just applying a bit of pressure, rather than just "skipping" and allowing you to easily turn and scrub the front tyres. It's possible that the better your ffb device is, the less you will feel this "skipping" sensation, as the ffb device is better able to keep up with the rf2 ffb signal. Some mods which I felt were garbage and practically undriveable all of a sudden became brilliant when I returned to them with a DD and i could better feel what the front end was doing.

For me, the mod with probably the best ffb, is the Palatov D2 (electric car). It is direct and solid, and feels as if the suspension/shockers are doing their job and keeping the front tyres pushed into the track surface over bumps. I think the Ariel Atom also has a similar feeling, as does the "Turismo Pista" mod.

Other mods that are simply great IMO:
    NSX-R
    Honda S2000
    Mazda mx-5
    Legends car
    Flat-6
    Mercedes 190
    Alfa 155
    Formula BMW
    MAC CORP Group C
    CTPC Mazda737C
    Ferrari F355 (though there seems to be an issue with the sound now).
    Vintage Vee

The list goes on. I find that the better I get and the better my device is, when I return to mods which I thought were bad I get a totally different impression. I think most mods in rF2 are very good and that it's a crying shame that more people havn't caught on to them.

I would be interested if other people have experienced the "skipping" vs "solid" feeling ffb. (again, not to derail the thread, just interested) is it device related or due to maybe the spring rate/setup being not spot on for a specific bumpy corner.

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

It's an interesting way of looking at things.

19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

There are quite a few nice car mods allready listed. I also like the 90s CART mod by Chieff eventhough I have the feeling that the cars are a tad too grippy and the sound needs to be updated. Another fantastic mod that is often overlooked are the Japanese Touring car classics by Dazzer. They look nice, they sound great and the handling is pretty damn good.

And btw, there is no Sauber C9 for rF2. The car in the Group C mod is the C11. You can get the revised version of that mod on Racedepartement ;)

pilAUTO and mantasisg like this.
  20. TonyM

TonyM Registered

pilAUTO likes this.