ISI Clio Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Danny Vincent, Aug 7, 2023.

1. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

Hi guys. Im trying to do some skins for the old ISI Clio Cup 2010 but im having trouble with the windows. They either come out as a solid texture or missing entirely. I know this is an old mod and probably rarely used now but if anyone knows how the windows work in this template would you be so kind as to give me a quick run through.
    Im using GIMP if that makes any difference.
    Thanks

2. svictor

svictor Registered

A few things to check:
    1. Is alpha channel correctly applied to window, without proper alpha channel window will be solid. You may need to check if template has special window alpha channel or mask.
    2. Is DDS output format correctly set, which should be DXT5 with alpha channel (or new BC7, but not supported by GIMP), and if dds has no alpha channel it will be solid too.
    3. Is the window dds file name & suffix correctly matched the car skin. From a quick look, the clio window file suffix should be WINDOW.dds , any other suffix may result wrong or missing texture.

3. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

I suspect that my issue lies somewhere in point 1.
    I am using DXT5 with an alpha channel and ive got the suffix correct.

I found an old tutorial by Aiden Millward (its been a few years since I did any rF2 skins) as a reminder, and if I follow the steps in his guide i end up with no glass, but i do have the glass surrounds with the heated rear window element displayed.
    Which layer is responsible for the clear glass texture?

4. svictor

svictor Registered

For some reason I can't find clio window template, so I can't check which alpha channel it has.

Usually window template should come with a special alpha channel that you can find in Channels tab:
    alpha.jpg

And you can create mask using this channel to add alpha channel to window texture. There are many ways to do this, here is an example:
    1. Create a new layer group, then drag all layers into this group.
    2. Switch to Channels tab, right click on "Alpha 1" channel(as shown in pic below), select "Channel to Selection".
    3. Switch back to Layers tab, make sure the new layer group is selected, then go to main menu > Layer > Mask > Add layer mask > Selection (or Channel > Alpha 1).
    Done & export to dds.
    mask.jpg

Corti and Emery like this.
  5. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

It took me a little googling to find the templates for car as they arent in templates folder.
    There is an alpha channel in the template so ill give this a try later and let you know how i get on. Thanks a lot for that detailed reply. Never had this problem with the other cars and having little knowledge of how these things work means when it doesnt go to plan its difficult to problem shoot.

6. Danny Vincent

Danny Vincent Registered

That method worked, so happy! Many thanks @svictor

Emery, Corti, svictor and 1 other person like this.