Le Mans Ultimate

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeV710, Jun 5, 2023.

1. trichens

trichens Registered

I'm not sure that working on LMU precludes work on rF2 in parallel?
    A complete "from the ground up" sim in the timescale indicated is a BIG ask.
    We have seen that AC2 has been a long time in development - surely LMU "must" be based strongly on the existing rF2 sim, so it's not unreasonable to expect that existing rF2 DLC will be used, and new DLC required will become available to rF2.

Existing owners of rF2 may not be the target audience for LMU and get those onboard then you might expect cars and tracks to also appear subsequently for rF2.

The problem might be with online racing... LMU specific servers may not - will not? - accept connections from rF2 clients?

But if the timetable is to be believed we only have around four months or so to wait :)

2. EricW

EricW Registered

LMU can also create interaction and attention for RF2 imo.
    Some things simply can't be changed in RF2 because of its structure as is, limitations in the packaging system, etc etc.
    Setting it up can also be a pain for beginners.
    There's a lot of stuff which can be done with LMU and not with RF2.
    Once they have LMU and learn the possibilities of RF2 they will go for it.
    Same happens with ACC.
    A lot entered the simracing scene by first trying ACC and later AC, followed by the rest.

88mphTim likes this.
  3. trichens

trichens Registered

I think that's right @EricW.

As I mentioned in an earlier post... you could describe rF2 ( and AC ) as the "Linux" of sim racing and ACC as "Windows"... there's going to be something that could be described as the "Apple" sim.
    MSG need a "Windows" level sim to draw people in... that could have been NASCAR 21 but now that falls to the BTCC and LMU titles.

If you like "tinkering" with stuff then rF2 will appeal to you.
    I've not done any modding but I have setup self-hosted rF2 servers. If you look at the Steam server list you find that there are a huge number online at any given time.

However, look at this from the MSG viewpoint.
    People can buy rF2 for just a few GBP/USD during the Steam sales.
    Then setup an online server and run events using free track and car mods... and still get rF2 enhancements and fixes for free.
    And MSG don't get a single extra penny for this.

NASCAR, BTCC, IndyCar and LMU "series specific" titles are a way from them to generate some sorely needed income.

EricW likes this.
  4. graphicaluserinterface

graphicaluserinterface Registered

These inferences seem quite safe to be made:
    • This game is aimed at simracers and people interested in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. If the latter are not "hardcore" people, they'll likely be able to use assists to work their skill level up and enter the genre. The studio wants to keep making money and a new game is a new opportunity
    • Until there's word on modding (support or even the game actively preventing changes, like Codemasters and Slightly Mad Studios games), no one knows about community content and support
    • Given LMU is being built off rF2 and the overwhelming amount of current licenses held and the desire to keep hosting or being involved in e-sports/events, it is unlikely rF2 will not benefit of LMU's development, as it is likely rF2 is the testbed and ground 0 for improvements. Whether future improvements get rolled back, we don't know - ideally single-player improvement and package changes but that's a wish

If they choose to stop developing rF2 in 2024 then it is what it is. As long as they don't break the game or aspects of it that would hinder modding or functionality of existing content, it's fine. 19 total pages with so many of these overcome with absurdities.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Yeah, but what's an announcement without doom and gloom and fear turned up to 11 around here XD

6. Bernat

Bernat Registered

In my opinion, that kind of communications serve only to stir up a group of users which get angry easily. The focus of this forum shouldn't be discussing instead of racing. We would be happier spending more time racing and less time discussing business, development and/or speculating.

MarcG, EricW, 88mphTim and 1 other person like this.
  7. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Even if they do say something, it won’t be what people want to hear so either way they’re going to be annoyed.

88mphTim and trichens like this.
  8. RNelson

RNelson Registered

I don't think they need any prodding to be negative. Its a lifestyle for some.

redapg and trichens like this.
  9. redapg

redapg Registered

Yes and what i also don't understand, is, that a negative Assumption is made and then it gets critized.
    Completely strange...

RNelson, trichens and memoNo1 like this.
  10. Germano Cervini

Germano Cervini Registered

RF2 è un simulatore hard core, quindi di nicchia, e per il modesto parere non cesserà di esistere, ma si evolverà, perché a parte il bad multy e il pessimo sistema di competizione, è il migliore in circolazione

memoNo1 likes this.
  11. P4anc4ke

P4anc4ke Registered

My initial reaction was negative but these are solid points. I don't see myself purchasing this though until some historic content i'm interested in is being added.

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I fully agree with you, also adding that there are a thousand small detail bugs that have never been corrected, like in VR changing to any car on board is currently impossible, depending on whether there are number of drivers, even or odd, or by For example, the display of the Corvette C8 where it says the fastest lap and the last lap does not work correctly, as these details I want to indicate that there are many other details, many other things that were never fixed, I was more concerned about fixing all those details than not to worry about if they are busy with the Lemáns ultimate now. obviously run more and protest less about their development and priorities, but never forget the mistakes...
    obviously I mean studio 397

13. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

MikeV710 and memoNo1 like this.
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Since the last update I'm more optimistic that rF2 won't be shelved after all.
    Maybe we'll actually get the LMU content as DLC?
    That would be very nice, even if I'm not a big fan of this category, it would be fantastic for rF2.

Mark Lloyd likes this.
  15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

woot, I've looked for the exact sentence to confirm. It was said: "Not just that, we have worked with heritage partners to recreate the physics on some other incredible cars from yesteryear – keep an eye out for that [​IMG]"

How far does the "yesteryear" go ?

davehenrie and memoNo1 like this.
  16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Where are you getting that info from please? There's nothing about DLCs or the Alpine in that interview you linked too :) thanks

17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The info about the historic content is in the article that I posted. It's the quote from Mantas. I don't see them shipping that content as base content with the game in Decembre. Ofcourse I would like to be surprised but I suspect DLCs to finance further development similar to the ACC model. The info about the Alpine being in the works can be found on twitter. So the 2024 pack is in the works allready as it seems.

MarcG likes this.
  18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I saw the bit about the historic stuff but nothing categorically stating it was a DLC as you alluded too ;) Anyones guess what gets released in December, can't say either way for definite but whatever it's exciting nonetheless.

Lazza likes this.
  19. Binny

Binny Guest

DLC'S was a no brainer, they need to make extra cash from every sim or game they intend to make in the future With S397 and rf2 engine IMHO MSG has got nothing but the RF2 engine to build future sims games that works.
    The real question is will rf2 suffer, or will it get some of the content from LMU and future releases.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Personally I don't think RF2 should anytime soon (get LMU content that is), maybe in a few years time. The reason is of course they will want to maximise sales, they won't do that by offering LMU content on what is their own rival platform. Even if it's paid DLC for RF2 it doesn't make that much sense to me, if you want the very best endurance package available then buy LMU, no point waiting for it to come to RF2, just own both titles :)

davehenrie and trichens like this.