Rfactor2 with Pimax Crystal …

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTClub_wajdi, Jul 6, 2023.

1. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Hi guys… I should receive my Pimax Crystal next week. I will update this thread with a short review about picture quality and comfort and the most important thing, performance and headset tracking with motion system.
    Can’t wait

2. TonyM

TonyM Registered

Great! Can’t wait to read it. Currently on triples 32”.

3. isamu

isamu Registered

Yeah, please test out Dundrod and IOMTT and let us know if you achieve a rock solid 90fps with the Crystal.

4. Bidle

Bidle Registered

And?? Any update or still in an endurance race! ;)

Full_Ninja likes this.
  5. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I returned it after few days !

Bidle likes this.
  6. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Oh boy, that is a bummer. It is one of the VR sets I am/was considering.

7. It is not a Crystal, but similar. I am owning a Pico 4, a Pimax 5k+ and currently I am testing a 8kx - I can run rF2 at high details with the Pico (I am not using to much oversampling and scaling in SteamVR, around / near 100%), which does also work with the 5k+ - difference between 5k+ and Pico 4 is their resolution and FOV.

The FOV on the 5 and 8 is incredible.

Also I like the sound of the DMAS and with the 8kx there is 5.1 sound which is quiet good compared to Pico or 5.1 headset ... with the Pimax 5k+ gauges and e.g. speedometer can be read but you 'll notice the lower resolution - with 8kx detail level is impressive.

The 8kx is running at round 75 FPS with large FOV enabled and I am using quiet the same settings on SteamVR (I have not switched to PimaxXR for various reasons until now) but it is driven by a 3080 and the GPU is sweating ...

Both (5 and 8 one) are not upscaling - I am using native resolution.

The FOV is the game changer - with the Pico you always feel a bit like skooba diver, which is not the case with the Pimax sets.

The Pico is easy to install .. as an Oculus Rift S e.g. I was using before the Pico and the Pimax.

The Pimax is somewhat harder to install and configure - tracking does take some seconds until it is working when I start playing so I think I need to place the base stations a little bit different (I am thinking of using base stations 2.0 in order to use four ones). IPD settings is tricky ... and with the 8kx I am still not satisfied (so I am thinking of returning it). At least IPD offset (software feature) is pretty hard to adjust and most people say colors need adjustment, too (there are some videos of MRTV around).

I have found the 8kx used in a pretty good shape, but I would not have spend 1300 to 1400 Euros for it to be honest.

edit:

I have read a lot of tests and user reviews about Pimax and I would like to say that I have good experience with their support concerning new lenses for the 5k+ (one of them was a little bit blurred after two years), but the 5k+ (which is around 4 years old) seems to die slowly (I have white pixels flashing around the display, one pixel is dead on the left one (looks like a crack in your windscreen ;-) ) and sometimes there is kind of ghosting on the left display as well as it crashed two or three times and became unresponsive)

So this makes me think even more returning or purchasing the 8kx ...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2023
  8. AKR

AKR Registered

Pimax is a terrible company, but I own an 8kx (best at the time and I am happy with the unit), so I am curious if you can compare the crystal against this model. Personally I am waiting for the 5090 rtx (or higher) and the upcomming 12K pimax model.

9. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

I returned it because it is utterly uncomfortable I even would say painful. This thing is fuc.. heavy and bulky. You maybe race with it for 30min with static rig but with motion cockpit it’s impossible to finish one lap. It seats on your nose and with motion it slides left and right on your noise … for that little that I tested it the image quality is very good but sincerely it’s not that much better than my G2 reverb. The FOV is maybe 5-7 grade wider than my G2/mor gasket . When you pay 1800$ plus 400$ of taxes for a headset it most be perfect …. Pimax is a terrible company! I got my refund only from PayPal only after I opened a dispute.

10. AKR

AKR Registered

Agree with bad comfort. Do not have motion, but still it is terrible. I wrapped a sock at the back with some garden stones in it to act as a counterweight. This eliminates the pressure on the nose. The software, design and buildquality of Pimax are the worst of the worst. Still the resolution and fov was the best I could get at that moment. Hence I bought it.

By the way: with my model base station 2.0 does not work good, the image is constantly shaking, so even in complete rest. Pimax helpdesk was not able to resolve it. The only solution is to use a 1.0 basestation, which they advised.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2023
    redapg and The_Bad_Fasterd like this.
  11. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

Congats. Wrapping a sock with gardenstones to an expensive piece of high tech is definitly the best thing ive read on teh intrawebz this entire year…

redapg, davehenrie and AKR like this.
  12. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Well said Sir!

13. Did I do a comparison?

As the Pimax models are all more or less the same concerning comfort, software, build quality and so on (I know the Crystal uses OLED displays while the 8kx is using LCD) I tried to give an impression on some points.