No More FFB for TS-PC Racer?!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by TrigMan59, Apr 21, 2023.

1. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Hi Folks,

I decided to start up rFactor 2 today after a long absence on my fresh Windows 10 re-installation. I have a Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer Ferrari 488 Challenge Edition wheel and their T-LCM Pedals. I have the wheels and pedals setup in Windows with the proper drivers (see below) at 90% Master Gain and the FFB works perfectly in the Test Forces tab and several other racing simulations that I own (AC, ACC, AMS2, etc.)..

I setup my wheel in the settings tab in rF2 as shown below with Force Feedback Strength set at +85%. When I go out on any track I have no FFB whatsoever. Any ideas on what's happening here? I never had any problems before with FFB in rF2 for many years with this setup prior to this latest re-installation of Windows 10. Thanks in advance for any and all help that is provided. I greatly appreciate it.

Roger

upload_2023-4-20_21-14-6.png upload_2023-4-20_21-15-49.png
    upload_2023-4-20_21-14-6.png

upload_2023-4-20_21-15-49.png

2. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

TrigMan59 likes this.
  4. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Hi Lazza. Thanks so much for the feedback. I did everything in the referenced thread, it still doesn't work.

I found this solution mentioned on Reddit, "Try assigning an ffb reset key bind and press it when you leave your pit box."

Where is the FFB Reset Key Bind in rF2? I don't see it anywhere on the Settings screens.

Roger

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That was also mentioned in that thread. I think it's Reset FFB but I'm not at my PC now to check.

That thread was abandoned which actually most likely (but not definitely) means it was resolved. Other users there have the same wheel too.

A trace file might help, the joy.cpl stuff as well (screenshot if you can). Fresh controller file (back up the old one) may change something. The game presumably just isn't sending the FFB to the correct device, there'll be some reason.

TrigMan59 likes this.
  6. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Thanks so much again for the reply. I apologize for the newbie question, but how do I make a trace file and also a fresh controller file?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Making a trace file is shown here. You're just putting +trace=2 in the right place as shown in the first screenshot. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/how-to-create-a-trace-file.62304/

The resulting trace file (after you've run and exited the game) will be in your UserData\Log folder. You can attach it directly to a post here for others to check.

As I mentioned in that other thread, deleting or renaming your UserData\player\controller.json file will make the game create a new one next time you run it. It's usually a good idea to load the controller profile that best matches your wheel (those come with the game), then assign any other controls you feel necessary.

The hope is that doing that fresh will help the game point to the correct device for the FFB, and the trace file might uncover something indicating it's not doing that right.

Screenshot of joy.cpl (Windows+R, type "joy.cpl", press enter, with your wheel plugged in) may be beneficial if you have multiple controllers. In that control panel you should also ensure your wheel is the default device (going from memory, might have worded that wrong). *correction: click Advanced and select the wheel as your preferred device

TrigMan59 likes this.
  8. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

Not sure if it'll make a difference but try clicking the Check For Updates tab in your TM control panel. There is a newer driver for the T300rs (Driver: 2.11.31.0) which cured a loss of ffb issue i was having with another title.

TrigMan59 and Lazza like this.
  9. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm up to date now. I just reinstalled rF2. Here's hoping...

10. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get the wheel configured properly and make a trace file (see attached). When I go to a Track and click ob Drive sometimes the wheels goes nut back and forth and I exit. I click on Drive again and its fine. I start driving, no FFB. I click on the mapped button for Reset FFB and I get some FFB in the wheel, but its all wrong, nothing like I remember in the past when I considered rF2 FFB the best. I'm out of ideas on what to do next. Any recommendations?

Attached Files:

11. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Here's screenshots of my wheel setup in rF2 as well.

Attached Files:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TrigMan59 Ok, having FFB in your wheel is great, takes away a lot of unknowns, now we're just down to settings.

First thing I'd try if it feels wrong is change Force Feedback Strength from 90% to -90%.

TrigMan59 likes this.
  13. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Registered

Hi Lazza - That did it!!! It was originally by Default set to -100% in blue. I figured that must be incorrect and made it + 90% in black. When I put it to -90% it works perfectly. Thanks so much for all of your patient help in getting this figured out for me. I greatly appreciate it. :)