Serverkeys and content you don't own

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by elgagon, Feb 22, 2023.

1. elgagon

elgagon Registered

As Jimmi Allison stated here, is necessary to use the Serverkeys to create a server with DLCs
    But does the server admin need to buy the DLC or you just need to have the DLC installed to create the ServerUnlock.bin?

Thank you.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just on a client. That's already the case by the way, it'll just be a bit simpler when it works right (maybe tomorrow).

3. elgagon

elgagon Registered

Thank you.
    Sorry, english is not my native language.
    My doubt is that, if you don't have to buy the DLC to set up a server, can you create the ServerUnlock.bin simply by downloading the DLC? (without having bought it)
    Or the creator of the server has to buy the DLC to make the ServerUnlock.bin?
    I'm referring to the client side.

Thank you.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Someone who owns all the DLC you want to run, will have to give you their unlock file. So someone needs to own all that content. Then the key can be used to set up any server with that content.

elgagon likes this.
  5. zaphman

zaphman Registered

Na, is that so? Isch. Ok, so server admins needs a key for the content to host, either borrow or purchase? (Unless he get's the hand of an universal key.) Hm... ok there is of course an income for S397, having admins needing to purchase the content to be hosted - but in the long run the more content hosted (free), the more end users will purchase the content. I.e. the ratio between servers and end users and servers should be very low, i.e. the income from servers is soo much lower than actual users.
    So, please consider letting you install any content on dedicated servers (steamcmd) without an unlock key or let a universal key be included. (There may be some security issues involved for sure :/ )

elgagon likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think as long as the server needs a key for that content, there won't be one included - the key needs updating whenever any of its DLC changes.

If they could just remove the whole keys thing tomorrow I think they would, but it's never that easy.

It's not about server admins needing to own everything, it's just about getting an unlock key that's still required for legacy reasons, and any person who owns all that content can provide that. There are plenty of people who own everything, or certainly all of certain types of content (let's say Endurance, or Formula-E, or BTCC, etc). With the game now set up so you still need to own content to race on it or to drive it, while being able to see (and perhaps pine for) cars you don't yet own, I don't see that S397 will frown upon systematic sharing of keys. It's all a win for them, and a win for us wanting to take part and to have more people to race against.

elgagon likes this.
  7. elgagon

elgagon Registered

If the key isn't useful to control the content used by the clients, it would be good to have a key, provided by S397, in the rF2 server folder.
    If i understard correctly at this moment the key doesn't prevent the piracy.

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You don't need to own the content to install it on the server. Make sure you get the latest updates on your server, then just copy the serverunlock from your client to the server.

zaphman and elgagon like this.
  9. elgagon

elgagon Registered

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry @elgagon , I misunderstood the way it works. That's good! :cool:

elgagon likes this.
  11. elgagon

elgagon Registered

No problem.
    At this moment the state of the serverkeys is a bit confusing.
    Thank you.