About the new Porsche Cup 992 electronics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adolfo Bisi, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

We can all agree that the new porsche cup 992 is an amazing car. The development team went where other sim did'nt, and the fidelity of the final product to the real car is unmatched. Even in things that bother me, as the strange upshift protection, were confirmed to exist in the race car.
    But there is one thing that wasn't brought from the real car. The electronic assists.
    Yes, the supercup championship don't use them, but there are categories around the world that do. For example here Brazil, were we have one category with assists and another without it. Pilots were eager to use the new content for training, but now it is not as realistic as it could be.

I wonder if we could have different categories, with optional electronic assist, similar to what we have in the old cups wich we can choose between supercups and endurance.
    Since even in the official Porsche website states that the 992 cup have optional assists:
    https://motorsports.porsche.com/international/en/category/cars/911-gt3-cup-2021

2. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Yeah I think there aware of that, but that would take the charm of this particular Carrera Cup car. If they start adding kits to cup cars, then people will start asking for other things.

The challenge Is to drive It as It Is as I see it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    memoNo1, Smici, Kelju_K and 1 other person like this.
  3. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

what he said in this video at 5:45 is exactly my point... Some categories have it, some don't, so why don't leave to the league to decide wich version to use. That way they could bring this car even closer to the real thing.
    And again, it would be very helpful for a handful of real pilots that race with assists here.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

According to the Sales Brochure on the Porsche website, the items like Traction Control & ABS are ''After-Sale' options. S397 usually licenses the cars 'as is' when they are delivered by the Factory. So that might indicate that additional features would not be considered part of the license agreement.

Smici, Simulation_Player and MikeV710 like this.
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

@Adolfo Bisi You can create an own small Update, that gives you these Aids.

6. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

indeed i can do it with cars from the workshop, but can I do it with cars from DLCs? Last time I checked they were locked to do anything...
    If you have any links on how I can work on DLC cars, please let me know.

7. redapg

redapg Registered

Even if it's limited what you can update, it can be made in many Cases.
    Scroll to the almost Bottom of my Online Tools Site, there you'll find a short Tutorial about it.
    If you can not get it working, open a private Conversation with me.

8. Havner

Havner Registered

What's funny for me is, that if you look closely at the dashboard you can see that 0 for the ABS is in the different font than the rest of the numbers, it's zero taken from a font (contrary to baked in numbers for the rest of the settings) as if it showed the actual ABS setting. Like they planned to include it and decided not to?

I wouldn't actually be surprised if that number worked when you mod in the ABS. I might try later on.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
  9. Havner

Havner Registered

I've modded the ABS in, but the dashboard doesn't change unfortunately :-/

EDIT: lol, I'm blind, the zero I mentioned is in the TC frame, not ABS ;-)
    EDIT2: modding in the TC made the dashboard number change :-D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Adolfo Bisi and Lazza like this.
  10. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered

Could you provide the text for the upgrade you done to have ABS working.

11. Havner

Havner Registered

I've taken the text from Porsche Cup 2018:

Code:
            HDV=[CONTROLS]
            HDV=BrakePressureSetting=40
            HDV=OnboardAntilockBrakeSystem=1
            HDV=ABS4Wheel=1
            HDV=ABSSpecial=(0,,"Available","ABS=(,,,,)")
            HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapRange=(0,0.0909,12)
            HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSetting=4
            HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(0,0," (Off)","ABS=(,,,,)")

The brake pressure setting aligns with 992 making the brake force 100%

Paulfield and vava74 like this.
  12. vava74

vava74 Registered

LFM added ABS to the 992 which runs in their NLS races on Thursday and Saturday.
    And during the races which are basically SuperCup races, it remains with no assists.

Kelju_K, The_Bad_Fasterd and Havner like this.
  13. Havner

Havner Registered

Thanks for the info. I checked their mod, their max ABS setting is twice as strong as the 2018 cup car:

Code:
        HDV=[CONTROLS]
        HDV=OnboardAntilockBrakeSystem=1
        HDV=ABS4Wheel=1
        HDV=ABSGrip=(2.00, 0.00)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapRange=(0.0,0.2,6)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSetting=4
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(1,,,0.2)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(2,,,0.4)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(3,,,0.6)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(4,,,0.8)
        HDV=AntilockBrakeSystemMapSpecial=(5,,,1.0)

14. vava74

vava74 Registered

I haven't tested. But I read someone commenting that the braking felt odd... I think that they may have overdone it, taking a GT3 as a reference for how much the ABS would intervene, being that it probably is a less sophisticated system, as it happens with the GT4 cars.

15. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

I havent tested those changes in game, but the real 992 has an ABS system as capable as the GT3-R, and cup pilots here from Brazil reported a massive difference from this car to the older 991 GT3 CUP. Telemetry shows the 992 is capable of -2.2g when braking at Interlagos, compared to -1.8g from the 991 from last year. The new tires play a big role on this difference, but they say that the ABS is also a lot better.

kados and marmagas like this.
  16. Adolfo Bisi

Adolfo Bisi Registered

Ok I did some testing on the CUP 992 with ABS from LFM, and indeed the braking feels very strange.
    The old 991 cup with endurance pack ABS feels ok. Here is the comparison:
    Both images are at the T1 braking zone in Nurburgring GP
    Top graph is my brake pedal in red, and the colour lines are the brake line pressure from each wheel. Bottom graph is wheel rotational speed to check for any locks. Follow the numbers to see my line of thought.

CUP 991.png old 991 CUP with Endurance ABS
    Brake line pressure goes to the maximum and ABS start working AFTER it detects the beginning of a wheel lock

CUP 992.png new 992 CUP with LFM ABS
    ABS seems to prevent brake line pressure to reach its maximum, even without any trace of wheel lock.

During the lap, the 992 with ABS felt exactly that, as if I wasent braking hard enough, kind of hard to explain.

I would really like to try what you did here, to see if it works any better than the solution from LFM, I just dont have the knowledge to edit cars like that

Edit: I just checked your tutorials
    they seem simple enought that I think Imight be able to do it, gonna try later today, thanks!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Havner likes this.
  17. Havner

Havner Registered

This is the mod based on the old cup car. It won't make much of a difference. The LFM has 6 steps from 0 to 0.2. This one has 12 steps from 0 to 0.9. The algorithm is probably the same. If you align the final ABS authority value they should behave the same. E.g. step 1 from LFM (value of 0.33 I think) should be pretty much the same as step 4 from my mod (value of 0.3). It's late so my math can be off. I hope you get the idea though.

https://e1.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZKMnmZVQvR4jmD0GpPwigAJDJGELHCcxc7

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does ABSGrip default to 2.0, 0 ? The Porsche Cup 2018 you posted above doesn't define it.

Also, does Map > 1.0 have any effect? I don't know much about the ABS code, struggling to piece it together in my head using the dev guide info and these entries...

19. Havner

Havner Registered

I have no idea. This is just copy and paste from LFM mod (as the 2018 cup car is the copy and paste from that car). I don't even know if this variable has any meaning to the rF2 engine.

Again, no idea. Is there even any guide for those variables? The only one I know is the SkipBarber that has no ABS whatsoever.

Those questions should be directed to S397 and the (poor?) documentation they provide us.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The guides we have are these:
    https://docs.studio-397.com/develop.../car-physics/using-the-new-tc-and-abs-options
    https://docs.studio-397.com/develop...w-traction-control-and-anti-lock-brake-system

Without understanding these it's really hard to compare cars, except by the actual effects when driving of course. I've never modded a car with ABS so I'm throwing my hands up here (not in the air like I just don't care).

Havner likes this.