About the new Porsche Cup 992 electronics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adolfo Bisi, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Havner

Havner Registered

Ok, thanks for those links.

So going back to your original question: "Does ABSGrip default to 2.0, 0 ?"
    Do you think that those links answered that? The first link mentions this variable. The second one doesn't.
    The first one says: "grip multiplied by 1st number and added to 2nd".
    So what does that even mean? Does it mean that ABS (any setting whatsoever) makes the car grip twice (2.0, the first number) as good as a car without ABS? Or does it scale with ABS setting? What setting? And how does ABS change any grip in any way? This is not how ABS works!

Again, thanks for those links. I think I haven't read them before. But being a software developer by occupation this is as piss poor documentation as I can imagine it to be.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2023
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's certainly part of my confusion :D

Ok, so I can help with that, because that's how it's been since rF1.

It's calculating a "how much grip do we currently have" figure, for the purposes of deciding whether to reduce braking. A tyre's current 'grip' (inverse of sliding %) is multiplied by the first number, and then added to the second number. If that result > 1, then grip is good and there's no need to reduce braking.

Give it a little time to bounce around in your head and it'll start to emerge how this works. The second value helps to delay the ABS kicking in, because you're giving it a base grip value (regardless of the tyre's current grip) which tends towards not reducing braking.

The example values of 2.0 and 0 just mean that a tyre has to lose half its 'grip' (be sliding at 50%) before ABS will kick in. As the second value is 0 it's purely determined by the tyre grip.

The old (driver aid) ABSLevel parameter then determines how much the current brake (at the pedal) will be impacted by the 'grip' figure resulting from these calculations. 1.0 would mean if the 'grip' is only 20%, then only 20% of the current pedal input will be applied.

Havner likes this.
  3. Havner

Havner Registered

Ok. Thanks for that. Understood I think. Still would be nice if that would be included in the documentation instead of being a secret forum knowledge. I have not been here during rF1 times.

This one I don't understand though. The driver aid for ABS has two settings. Low and High. And I don't exactly see but that explanation how it would affect the previous calculation. Value 1.0 of what? Of the previous calculation? If it's 1.0 it means we have full grip (judging from previous explanation).

Still, none of that answers the question what is the default value of 2018 cup car that doesn't define one particular variable at all ;)

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

On the aid levels: let's say the calculated grip/traction is 0.6. Full ABS effect would reduce braking by 40%.

Low ABS, setting 0.30, x 40%, = 12% braking reduction.
    High ABS, setting 0.85, x 40%, = 34% braking reduction.

The ABS values are set by the car, and the incoming grip/traction is as calculated earlier (by the parameters also set by the car). So a fair amount of flexibility and dynamic effect.

From a cursory glance at the new parameters it's more like an actual system, with the current effect passed along and modified each update. But what's required to make it work, and which parameters are obsolete when the new system is used, is unknown to me.

Documentation has never been good but 90%, maybe approaching 95%, can be deduced by considering all the parameters and comments where available. I'd call that only half-secret, but could certainly be made easier. Some of the rF2 implementation is definitely a step up in complexity.

Havner likes this.