SOLVED Hyundai BTCC driving into wall causing CTD

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Forza_GaRy, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Forza_GaRy

Forza_GaRy Registered

I have tested with the current version (after Q4 content update) and previous and in both cases on multiple tracks, nailing the gas into a wall causes a crash to desktop. The force feedback at the moment of impact stays active, even after the game is fully closed, so emergency off must be used. Easy to reproduce.
    Maybe it affects other cars too. Also I have seen many people experience strange lag spikes online using that car, including twice where it resulted in the car being DQ and flying through the air instead of being in a pit box. We did not have logging on back then. Unsure if it affects other BTCC cars or others in general.

Trace is attached, the game did not produce a rfmini.dmp file. trace=2, traceflush was used.

Hardware is 5800x3d, RTX 3070, 16GB 3466 MHz DDR4 (2x8), Simucube 2 pro, latest version of rF2 after Q4 patch.

Video of example crash:

Attached Files:

2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Maybe that's a feature ?

3. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I'm unable to reproduce.

What damage settings are you running? Is this online? Do you have it offline too?

4. Forza_GaRy

Forza_GaRy Registered

Thank you for looking into this.
    The video was made in an offline race session, not sure if damage was on. But I have also experienced this in the trackday or practice session on an online server with 50% or so damage, when i was alone on track.
    Also hard bumps over kerbs causes freezes irregularly, I might post a logs with timestamps later if I have the time. I think during the freezes on the online server, the game was running in background, during the freeze the car continued driving

5. I_Bellett

I_Bellett Registered

symptoms
    After crossing the finish line, 1st and 2nd did not slow down much and collided with the wall (tire wall?) of the 1st corner. Immediately after that, rFactor2 in 1st and 2nd place became inoperable (freeze state).

Online Race
    Car: BMW 330i BTCC (Q4 content)
    Cirtucuit: Croft (Q4 content)
    Damage: 30%
    Tyre: Unrestricted
    Rules: 2022

https://clips.twitch.tv/ArborealLuckyMacaroniSSSsss-lNd8D95_6Qk-tH8R

kznanasi likes this.
  6. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Are you able to reproduce these issues? Can you post your player files please?

7. Mark Lloyd

Mark Lloyd Registered

Ashamed to say that I drove a car off track and into a wall one day after a very frustrating session, and exactly the same thing happened. After a restart it was easy to reproduce. I simply took this as a lesson not to deliberately crash the car.

8. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I've had this before, but couldn't reproduce it. Went off at T1 Brands Hatch at an angle, I think it was with the Toyota. Tried again and couldn't get the crash. When it happened to me, I saw the tire temps go to 100000 degrees though, and the screen froze, yours could be something totally different.

9. PaZill

PaZill Registered

Same problem yesterday for me, with the BTCC Toyota online on the Nordschleife.
    Crashed at Hohenrain-Schikane straight in the tyrewall and the game crasht.

10. kados

kados Registered

same problem. lfm server in croft.
    bmw and hyundai crash rf2 when you hit the wall hard.

11. kados

kados Registered

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Two questions come to mind, @Coutie saw his tire temps skyrocket which presumable caused the crash due to exceeding any limits the game would understand. But he could not reproduce it. Was he hard on the brakes trying to avoid the crash THEN when trying to replicate the event, just drove head-on into the wall? (could this be the first example of brakes overheating tires waaaaaay too much?)

13. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

The issue was found and a fix is coming soon.

14. Forza_GaRy

Forza_GaRy Registered

Seems like it was fixed, but post is still tagged as WIP ;)
    Thanks for looking into this and to all the people who gave their insights.