Rolling starts complete mess

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by basil_fawlty, Nov 1, 2022.

1. basil_fawlty

basil_fawlty Registered

Seriously I cannot comprehend how rolling starts are supposed to work in this game.

After I run a whole 45 min practice (you know, so that the AI can get at least tolerable) and find the right difficulty levels, there is still the question whether rolling starts are bugged on the particular (official) track or not.

Last night, I was racing at Sebring Johnson layout. With fast rolling start, the action starts at the beginning of the lap. Yes, there is a whole formation lap to do. I stay behind the next car. AI cars can not follow each other, they go pretty fast and don't hold their positions. At the end of the lap, there is no green flag. Game over.

Next I try to press space like crazy which will, 50% of the times, give a green flag immediately (no formation lap). Sometimes. Sometimes not.

In the end, I had to do around 8 restarts to get the race going. Even then, I have to restrain myself to hold position because the AI is slow on the first lap and can easily overtaken.

Tldr, in an official content:
    • there is whole formation lap even if fast rolling start was selected
    • the green flag is not coming at the end of the lap (experienced in many other tracks as well)
    • AI cars don't hold their position on formation lap
    • press space to skip formation lap either works or not
    • AI cars are slow on first lap
    There is still serious work to do to fix single player.

2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Reported it month ago:

https://forum.studio-397.com/index....rts-on-sebring-johnson-club-are-broken.71354/

Did not check if it is fixed with the release candidate but highly doubt it.

Another annoyance with rolling starts is if you have a Quali session and you go to next session (Race) simulating the rest of the qualification (so AI grid is sorted in proper order), you are always in first position for the rolling start. In older versions of rF2 (maybe pre new UI, I do not remember), you'd start last, which makes more sense.
    Unless I'm missing something, this makes it unusable to have a rolling start race with simulated quali session.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This release candidate addresses ONE issue when racing offline. There are, as you have found, many more items for the S397 crew to investigate.

Emery likes this.
  4. coasting&cruising

coasting&cruising Registered