rFactor 2 to Feature OFFICIAL Formula E Content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1 2004, Jul 28, 2017.

1. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

As much as I don't want to sound negative, a few things concern me about this announcement.
    - When the decision was made to go with paid DLC, we were told that both free and paid content will come. Well apart from Zandvoort in August, all we have seen is paid content with the GT3 pack and now another paid pack for FE. In itself this is not concerning, but what is, is outlined in the next point.
    - Releasing a new paid pack, when quite a bit of content is not updated to current physics or graphics standards, or flaws/bugs not being dealt with. In fact in the June roadmap, we were told most content has been updated to DX11 standards which, if you look at S397 and ISI workshop items, you will see is not the case. eg. 3PA and historic content.
    - We were introduced to the new UI at the beginning of the year and even planned to make this the default recently; this is still not completed, yet you push more paid content.
    - Modders have been asking for updated physics and shader files for quite a while yet we still are waiting. If the FE cars introduce other physics/engine changes, how long will we have to wait for that. In regards to the GT3 cars, providing these files would be simple, by updating the Camaro GT3 to current physics specs and leave unencrypted for modders to peruse.
    - Up until recently 2 parts of the tyre dev blog had not even been transferred to the S397 site(thanks for tending to that Tim) but how much of that info has changed with the new GT3 tyre model?

It is all well and good that this content may bring changes to engine physics that will open up hybrid engines and the like, but what use is it if the content is locked up like the GT3 have been. I understand licence issues and protecting a model, but the tyre model is the ISI/S397 interpretation of a tyre, not the tyre itself. Without the rFactor engine, the tyre tgm means very little if anything.
    I understand that some staff may work on content, others on UI and others on development; but if one sector is falling behind you need to look at distributing resources accordingly.

Will I purchase the pack? Probably, to support S397, but S397 need to decide whether they want to be a racing platform or a modders platform. If they want to continue being a modders platform they need to provide the information to bring the quality of 3rd party content at least up to S397 standards.

2. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

The content ISI / S397 consists of about 42 cars.

The priority before releasing new cars (paid or not) should be to update all car content to all the latest physics S397 technology, even if you have to rebuild the tires of some cars.

Switch to dx11 too even if it's secondary.

The content ISI / S397 is largely exceptional: not to update it is pure madness.

Anto870 likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@TheGame316 I agree the current lack of attention on helping modders is a shame, but hopefully this is just while they work on things and sort out where they're going. They've said they'll give info on the modding side of things, so hopefully that does come about. rF2 without active modding just wouldn't be the same; I guess AMS with the rF2 engine wouldn't be a bad thing, but I didn't get the impression that's what they're aiming for.

Formula E is obviously timing, same as WFG wasn't really great for showcasing rF2 but had to be done at that time. The FE tie-in probably cant wait til rF2 is ready (without FE growing in the meantime, and perhaps attracting bigger fish instead) so they had to bite the bullet. As detailed in this thread they appear to have got at least one extra person largely because of this, so while it will probably have some effect on other content we shouldn't assume that means nothing else will happen

As for other posts... too many words like 'joke', 'unbelievable', 'madness', etc flying around.

bwana, Emery and TJones like this.
  4. LokiD

LokiD Registered

the @TheGame316 has possibly brought the most concerning point about all this, I agree. There's some awesome cars being left to die. Seems a waste.

.....and ams on the rf2 engine with reizas polish and attention to detail, would be a much better sim than rf2 sorry to say.

5. Bruce0440

Bruce0440 Registered

I like AMS but withaut day-night, real weather, VR support or sawp pilot, I think is for two legs of 20 minutes races and no for real champs. AMS2 could change all that, I Hope.

6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

7. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Not a fan of the series - and not entirely impressed by the GT3 release...Performance, lack of skins etc. So no thanks this time.

8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

can you not refund the dlc? If your not happy

9. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Dont know if its possible to refund DLC actually...but for now I am waiting for the official skinpack and hopefully further optimizations.

10. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Personnally I am very impressed by the physics qualities (and so the FFB because it is directly related to physics).

The basic car that I used to train because it seemed ideal: camaro gt3. --->>> Done really pale figure next now ....

If I understand Marcel Offermans, we should have the FE DLC next week: even if I do not like the electric, I think it will be great to drive because the physics are made with the real data of cars.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You said in another threat that you don't like people talking shit, yet I see you talking shit pretty often aswell. To pick up your point: where is Reiza17? It has been explained many times, that it is a completely different subject to develop your own engine and content for it instead of pickung a finsihed engine up that has been bulletproof for ten years and enhancing it a bit here and there. How fast, polished and detailed their next project will be developed, needs to be seen.

Now back to topic: I will most likely not get the pack, just for the simple fact that I don't like Formula E and what it stands for. For me this whole electric-car-thingy is just a new way of making money for big manufacturers, who are exploring new ways to dig new holes into our planet to build batteries that are anything but certainly not ecological friendly, and manufacturers who are trying to polish their image. The production of the energy that is needed to drive an electrical car for the same reach compared to combustion engines nowadays requires actually alot more burning of fossil fuels than just to drive a car with a combustion engine. On top of that, what makes motorsport like F1 and FE actually questionable in terms of their ecological impact is flying all the stuff across the globe. So until Formula E is actually something that I would call ecological, there needs to happen alot and be changed. It is obvious that there needs to be some more development into more sustainable directions on how we move, but this whole electicity-hype is certainly not the right way.

Anyway, I hope that S397 keeps on improving the sim and content as they have done so far and that they work together with the modding community. This FE pack will most likely not be their last word :)

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

likewisemate, I don't know where R17 is why don't you ask them? Also haven't S397 done basically what reiza had, bought into another engine to develop on? I know for a fact rf2 and its engine didn't come from S397... whos talking shit aswell eh.?

You wanted a bite...right?

13. LokiD

LokiD Registered

apparently Marcel said on discord you can.

14. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

While we are at the topic of talking nonesense, no you can't refund inventory items (@Mibrandt ). rF2 DLCs aren't sold as most other DLCs, but as items due to Steam limitations.

And in regards to your fantastic comparison between S397 and Reiza and that they are doing basicly the same thing - that was my whole point. I see Reiza struggling with the same problems that S397 are having (aka missing deadlines or failing to deliver promissed features). Next to the fact that there are quite a few ISI developers still involved within S397 who created rF2 from scratch, I find it a bit laughable to compare a sim like rF2 with an rF1-mod (a very good one though).

15. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Attached Files:

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Allright, then I apologize on the part about the refund, as that was not possible or communicated from S397 before through official channels. The question is if a refund really works if you try it. Because as I see it I still can ask for a refund, but it might be in the same limits as with refunding games (aka within 2 hours playtime).

17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

fair point..

18. whitmore

whitmore Registered

FE has been in AMS for some time now very uninspiring racing. Formula cars don' feel nimble like other low powered open wheelers or sedans reminds me of scaleelectrix round and round not much fun in that.

19. rubennaatje

rubennaatje Registered

That's not official content though, fe will be a much better fit in rf2.

20. fsuarez79

fsuarez79 Registered

Here's a cool video of Hong Kong for rFpro.

"During 2017 rFpro invested in LiDAR scanning and building accurate circuit models for all the events on the calendar"

So as far as I understand, rFpro is a completely different animal and they just happen to license rF2's engine, but without knowing the terms of the negotiation between the two companies, I wonder if rF2 also benefits from all this (or any other sort of data). Sounds like too much of a coincidence that both are working on FE content.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Omelete likes this.