ISI where is the headlight gone?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by redapg, Jul 15, 2015.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

I don't know what the reason is, but when i compare Build 946 with 982, there is a huge difference between the headlight "behaviour".
    In Build 982 it seems as if the track would swallow the light. :D

Watch this....

Build 982:

and Build 946:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

3. redapg

redapg Registered

Maybe this Video shows better what i mean.
    I drive in normal trackdirection, make a 180° turn and drive against the normal direction. Look at the lightcone on the street.
    On some tracks that difference is also present, when you drive a whole lap in normal direction.
    As if the light gets swallowed, depending on the XY direction the cars has.
    I e.g. had one place where the light on ground went off completely. Unfortunately i can't find it anymore.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Headlight intensity was changed for build 946, your build 946 video shows way too bright headlights (maybe wrong build, or HDR off?). Build 982 notes say nothing about headlight changes, but I agree it seems road does swallow them a bit. The overall intensity is probably close to as it should be.

5. McFlex

McFlex Registered

That's wrong. Read the first sentence here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/24178-Headlight-intensity-changes-in-upcoming-build

I hate it when false information is spread around.

And it's not a problem of the intensity of the headlight. I raised the intensity by the factor 100 and it nearly didn't make any difference

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Would be nice, to have the Headlights dimmable... Of course, used with buttons :D

7. redapg

redapg Registered

In this point you are right, i accidentally had HDR deactivated. But i already replaced the Video with the right Version in the first post.

BUT that doesn't change the fact that there is something wrong with the lights.

I don't give up and made a new video. Build 982 and recorded on an absolute flat plane.
    Just watch the headlight-cone change, depending on the driving-direction.
    Unfortunately Youtube always messes the Video Quality, so select HD to see it at best possibility.

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Could you change first page videos? They now show twice build 982. I could try to alert some developer, as they are unlikely to respond here anyways.

9. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'd love to see two videos where it is confirmed that both were shot with HDR "ON". No one should spend anytime with HDR off anymore. It has virtually no perf hit anymore and the devs have completely abandoned it. Personally it needs to be completely removed as an option (not even manually in the json). At this point it is almost used a way to cheat when racing in the dark.

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

12. redapg

redapg Registered

But i think that you also agree that we need a better light than just having a bit more than a candle light on some track-parts, don't you?

13. argo0

argo0 Registered

Absolutely. It varies greatly from track to track, car to car. I don't race at night for that reason, which is a shame cos I used to love it in GTR 2. If ISI and more knowledgeable users than me insist it's as realistic as we can get and that it's finished, I'll be disappointed.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Signed!

15. stonec

stonec Registered

HDR must be able to represent anything from hot sun pulling millions of candela at your eyes, to some basic car lights, and translate that all into sensible values to your screen powered by weak backlight. Then it also depends if user has a lit room, how powerful the screen backlight is etc., so it's complicated. Before daytime lighting looked terrible, now it actually looks pretty good. It's probably hard to get it right, but I prefer it this way than what it was before. Online-motorsport.com is having 24H Le Mans event this weekend with hundreds of drivers, so it is possible to drive in night with some cars.

16. redapg

redapg Registered

Kind of funny that you mention that here.
    That was the reason why i started to try to find out what the reason for the "light-swallowing" effect is, because i received a inquiry from the organizer of this event, if i would knew what it causes.

17. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It's the tonemapper. You can check it in devmode.

Modified Reinhard. That's the old one, used in builds before 860?
    [​IMG]

Filmic. That's the new one.
    [​IMG]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_rendering

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2015
  18. McFlex

McFlex Registered

But i thought the new ton mapper was introduced in build 946? So why is the light ok in build 946 and not ok in build 982? Didn't read anything on that in the release notes except any HDR optimisations.

And actually the light in build 982 looks like that:

[​IMG]

And btw in 982 devmod the lights are still ok so maybe the pictures by tosch don't represent the actuall status

19. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, but no, they aren't OK. Neither in the game itself, nor in DevMode.

Maybe i can not express myself in an understandable way.
    It's not the intensity or brightness or similar that i complain about. That i will do if my actual complainment gets solved. :)

And even if i go on someones nerves.......watch this video and especially the light-cone on the surface.
    It changes massively, depending on the direction.
    And that is the same thing when you drive on a track, one corner everything is OK, the next corner you see noth... OK almost nothing.

Watch it in HD please, or whatever youtube calls "HD".

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There is a performance hit, it's usually 10-15 FPS