progressing the 'Game' part of RF2 - championships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I completely missed the out-of-game Log Analyzer!
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...-With-offline-and-league-Championship-Manager
    I've tried the Log Analyzer ver. 2 for one 'championship' race, and I'm surprised to see the depth of the Offline Championship mode, with all the extra stats available. I think it's great!

@Spinelli, that seems like the type of career/championship mode I'm not looking for in a sim, or any game (even 'arcade' games for smartphones), although it could work if all other cars (including AI) use it too. Most of the times this sort of careermode is done in a game, you are the only car in the championship with these upgrades, so you start at the back on the first race, and end at the front of the pack at the end of the season (because of upgrades), which seems rather silly to me.

This form is not realistic for most real racing series, apart from Formula 1 and maybe a few others (WEC Prototypes perhaps), where each team develops their own car with upgrades throughout the season.
    Maybe some 'upgrades' with weight penalties, like in WTCC would be nice.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you're the only car in the championship/series that gets credits then - I agree - that's really dum and arcadey but that's not at all what I had in mind :). I feel you missed a lot of the great (in my opinion) points and scenarios I mentioned especially for online play (leagues as-well as pick-up racing).

3. Nats

Nats Registered

I agree with OP the only thing this game is really missing now is championship mode for setting up a Grand Prix or whatever. It would be great if you could choose cars, choose constructors, choose track order, no of practice and qualifying sessions, race rules, and enter driver names and then play through a proper Championship with constructor and driver leaderboards. I would love to see that in the game.

4. Wozza_UK

Wozza_UK Registered

I agree. They definitely should add championships to rFactor 2. S3 are adding 'customizable championships' to RRRE, which I feel help get a person 'in' to the game a bit more. A sim is supposed to simulate and championships are a part of real-life motorsport so why not?

Something tells me they won't ever do it though. :(

Has anyone used the championships tab in Log Analyzer yet? I saw it the other day but haven't fiddled with it yet.

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

So I noticed that most mods have #(insert number) as car selection. So if you add AI drivers manually you can end up with many different driver names despite clicking only one car. So for example if you click #1 car several times you end up with several different drivers. I haven't tried that if I click #1 (imaginary car number) for example 4 times do I end up with the same 4 drivers every time? If not, then only way to create your own championship is with mods that have driver names (and enough of them) as car selection. Can I somehow unpack for example this #1 car which contains several driver names to just driver names so I could use all mods for my manual championship? (somehow with mas tool?)

6. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

The AI is nowhere near good enough for a championship to begin with - why would you want to race against them even in a single race, never mind a championship? They're half decent on some of the default tracks with default mods, but still pretty "inhumane". Better than rF1, but also similar. Online is the way this game is meant to be played.

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

WUT?????
    Serious?
    However, if you are not interested in offline-racing why such a silly comment?
    Championship in rF1 was a good usable and welcomed addition. So would be in rF2.

8. msportdan

msportdan Banned

stop playing poor quality mods..

rf2 ai is the best ive ever played in a racing sim.?!

end of really.

9. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

The AI isn't bad, but tbh once you've experienced good online racing, offline with AI doesn't really cut it. I'd love to see a championship of course, but I suspect the issue is that getting balanced performance for the AI cars for multiple tracks by different authors, with cars potentially having issues with some mods and not others, such that building out a championship mode just wouldn't work too well.

10. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

You could create some Virtual drivers (driver names, team names) from the tuning section and than select only the virtualrides in your opponents filter which should give you the opportunity to race against the same cars and drivers all the time. and you can fine tune every virtual drivers ai within the ui. Just try it out for yourself, select a car you like to drive, go into the tuning sections menu. now choose a skin for the virtual driver or create one with the create dir button (it will not work with the original skin you have to use the alternative one the game is creating for you to get access to the create new driver button). Create your new driver and teamname and you will find a new virtual ride beside the original #number content. and you can now also edit ai on the virutal ride through the car selection. I mostly do free practice offline but maybe you can test it and see if it would work for a whole championship. But its gonna take some time to get 20 virtual rides but at least you race against your own set of drivers and skins ;)

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Might try that, thanks. I also learned that if you have only car numbers (not driver names), the first driver for every number seems to be the same. So If you have numbers from 1 to 20 you can always have the same 20 drivers if you add each car once.

12. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Anyway, @TIG_Green...

There's quite a bit to it but the simple answer is you can use each car # only once ; just like real life. I explain this in detail in my video "How to make drivers consistent across offline races in rFactor 2" you can find on my website (tools and resources) or my youtube channel.

13. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

yeah and the virtual driver method should allow you to use the same skin on 20 different drivers you are creating. but it makes more sense if you have a lot of skins and apply every driver a different skin. but that shouldn't be a big problem because there is also this livery thread where a lot of people are offering their skins you could use. :) Or you could create your own skins for every Driver with a number. Its not that hard just a bit time consuming. :)

14. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I feel sorry for you if you think rFactor 2 AI is up to scratch. As another user here has said, if you've actually played against other humans, it just feels sub-par.

Grand Prix 4 is the only game that ever had usable AI.

And not sure what you mean by poor quality mods, as the only ones I've tried playing AI with, is Formula ISI and Formula Renault 3.5.

15. matf1

matf1 Registered

Artificial Intelligence is not as good as Humans.
    -We kinda know that. I don't think anyone has come in and said that they race AI because they are better than humans.

The track determines the majority of AI characteristics. 3rd Party tracks are notorious for bad AI, because Leagues.
    If you want to suggest that ISI tracks have poor AI, bar the obvious issues with walls. I'd have to vehemently disagree.

Q: Why don't I league race now?
    A: Because the egos/attitudes/selfishness involved produce negative feelings in me.

Q: How long did I league Race?
    A: Between 1998-2003

Q: Why is the AI better than GP4
    A: Because since the invention of computer, there has never been a better representation of human behaviour than with this AI. Specifically, they have more human characteristics.

Q: How often do I race online versus AI?
    A: About 50/50

Q: Are Humans better than AI
    A: Some!

Money where my mouth is! I've some good examples of AI behaviour on my Channel. Portimao in particular was quite enjoyable.

16. hariseldon

hariseldon Registered

True, bottom split rookie street stocks on iRacing would make anyone wish for AI for instance...

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I think Ho3n3r s memory is playing tricks on him :)
    Really: fire up GP4 and make a vid of this super-AI!
    Then we can talk.

18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I agree with the underlined parts, disagree with Bold. I respect those opinions but don't agree with it. Every time I try to practice for races with AI, I give up after many restarts because they just ignore my existence.

19. traind

traind Registered

agree!

20. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

Maybe your vision is playing tricks on you - I never said it had super AI. It doesn't need super AI to be way better than rFactor 2's. ;)

Obviously rFactor 2 has Multiplayer, though, which automatically makes it better overall than any single player-only game anyway.