FPS

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by gor, Apr 5, 2015.

1. gor

gor Registered

Just downloaded demo 946 and have a strange FPS drops.
    At buildings fps are twice less and not stable.
    It means not only drop from 100 to 50, but even changing from 30 to 70 overtime.
    Can you add something like "very low" to circut detail?
    Becose i assume this take the most resources, when i put it to full, i have 8 fps.
    Or maybe i can do some tweaks by myself?

ps asking friends with full version, they have same fps drop, but looks like only silverstone.

look on fps right up corner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxuyZnRAdL0

i5 4670
    r9 270
    8GB DDR3

upd
    fps jumps only with bots but even if i did not see them. Maybe you should make some "do not calculate invisible object" option?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

With bots you mean AI I presume, the more you use, the harsher it can get and each AI car generates their own shadow, so lower shadows and also lower 'visible vehicles'

Options that influence performance more then others:
    Texture detail
    Shadows/blur
    Road reflection
    Environment reflection

Try those first, your system should be able.

3. gor

gor Registered

Most influence performance option is a circut detail. Its -50 fps at start line even without AI.
    And about AI - when they are far away they still affect fps.
    I belive there are some LoD in game, so why game still render cars wich are half circut away and hided behind sctructures/buildings?
    And i ll say it again, some "very low" "circut detail" option will be nice or at least some advice to tune track by myself.

ps if i understand correct AI action calculates with CPU not GPU?

4. gor

gor Registered

Do not get me wrong, i dont say "fix it now" etc.
    Just look in it and maybe later we have better optimisation.
    Peace =)

5. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I'd say with your setup you could run at full.
    Turn down shadows,shadow blur,road reflections,enviroment reflections and lower number of visible vehicles.

6. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I don't think you need that, you should be able to run it comfortably, if not, you need to tweak settings here and there. it often is system dependant, so find the sweetspots.

7. gor

gor Registered

So i need make all i see looks like a sh*t and run at full circut detail wich i do not even look when driving? :D nah, thx)

8. gor

gor Registered

I understand, devs not look at forum, and you do not read what ppl write. I CAN tune stable 60 fps, but at start line its 60, and anywhere else its 200. Optimization, or clumsy buildings, or render object wich are 6541654 meters away, that what i wonna you fix someday. Do you understand me?

9. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Errrr no?
    You can run everything at full but if FPS starts to be a problem then turn down the mentioned settings.

10. gor

gor Registered

Problem with BUILDINGS, they eat HALF OF PERFORMANCE.
    Problem with NOT VISIBLE CARS, they eat another 1/4 OF PERFORMANCE.
    Its a FEEDBACK to YOU, not asking to "how setup my graphic" maybe "how to edit some files" but not graphic setup.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It is because Silverstone has a very complex and packed start/finish straight so it will always be heavy on your frames. If you run at 1080p you shouldn't struggle too much to run full/very high textures and circuit detail. Theoretically all you'd need to turn down to medium or low are shadows. special effects, movies crowd motion and wind, road reflection (at high it shines as if it was wet so it's for aesthetic purposes), visible AI to 19 or less, and soft particles. I run pushing things a bit and as long as I get 30+ FPS on intensive bits, such as Silverstone start and first couple of corners, I am good because it settles during the race.

12. gor

gor Registered

30 FPS is not comfortable for me, im starting feel bad, its not a joke =)
    And again, its not about settings..nah, lets we go another way.

Tell me please why i have lost fps when i did not see cars wich makes game loss this fps? I belive they should be ignored by GPU, is it right?

Tell me please, is it possible to implement another one option for circut detail - "very low", lets say in next year?

After you answer this two questions you can close the thread =)
    Good luck and have a nice day!

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Well one last tip for your performance. Delete the contents of the folder CBASH and Shaders in Userdata, as well as your player.json and let the new build rebuild them for you.

14. gor

gor Registered

It was clean demo install, without any other staff.
    I saw this things about cbash etc at forum and did it.
    Just answer two questions post#12 and we done with this.

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

well if you are refusing to look into things other then the thing you 'decided' is the cause, then we are indeed done. have a nice day :)

16. gor

gor Registered

You are just ignore questions and give advice like i am kid and do not understand what graphic option do after 4 hour of tuning?
    2 simple answers for 2 simple questions all i need but instead i have full page of ignoring this questions.
    Its seems like you know less than me, useless converse

17. McFlex

McFlex Registered

General advice. If you get 8 FPS with a good system like yours then i think something is wrong with your system. There should be no need of a very low "circuit detail" option for you. You could try to reduce the visible vehicles but i don't think that this should make any difference

18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Jeez... people are so quick to preach.

The OP clearly talks about reduced FPS at a part of the track, and fluctuating FPS. That's it!

As has at least been pointed out, you can't avoid some FPS fluctuation at parts of a track unless you either compromise the visual quality of large complex objects or make them disappear completely. I'm sure ISI sets a target for performance and once they get close enough they leave it - you could push for more, taking more time to cater for fewer people, but it's probably not worth it. The other way to avoid fluctuations would be to add more stuff in the 'fast' areas :)

Of course in practice this might mean one track is more demanding overall than another, so you can make one look better and have to reduce settings/detail on the heavy one, but that's manageable.

As for AI, 'switching them off' isn't an option. Remember this is a game where no car is scripted; performance is calculated live based on the vehicle's parameters. Anyway, if you did fake it how do you draw what supposedly happened if the player later views those cars in the replay? Yes, some other games do fake it like this, and stop you looking at other cars except in realtime, and you get a variation in lap times between live AI and the fake ones... but for any sort of simulation that's not a good design choice.

I am surprised there is such a variation in FPS due to the AI driving around, but this could be alleviated in future by ISI moving a lot of the AI calculations to other threads. They started to do this with the previous build but it introduced some performance bugs (doing things across multiple threads can be very complex), I think the build notes may say how to switch that back on if you want to try it?

Again for everyone else: this isn't about overall performance. Stop with the tweaking advice :)

19. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

Wow people...this guy shows a video where FPS are fluctuating hard despite nothing changes in the rendered scene. IMO this is a valid question why this happens.

@gor could you press Ctrl+c and have a look at the graphics and physics bar? Are they also fluctuating?

20. gor

gor Registered

At least someone understand what im trying to say! I know my english sux, but not so much :D