Why there are so few mods for rFactor2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rui Santos, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Having recently upgraded rFactor2 to lifetime and really enjoying the game since last times i played it (it's not there yet in some things) i wonder why by this time there is so low content for it? Modders are getting lazy? They don't produce mods anymore? Some kind of problem with rFactor2 that prevents them from modding to it?

What's your opinions?

2. Comante

Comante Registered

Modding content or creating it from scratch appear to turn increasingly difficult and demanding as the complexity of the simulation grow. The complexity of the simulation at the same time turn away casual gamers, and with them casual modders. RF1 collected thousands mods in his lifetime, but how many of them are worth the time to download them ? A small percentage I would say. Rf2 probably will never match those numbers, but will surely break the "worth" ratio of RF1's mods. I mean that on average, the mods we will see for RF2 will be mostly worthy of at least downloading and try them.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Really hope so... :)

This is such a great sim, i wish some more people were modding into it...

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The new packaging system in rF2 surprisingly seems to run off old rF1 modders. What is sad is they don't even spend a little more time to download DevMode to realize they don't even need to mess with the packaging system. DevMode works almost entirely like rF1 (ModDev folder of rF2 = GameData folder of rF1). You edit the loose files how ever you want. Edit one line in an HDV file and then load it up in DevMode just like you would with rF1. You only need to use the new packaging system when you are ready to "package" the mod for release. This process is extremely easy too. It can be automated with a batch process actually. The main thing that adds complexity is the new tire model. ISI has lots of tires now and they don't mind people using them in their own mods. In fact they have packaged them all up in one big zip file for anyone to use. You can take an ISI tire and make a few changes to the realtime section to come up with reasonable tires without too much work. There is also the HDR problem. Modders can make their mod look good in HDR but bad in LDR or good in LDR and bad in HDR. Hopefully LDR will be completely eliminated. That will solve that headache for modders.

It's funny that old modders don't want to learn some changes yet they are totally content switching to AC and....... learning everything from scratch. I'm sure with time the shininess of AC will wear off and modders will come back to rF2. AC does have a mat editor which is handy. But I suspect we will see the same sort of thing in rF2 one of these days. :)

5. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

6. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I believe reason is that rFactor2 is not up to the standards of many modders yet, beta release January 2012, years in making with same issues and the same feature/bug items that get dredged-up after every update because they haven't been dealt with thoroughly.

rFactor2 needs series not single car mods and EnduRacers has made a new platform statement 12 September 2014 that rFactor2 is the only new platform witch simulates endurance racing features but they will also anyway keep an eye on the other platforms developments and the HistoriX team keep an eye on the other platforms developments and have not decided if mod is going to be released to rFactor2 or not.

7. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

Low content? I´m not a fanboy but i think theres is enough official content
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/cars/
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/tracks/

Is more cars and tracks then i´m able to learn to drive to be honest. Few important classes are not covered yet i think
    If Isi ask me i would tell to stop making new content and concentrate only in software core optimization (like wet conditions) and updating what we already have (maybe add just edit: a lot historical F1 tracks, but is my taste).

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ISI Content creators dont work on the code, nor do the coders work on the content, so stopping content creation will not in any way shape or form affect the outcome of the code.

9. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

If they fire content creators and hire coders it will affect like i suggested.

edit: sorry for saying that content creators :))

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

oh dear god I'm glad you're not running ISI :rolleyes: :D

11. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

This software should be a modding platform, i think. Like his predecessor (few official content and a ton of thirdy party mods)

edit: btw, instead of quoting me you should try to give an answer to op

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  12. stonec

stonec Registered

ISI track content team consists of exactly two persons. Besides you can't just bring in new coders and expect them to understand how rF2 physics engine (which has been developed for 20+ years) works, it just doesn't work that way. ISI is pretty much the same guys working since days of F1 2000.

Some obvious reasons why there are less mods in rF2:

- Modding is much more complex today than it was 10 years ago, so much more detail in tracks and cars
    - rF1 had no good competition, rF2 has competition from other modern sims
    - Modders have realized better way of making money, many good modders have been hired by companies recently (for example Tuttle by ISI, feels3 by SimBin, etc).

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I'm really curious which bugs you are referring to that specifically impact "modders". There's all this talk from people but literally NEVER any details. How is anything related to modding going to be improved if not a single person can get specific. I'm not referring to something like rejoin being broken for a build or multiple passworded servers not working for a few builds and stuff like that. I am specifically referring to modding. Because there are some very high quality mods out there already so clearly it isn't as bad as people try to make it sound.

Edit: I also don't want to hear about SLI not working... that has nothing to do with modding either. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2015
  14. klaasvh

klaasvh Registered

Finally somebody speaking some sense in this thread.

15. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

When you say content you mean cars and tracks? When a new car is modded does not mean that people involved on psychics department (coders) has to work on the new content(cars)?

op: sorry for this ot and noob question

16. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

gtr2, gt legends, race07 series, nr2003. Sounds to me like rF had more competition back then than rF2 has now. hehe

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

RF2 is a modding platform just like RF1 and I was merely stating to you that content/coders dont do the same job, if I did'nt you'd carry on believing your idea is a good one when it's blatantly a bad one.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

He said "track content". Car models are done by others and no, car physics aren't done by coders. There is someone else (Michael Borda) for car physics. Releasing content is a good thing. The content guys are just like any other modder out there. They come across there own problems and have direct access to the devs to give feedback. In software dev they call this dogfooding. You use the software you create. So in a sense, ISI is modding on their own platform and giving the same sort of feedback the public would give. But they have more pull than the average mod team does.

19. Je suis Luis

Je suis Luis Banned

What im trying to say is that content creator (i think) cant work on better modding tools (as i have already modders complaining), or better tutorials and stuff.
    I think and thats was an obvious changing to rf1~rf2 how ISI aproach this question. As i remember i never played original content on rf1

What i was trying to say too is that giving opinions on opinions to original post with nothing add to op just cause confusion on the thread.

edit: Thanks Noel, i missed "track" word.

20. bwana

bwana Registered

Would take me a year at least to get around to fully driving all the mods I have in game then to master them at all the tracks I have would take another 2 at least..