TrackIR (5) working fine with rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Justy

Justy Registered

Been thinking about getting track ir too. I have a couple of questions though.

Does track ir work ok if you are using a single monitor? I mean it kind of seems that it's more suited to a multi screen setup, which I assume allows you more head movement, without looking away from the screen. Having never used anything like this before, I have no idea what to expect and I do not have the space for 3 screens. :-(

Is it still worth getting track ir with the oculus rift consumer model on the horizon? I would be going for the track clip pro version if I do get one and from what I've seen, cheapest prices are around £140-£150, so it seems a little expensive.

Thanks gents.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

2. team355

team355 Registered

Trackir is an excellent product, better on a 3 screen yes than a single.
    Problem being the smaller the screen.... your eyes need to remain focused on it as you move your head.
    It would be at its best with a projector, where you can look about the screen a bit, if you get my drift.

Hold out for an oculist

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe if a cheap second hand one appears on ebay I'll buy it, otherwise, yeah hang on for the Oculus. Thankyou kind sir. :)

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I actually think that TrackIR only makes sence when u have a single screen, more displaying surface you have, less sence TrackIR has as its a tool to simulate your head movement which does not need to be simulated if you have plenty of display surface, as you actually have to move your head around to look around. As to a question with OR - i was hestitating myself but since FB bought OR i will probably not buy it, and if i will, definetly not any time soon after the release, so i went for TrackIR as i only have only 27" monitor i use for racing. Remember, the biggest downside of TrackIR is that even tho you move your HEAD, your EYEs still need to look directly onto the monitor, so its not as natural as you would think, it takes some getting used to.

Also OR will have downsides too, one of which is that it will block your view completelly, so you will have to press buttons on your Steering wheel of your muscle memory, and using keyboard for anything will be only possible when you take the VR set off your eyes, so close to zero keyboard button assigment is possible for functions that you would need during driving, which for me, after buying T500RS, would be very limiting as T500 doesnt have many buttons on its rim, in this case, Logitech DFG was much better

5. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

If I had triples, I wouldn't see the point of trackIR. You could glance at screens 1 and three and not have junk hanging off your head.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Mike and Jim, I explained the same thing in an AC thread not too long ago...With triple screens you still need TrackIR unless you have like triple 50 inch monitors.

If using a realistic FOV, then with triple screens I still hardly get any peripheral vision out of my left and right monitors. Not to mention dials and such.

And Jim, of course you glance at screens 1 and 3 :)

7. Justy

Justy Registered

Thanks for the replies chaps. Certainly food for thought. @MikeeCZ, how do you find using track ir, I have a single 27" monitor too, so I'm certainly interested to hear your opinion. I was expecting it would take a bit of getting used to, but slightly more peripheral vision without the somewhat disorientating glance left and right buttons.

Cheers

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That should answer your question :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not to mention (skip first video to 2:49)

;)

10. Justy

Justy Registered

Cheers Spinelli, those vids look ace. It really looks like it adds to the experience.

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

@Justy: What i was very very disapointed about was the significant, almost massive latency the TrackIR has, considering that its relatively expensive device that uses its own source of IR light and have highly reflective reference spots (for the hat clip ones), it takes suprisingly long for your head to move ingame after you moved it in real. Dont get me wrong, its not second or even half a second, i dont know how big the delay is, its probably in ms, but its way too high for you not to notice it. Also it takes quite setting up to get the TrackIR profile to your liking (how much is your head movement multiplied on each axis for ingame head movement) along with deadzones etc. Than there is the "picking up other light sources" issue, i had to literally blackout my windows with 3-4 layers of bed sheets to prevent my TrackIR to keep picking up the sun light thru curtains that already were "Black out curtains" with several layers.

After going thru all this hassle, i am so happy that i have it, I now play rF2 with much more realistic FOV, because i can turn my head into corners and to look into mirrors, and more realistic FOV is significantly more immersive, also after you get used to the latency and the fact that you need to keep your eyes streight, you can take advanteges from it, and i simply enjoy my racing a lot more than i did without TrackIR.

My conclusion is: if you are willing to go thru the hassle, Do get one

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

You must have an old version of TrackIR becuse i hear the latency is very, good with TradkIR 4 and fantastic with TrackIR 5.

What version are you using?

13. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

14. Justy

Justy Registered

Hassle and PC related stuff in the same sentence? You must be joking! ;)

Thanks for taking the time to post. I'd certainly be prepared to spend time getting it setup and although it's disappointing to read about the latency issues, I think I may well go for one. It would be fantastic to be able to race safely with a decent FOV. I've tried it in the past, but the lack of peripheral vision, without any form of head tracking, is just too risky for me. The Oculus is still on my radar, but after putting some thought into that, I agree with MikeeCZ that it's probably not wise to go for the consumer model straight away.

Thanks very much for all the comments, experiences and videos using Track IR gents and apologies for hijacking the thread.

Cheers,
    Justin

15. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

When I first got my TrackIR I loved using it in flight games but not for racing. Rallying was good with Richard burns but I still couldn't get the consistency and lap times I could when I didn't use it. Being able to notice subtle movements in the cars attitude was difficult when the view was swinging around and most of the time was spent looking straight ahead sat comfortably in my TrackIR deadzone. :)

I have since seen the light and realised that linearity is just as important in your head tracking as it is in your other controllers. I now use a fairly sensitive one to one set of values. No curves, no deadzones. I'm not sure that when I first got it I would have had the head control to use my current profile but as with most things muscle memory kicks in after a while.

I have to use more smoothing than normal to try and stop some of the stuttering effect I get in RF2 when looking around and that makes the view a bit more laggy feeling.

I can't drive without it now. When I watch videos with low FOV , especially ones with people using head tracking, I move my head trying to see round the corners :)

Oh and I'm using TIR 4 with v5 software.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I heard that adding a lot of smoothing can induce input lag, other than that I read positive after positive things about TrackIR latency (or lack of)...I wonder what's up with yours Mike.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2014
  17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Positivity in feedback regarding latency is extremely subjective. It might be miles better than previous versions, i havent tried them, but my TrackIR5 simply has latency high enough for me not to be happy with it. But it sorta got used to it

18. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

How much smoothing do you have? Do you have the latest version of the software? Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 port (should only be in 2.0)? Do you have the right "mode" selected (TrackClip Pro or TrackClip)?

19. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Well, will try to play around with the smoothign thingy. What is that precision F7 mode anyway?

20. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

It lets you have two different smoothing settings. On the Camera tab you can set how much smoothing you want in precision mode.