Anyone else NOT use HDR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Synthbent, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Synthbent

Synthbent Registered

I used HDR for a while, but one day I decided to switch it off and I really prefer it being off. I feel like it looks more natural (at least with my setup) with the HDR off, I even found myself driving and really thinking it looked incredibly realistic as far as color pallet and lighting goes. I also don't like all the little issues that HDR has on certain things like track lights and mods (some mods aren't meant for HDR)

I think the HDR lighting looks really beautiful but not very realistic. I hear a lot of people say it looks dull without HDR, but I guess real life is a bit dull looking too :p

Just wondering if i'm alone.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I don't know how many do, but for me I would always want to run with it on. While some tracks and some things can be a bit buggy with it, I much prefer the way it looks, and the depth it gives. Areas with little light in an area with big contrast are dark, which looks right to me. Nice deep shadows, etc.

I always remember seeing this early promo shot, and I can really see the difference when I go back to GTR2 and those old rF1 engine titles.

[​IMG]

Things look flat and "dead" to me. I can see the same with old Il-2 1946 compared to Rise of Flight with HDR. In Il2, objects look like there is a setup of artificial lights around all sides of them.

3. datanode

datanode Registered

You are not alone, but I am not with you on this :)

I know a few people that can't stand HDR on. Myself on the other hand, I have to have it on.

Maybe in future it will get toned down a bit but it looks fine as is, middle of day looks flat and bland as can do in real life and the difference in lighting towards the extremes is much better.

With it off it doesn't really render this properly.

Each to their own ;)

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Pas moi - always have it on. Vital at night.

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Always use it.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I used to alternate HDR on/off until recently I set it to off in order to use the additional FPS towards better looking game (until yesterday when I completed my new PC build). Without HDR I couldn't tell if I was running at 9am or 5pm. If all content was done properly we'd not have many issues except for overexposed/saturation (of some colors especially) issues, but alas that's not the case and some places look better without HDR.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

I always kept it off, but with later release I leave it on. I use what can gain FPS to me, but now, I have it on, as it appear it is quite light on my PC. But on the other hand, I drive without antialiasing. I would turn off HDR too if it would gain me 10 FPS.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Always ON for me, only ever time I run it Off is when at a certain track the Virtual Mirrors dont work properly (Bright white during daylight), only happens at that one track which is mega annoying! (anyone know how to fix it?!)

9. ErnieDaOage

ErnieDaOage Registered

I run it because i love the dark places u get in diffrent conditions and if its dark its sometimes so damn dark that u wanna switch on your lights just for 2 corners because u simply can't see the apex. And thats why i love it. The same track on diffrent conditions with realweather plugin and hdr is amazing everytime you visit the same track again.

10. Synthbent

Synthbent Registered

I know what you guys mean about "bland" and "dead" but I kind of feel like that's the way real life looks too, haha. I also find that using HDR seems to make track lights look really wonky at morning / dusk times. I really only save about 1-3 fps with it off, its just a matter of consistency for me, I fully see where you guys are coming from. Its one of these situations where I think to myself "am I crazy? am I wrong?" so I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Thanks guys.

11. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Can you post screens of a night shot with HDR on and off so I can see the difference?

12. Gupster

Gupster Registered

+1 here but there are a few tracks I might turn it on, mostly off recently. The saturation level with it on is over the top for me.

13. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I've only just got rf and after a day sorting visuals I went for off. Imo with on it looked too colourful like forza. IM trying to go for the gritty motorstv look. Also u get some strange purples and yellows in certain cockpits. Around the panels with hdr

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk

14. Synthbent

Synthbent Registered

Yeah, too colorful is what I thought too. I was racing on COTA for about an hour with HDR off, and I decided to try and turn it on. Before I even got out of the pits I noticed shadows popping up and light tracing ahead of the car, and everything was super neon, maybe its just my TV settings, but I prefer it off too.

15. Minibull

Minibull Member

Just another couple of good ones, plus one of I think Tosch setting a nice HDR profile. I think the new automation setting really does help a lot now too in getting the right levels. Still, some tracks/cars that are not done well will always look a bit dodge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Golanv

Golanv Registered

oooh Shiney!

...and HDR on.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

I don't. But only because I don't have the horsepower under the hood.

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I never liked ENB / bloom

HDR performance, overall look and need for profiles for night driving turn me off it.

I like GPL how could I not like rF2 no HDR.
    I see time of day changes clearly no HDR.
    I dont need HDR for night driving it is fine off.

I like to have 150 fps I get no wheel latency silk smooth races online no tearing ( I am told by experts I must be seeing but am blind .........omg )

What amazes me is the range and difference in HDR profiles for the same track.
    Clearly we do not all see the same things.

To need to play with and test HDR profiles for different tracks season time of day clouds is not what I want to spend my time on.

When they fix it to look more realistic with less fps hit and selection of profiles I try it again.

Oh fps hit reminds me, anyone complains about rF2 performance , drivers or GPUs ....... and is also using HDR.
    Where is the sense in that.

19. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

I can not play with HDR off... and more now in last updates with automation improvements. Turning It off feels like death, so weird and ugly, at least with official content.

DD, if people complain about perforance with HDR on is because play with It off is even more ugly and does not compensate fps gain. I really hate AC handling, but I can play It at 1080 at reasonably high settings and with more than 60 when in rF2 I need to go 720 to play just "high" settings and get around 70fps. Performance improved a lot, but still not being enough, or track texturing and colours are not being properly done.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 mediante Tapatalk

20. msportdan

msportdan Banned

I don't like the weird hue you get around the steering wheel with hdr also makes the game look more bright colourful and cartoony.

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_260 using Tapatalk