Can you run championships with the AI ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bsmooth, Feb 3, 2014.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Counterpoint: Do we have any series recently that would support a full season? ;)

Seems to me when URD is done with GT and Prototype Car mods, we might have a WEC grid and most WEC tracks are available. Not sure about F1.

2. SleekBeek

SleekBeek Registered

I can live without championship mode - but it would be great to have a simple way of selecting in game exactly which opponents you want. Okay, so you can create a custom mod with your chosen AI, but I like to play around with my car counts/fields a little between different kinds of series, so it's a bit of fiddly process creating a mod then thinking 'wait, that doesn't quite work...' or 'dammit, selected number 6, meant to select number 5...'. Strange thing is that the second window in the bottom right of the screen in race settings looks as if you should be able to highlight specific cars you want to race against. I don't know, I'm probably just being fussy...

EDIT: Of course, you can do this within during practice using boot/ai, but it's still fiddly having to scroll through the list and working out what you need to add without a visual aid of what vehicle you are adding....

ANOTHER EDIT: Actually, as I'm here, slightly OT, but as I haven't seen this asked anywhere else: is there a way you can have more than 30 cars on a grid? I tried adding the line 'max vehicles = 40' to a GDB and repackaging the track, but it just let me run 30 as normal (given it ran normally I think must have repackaged it correctly).

I saw the ISI Silverstone WIP had 'max vehicles = 28' in the GDB (as ISI say, Silverstone is unstable with larger grids at the moment), so presumably this command does work, but the limit of 30 seems to be hard coded in somewhere else regardless if you put a higher number in...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  3. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^Agree on the first part.

For example EGT Mod will have six cars in total, five of which started in Le Mans. I want these five, two of each (as there are two liveries for each car). I don't want the same car three times if it has three liveries, I don't want the Bayro... currently this requires manual add/boot.

A quick interim solution could be the ability to save and load a grid, i.e. add them manually once, then put to file. And with this ability to save/load a grid of specific cars and drivers, offline/spreadsheet based championships would suddenly be easy also.

Tim, any chance on that?

4. nowayjose

nowayjose Registered

T5 is ready right now, 2012 or 2013 season. It never occurred to me that there would be no championships. This is madness. I feel like playing TOCA all of a sudden.

Does someone understand? Is there sometihng dirty about creating a championship like in Game Stock Car? I don't get it.

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

It seems odd to me that such a seemingly simple feature as a custom championship creator isn't even on the radar (on the software side at least).

The demand for such a feature is clearly there. Plenty of us don't play online and enjoy replicating real world series against the AI.

The lack of such a rudimentary feature is just a bit surprising to me, that's all.

6. TMoney

TMoney Registered

Seems like rF2 is designed for multiplayer primarily and with league racing in mind. With no championships it almost defeats the purpose of AI in general. I love playing rF2, but I'm one who has never once played online. I love racing the AI and playing on my free time at my own pace and rules. Would love a "career" mode. :)

Maybe this is one of those features that if there's enough interest it may be implemented? Show me the pollfax!

7. Golanv

Golanv Registered

My brain just told me to ask that; Is there any reason not to have a championship mode from licencing point of view in the software?

8. rhamm

rhamm Registered

No, definitely not. I assume they think not enough people care about it for it to be worth the effort.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Tell your Brain no.

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd love to have a championship mode that I can customize as well. If ISI doesn't do it, another group will- there's been something similar for every sim before.

11. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Well pCARS will not only have championship but an intricate career. Assetto Corsa is supposed to have a career but I have little faith in it, however I'll be satisfied with customizable championships.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've been waiting for two years now, I don't hold much hope!
    I wish ISI just implement the rf1 as a quick fix, the cch files are created, there's reference to Champ in the plr. Would it really take that long? because as it stands we're ages away from the idea Tim has hinted at.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
  13. datanode

datanode Registered

Quick win? Sounds like it.

Plus, I doubt it would add tech debt.

14. williang83

williang83 Registered

Still the result might be poor, it all depends on the tool and the freedom that will be available. If you are talking about a simple automatic schedule manager that carry on same number of cars, pilot names and take care of the rank and that's all....yes it's possible but you if think on something more serious i don't think so because they are almost refusing to implement a stupid simple championship, surely a complex is not what they want to do.
    Honestly it is sad to see that for most of these companies pure online match game is all that matters. It is not too different from a racing match in gt or forza, except that in these computer games usually you have more laps, more deadly damages (at least iracing), a penalization system (at least iracing) and some sort of qualification session. Now the question does forza or gt simulate a real racing environment simulator(not talking about driving simulator where rf is doing fine)? for me no, so the same apply for these "TOP" pc racing simulators.

15. williang83

williang83 Registered

It will highlight even more the fact that we'd ended up with rFactor 1.5 where except for physics and weather everything else is like rF 1.

Don't know about you guys but when i bought the life time subscription at day one, i was so excited and happy to support ISI. I thought ok we saw what they were capable to do with rf1, no i bet we will go even further. When the first beta came out i was shocked (positively) specially for 60's cars, then we saw rfactor coming out with the topic about future licenses and that was a wonderful news. We got the f2 car and even a f1 and i was even happier.
    However at some point, i started to realize that i've this game with a lot of features but almost all unfinished. Then i asked (in the forum) what is the stage of the game, is it still on beta or out but improving? Someone told me that it is out and improving, as a programmer i know that when you release a software you MUST have at least base features 100% finished (so for me this game is still a huge beta). Moreover i realized the huge similarity with the older version, although i recognize that rf2 has an unmatched physics (at least against rf1). So now i have this product that is considered to be out of beta, with a lot of unfinished features, where i don't see neither a dedicated work to finish them (key factor of beta phase) nor incoming features except for servers, driver swap and other minor things.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Well, since any race produces a LOG file (offline or online), it will not be difficult to create a standalone tool for computing points, fastest laps, etc. for offline championships!

And, Excel is always your friend! :D

It's pretty stupid, I know... you have to leave the game or alt+tab and run the software to see the current Championship status after each race... but it doesn't surprise me considering the way rF2 is being planned. Live with it or leave it.

17. nowayjose

nowayjose Registered

What is this, 1985?

18. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^The problem is, as discussed earlier, that you'd have to set up the grid for each race by hand. If you select 25 cars (two different mods with 12 and 13 liveries for example) and run a race with 18AI, you end up with different combinations every time. So you can't compute a championship on that.

19. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Well I would say from the reaction, sounds like it might be something that a lot of us would be interested in. The sad part is I could do it with Rfactor, so its not exactly new. So we put the bug in the ear, or the squeek in the wheel If you prefer.

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm not gonna go installing Excel just to have an Offline Championship that the games predecessor....released in 2005....handled perfectly fine!!